Arrow weirdness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Damon

OBS Chief
Decided to surf late this evening in an effort to get my brain off business stuff. So I went to Amtrak.com, and began punching in imaginary trip requests. I figured this would also help me wargame Amtrak's yield management strategies.

Anyway, when I punched in an imaginary trip from Pittsburgh to Kansas City, MO -- uhh, err, make that Kansas City to Pittsburgh -- for June 14th, Arrow came back at me with the word that the Capitol Limited was sold out -- at least of coach seats.

Oddly enough, roomettes were still available.

This is only a guess, but I bet one could obtain a roomette without a coach seat reservation on the CL on the date in question, but it would have to be done by an individual Amtrak ticket agent who has hooks into Arrow the public lacks. How far am I off on this hypothesis?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm understanding your post correctly, then your hypothesis is off.

If you're going to book a roomette (or bedroom) on Amtrak, then you *won't* have (nor will you need) a coach seat reservation. Coach seats are for coach passengers. If you're in a sleeper, you are not going to have a coach seat to yourself.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, then your hypothesis is off.
If you're going to book a roomette (or bedroom) on Amtrak, then you *won't* have (nor will you need) a coach seat reservation. Coach seats are for coach passengers. If you're in a sleeper, you are not going to have a coach seat to yourself.
I believe the ticket in question is a rail fare ticket coupled with a room accomodation charge. If things are still the same you benefit by getting the lowest bucket coach fare (not a seat) when you book a sleeper even if coach is sold out as is this scenario.

You can book rooms on-line when coach seats are sold out and it looks like the train cannot be selected. Here's how.

When the coach seats are sold out, but rooms are still available, the train comes up with no selection button on the left but the large green upgrade button on the right. If you click the upgrade button the available room selections for that train are displayed. Click the room type you want and hit "Calculate Fare" and you will be returned to the train selection screen with your fare shown and the train now selected with the radio button on the left. From then on it is routine.

Thanks, guys. That does make sense. I guess the lack of coach seats on the screen in that late night scenario threw my tired brain for a loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back