Are we crazy?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to a wedding in Temecula,CA in April-- is going by Amtrak train the smartest choice of travel?? Neither my husband or I have ever taken Amtrak. Also my husband doesn't think we need a sleeper car even though the route we would take would be overnight. Thanks! Any advice would be much appreciated

I would get a bedroom just to lock them in and not have to worry about them getting into trouble or off of the train and while I am sleeping.

For some reason that has been a paranoia with me and my son.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would much rather take a train than drive from NM to CA! I would also consider getting a Family Bedroom on the train. That way everyone would get their own bed. (HINT: The kids could sleep if they want to - but I wouldn't be surprised if they spend time in the Sightseer Lounge looking out the windows! ;) ) And as an added bonus with a sleeping compartment, ALL meals for ALL passengers are included! And the added price is per room, not per passenger!

I don't see where she said they would have kids with them. :huh: Besides that, I agree with the above.

Edited: nevermind, I found the kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with others here that a sleeper is the way to go. You get your meals included, the room for all of you, and a shower, plus better service for a small price.

Amtrak is always the best way to someplace. ;)

Yes, it's the smartest thing to travel. Which train are you taking- Southwest Chief which serves northern NM or Sunset Limited which serves southwest of NM, including El Paso?

Southwest Chief is the best on-time performance and I've rode several times from ABQ (also Lamy and Las Vegas, NM) to LAX. It's a very relaxing ride and most of the journey occurs at night.

The seating in coach class is similar to first class airline with leg rest. Amtrak provides you travel-size pillow. Be sure to bring blanket or something dress to keep you warm at night.

For sleeper, family bedroom is the best thing for you to use. The_Traveler is correct about it.

Be sure to bring some toys or books to occupy their time.

If you have more questions, ask us! We're really happy to help you.

Well, I'm going to say this............

If you don't mind paying the extra, the sleeper is worth its weight in gold. However, keep in mind the prices:

R/T from ABQ (just assuming, here) to LAX without a sleeper in April is $372. With the sleeper, it's $1564. So what do you get for that 1200 extra bucks? Two meals for 4 = 8 meals; 8 meals at $20 per = $160, round trip = 320. So the last $900 is for excellent service, coffee & juice whenever you want it (for the most part), privacy, security, and views out both sides of the train. You'll also be on the lower deck, so access to showers and bathroom is right outside your room, and the center of gravity of the car is above you so you won't feel as much sway as you would if you were upstairs. You also get your own power receptacles so all your electronic gadgets are charged up and ready to go when you arrive in LA. And the best part is that your kids can be as fun loving and noisy as they want without hardly disturbing anyone.

I may have to digress a bit about the 8 meals vs 4... I don't know if Breakfast is served with an arrival time of 8 AM. I've always got off at Fullerton, but if my memory serves me correctly, they open for breakfast at like 6 AM and should be serving all the way into LAX.

We are going to a wedding in Temecula,CA in April-- is going by Amtrak train the smartest choice of travel?? Neither my husband or I have ever taken Amtrak. Also my husband doesn't think we need a sleeper car even though the route we would take would be overnight. Thanks! Any advice would be much appreciated

YES! The not getting a sleeper. I am cheap but if I had kids I would get the sleeper. It would just be much more comfortable for you. I bet it woud be a heck of a lot less stressfull as well. plus all your meals will be covered so yeah....not crazy about the trip crazy about not going sleeper.

A cheaper alternative to the Family Bedroom (which we've had a couple times and enjoyed) would be two roomettes. One parent per kid. You'd get the same meals and everything, but just would be in separate rooms.

Have a great time in Temecula! Remember to save some time for wine tasting.

I don't know if Breakfast is served with an arrival time of 8 AM. I've always got off at Fullerton, but if my memory serves me correctly, they open for breakfast at like 6 AM and should be serving all the way into LAX.
When I was on the SWC, I awoke early (about 5) and went to to Lounge Car. At that time, they were not serving. When I went back to my room, about 6:30 or so they were serving. By the time my SO got ready (about 7 or so), and we got back to the Diner, they said they were closed! :angry: But the LSA said we could get food from the snack bar instead (for no charge since we were in a sleeper and the Diner closed for this trip)! :)

By all means if you can afford it do the sleeper...then the kids can have cake and ice cream free of charge along with their meals (which aren't cheap if you go coach and have to pay for them.)

Other option to save money if you decide to use coach is bringing your food and drinks along. I've seen some people bringing their ice chest, as long as they meet not to exceed the baggage requirement.

I strongly advise a Bedroom sleeper or two Roomette. The Bedrooms are large enough for all, has plenty of floor space, in-room facilities (toilet and shower, with detached sink). The roomettes allows upper bunk fun for the young ones. MEALS all around as well.

Let me also suggest bringing an inflatable beach ball. At a station stop where there is time, blow up the beach ball and get those kids running around outside. The fresh air does wonders.

If you can flexible by a couple days on your travell dates ,check the on sleeper prices because they can vary greatly

day to day that time of year!

Trainfan

I may have to digress a bit about the 8 meals vs 4... I don't know if Breakfast is served with an arrival time of 8 AM. I've always got off at Fullerton, but if my memory serves me correctly, they open for breakfast at like 6 AM and should be serving all the way into LAX.
Breakfast is served upon arrival into the Los Angeles Basin. I usually disembark at Fullerton, Ca and the chief ususaly starts serving breakfast in San Bernadino.

The OP is going to Temecula. I'd recommend disembarking at Riverside to avoid doubling back through the Santa Ana Canyon by car. In order to get breakfast the morning of arrival, you'd need to get up really early, tell the waiter & chef that you are getting off at Riverside and eat breakfast quickly.

I took my four year old daughter from Worcester, Mass to Fullerton, Calif in coach on Amtrak. For ideas on what to do with a small child for six days on a train, read my trip report:

http://webpages.charter.net/rmgreen/Transcon_in_Coach.htm

Hope this helps

Rick

Makes me wonder. What time does the Capitol Limited serve breakfast?
The diner on #29/30 tends to open around 6:00a. Sometimes, it's a bit later, but AFAIK, it's always open by 6:30a.

Typically the train crew will not make an announcement when the diner is first open because they realize some people are trying to sleep!

Typically the train crew will not make an announcement when the diner is first open because they realize some people are trying to sleep!
That being said, though, if you tell your SA that you want an early breakfast, it should be his responsibility to get you up by then. Of course, never rely on someone else to do what you can do. If you do get off before LAX, you may want to get your shower and everything else in order to get off the train, then be in the diner the moment they open.

The OP is going to Temecula. I'd recommend disembarking at Riverside to avoid doubling back through the Santa Ana Canyon by car. In order to get breakfast the morning of arrival, you'd need to get up really early, tell the waiter & chef that you are getting off at Riverside and eat breakfast quickly.
Keep in mind though that that dumps you off in what's essentially a commuter station at about 7 a.m., or earlier if the Chief is early, which it often is. It might be better to go all the way to LA, where you can rent a car, etc.

5:53 AM. There is an Enterprise Rent-a-Car about two blocks away on 14th st, South of the station. If a small cafe can be found near the station until the Rental car place is open, perhaps that is an idea. But now, we get back to the whole idea of travelling with two kids under 5...

Well, a sleeper is nice, but very expensive for the bedroom size. Many years ago we took our three young children on AMTRAK to Norhtern California from ELP and it was fine. Brought plenty of snacks and games and we had no problems. We are taking our kids and 5 young grandkids on AMTRAK from RAT and ABQ to FUL to go to Disneyland this May. No sleeper. Most of the trip is at night, and as long as an adult sleeps on the aisle I don't worry. If a child starts moving around you'll wake up (sleep crummy in coach anyway), so don't think it's a big deal. The seats are big enough for kids to be very comfy. Just remember to bring along a travel pillow and blanket. It's a great way to travel, and I really don't think the expense of a sleeper is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back