Argentina & Chile rail, and a bit of Indian Subcontinent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Just this week starting to plan a trip to these countries and while there we want to ride some intercity or long distance trains but there don't appear to be many options.

Are there any members here that have up to date information? if so would be very pleased to hear from you.

Thanks

I'm potentially going that way in the next 18 months or so and would like to know as well. The impression I've gotten is that Chile has some service south from Santiago but that it's rather limited and doesn't go terribly far south nor to the places we planned on going (Bariloche, etc).

Just this week starting to plan a trip to these countries and while there we want to ride some intercity or long distance trains but there don't appear to be many options.

Are there any members here that have up to date information? if so would be very pleased to hear from you.

Thanks
Nice trip Guys, sorry I can't help you since I've not been farther South than Panama!

I'm potentially going that way in the next 18 months or so and would like to know as well. The impression I've gotten is that Chile has some service south from Santiago but that it's rather limited and doesn't go terribly far south nor to the places we planned on going (Bariloche, etc).

That's the best of a forum when others can be helped too. We are travelling this coming October and November so plenty of time for you to learn as much as we do.

Nice trip Guys, sorry I can't help you since I've not been farther South than Panama!

Just good to hear from you Jim. You're one up on us as we haven't visited central or south America at all yet except for Baja

Here's a couple of starting points:

The last one is Peru but also interesting if you're "in the area".

Fantastic, will watch them once we get back to the UK. Thank you.

I meant to add that of course Seat61 will be used too, but that must wait for another couple of weeks before I can give all this the time it needs. Just wanted to get the ball rolling as we are both very excited about this adventure.

Basically the flights to and from Buenos Aires are bought, now only have to fill the time in between!

From a quick glance it is exactly what we're looking for, thanks for the help

Here’s one that I enjoyed riding recently…
https://www.trendelfindelmundo.com.ar/en/

Didn't realise there was any rail in Ushuaia, what time of year were you there? Thanks for pointing this out, looks like a must do ride.

From a quick glance it is exactly what we're looking for, thanks for the help

Didn't realise there was any rail in Ushuaia, what time of year were you there? Thanks for pointing this out, looks like a must do ride.
That was on 15 February 2023. Summertime in Argentina. It was a port of call on my cruise. There have been a scarcity of trains so far, but next port is Mumbai…😉😎

Thanks
check out Man in seat 61 website

That was on 15 February 2023. Summertime in Argentina. It was a port of call on my cruise. There have been a scarcity of trains so far, but next port is Mumbai…😉😎

Wow! Are you ever going home?

ps: Can you get a photo of Mumbai Station and post it?

Last edited:
Wow! Are you ever going home?

ps: Can you get a photo of Mumbai Station and post it?
MMCT (Mumbai Central - Western Railway) or CSMT (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminal - erstwhile Victoria Terminus - Central Railway) or both? There are several other very large stations including a new terminal station - LTT - Lokmanya Tilak Terminal. And then there is the interesting good old Churchgate Station which is the terminus for Western Railway.

But all that is many thousands of miles away from Argentina or Chile and is beyond the scope of this thread, so I will stop here.

Last edited:
Notice the 12' wide Suburban train in the third shot

Thank you very much, it has a style all of it's own. Just loved your third photo, for me one of the best rail photos I've ever seen.

Now, must get back to finding out why Chile has such a small working rail system.
A population of just shy of 19.5 Million for the entire country (292,000 Sq. Mile) together with difficult terrain to build in, might have something to do with it. The population of the Delhi Urban Area is over 22 Million, and that of Mumbai a shade over 20 Million. California with an area of 164,000 Sq. Mile has a population of 39.24 Million, and it is not exactly crawling with railroads either, though it has quite a bit of it.

Notice the 12' wide Suburban train in the third shot

A population of just shy of 19.5 Million for the entire country (292,000 Sq. Mile) together with difficult terrain to build in, might have something to do with it. The population of the Delhi Urban Area is over 22 Million, and that of Mumbai a shade over 20 Million. California with an area of 164,000 Sq. Mile has a population of 39.24 Million, and it is not exactly crawling with railroads either, though it has quite a bit of it.

Some good points there and perhaps the people in power in Chile over the years didn't value rail either? Thanks.

Thank you very much, it has a style all of it's own. Just loved your third photo, for me one of the best rail photos I've ever seen.

Now, must get back to finding out why Chile has such a small working rail system.
Thanks!

What I could find in Chile, sadly wasn’t much…

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
MMCT (Mumbai Central - Western Railway) or CSMT (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminal - erstwhile Victoria Terminus - Central Railway) or both? There are several other very large stations including a new terminal station - LTT - Lokmanya Tilak Terminal. And then there is the interesting good old Churchgate Station which is the terminus for Western Railway.

First photos from Mumbai Central, these from Victoria

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpeg
    IMG_2944.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2942.jpeg