Asking for advice and a question about long distance trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clowchan

Train Attendant
Hello all, this is my first time posting on this board, not my first time riding Amtrak. Been using them for four years to travel back forth from home to college and vice versa. This year I will be journeying out to CA to see some friends in July. I will be going from NY to Chicago (Lake Shore Limited) and from there to Los Angeles (Southwest Chief). I will not be using a sleeper car because it is too expensive (it would cost me around $1500 roundtrip for a roomette, unless one of you kind people would love to give me that money. Kidding, of course
mosking.gif
) This is my first time doing such a long trip on a train like this and I wanted to know if there are any tips you could give me or would like to share as in what I should bring with me on the train or what to do. (I looked throughout the forums for something similar to this and didn't find any. Can't hurt to ask, right?)

Also I have a question about checked baggage: I can't do it on the first leg of the trip since they don't do it at my stop but at Chicago they do. I'm used to travelling on planes and used to how they work. I just wanted to know how it works? Is it similar or different to how airlines work?

Thanks so much for any advice you give me in advance.

To check baggage, go to the checked baggage counter at the station, then show your ticket to check baggage. The rest should be easy. Take no that you can check up to three bags for free on Amtrak. The dimensions are 36'' by 36'' by 36''. I do not know about the airlines becasue I have not flown in a plane for over a year and I haven't checked bags on the plane in over three! :)

Edit: clear confusion

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, this is my first time posting on this board, not my first time riding Amtrak. Been using them for four years to travel back forth from home to college and vice versa. This year I will be journeying out to CA to see some friends in July. I will be going from NY to Chicago (Lake Shore Limited) and from there to Los Angeles (Southwest Chief). I will not be using a sleeper car because it is too expensive (it would cost me around $1500 roundtrip for a roomette, unless one of you kind people would love to give me that money. Kidding, of course
mosking.gif
) This is my first time doing such a long trip on a train like this and I wanted to know if there are any tips you could give me or would like to share as in what I should bring with me on the train or what to do. (I looked throughout the forums for something similar to this and didn't find any. Can't hurt to ask, right?)

Also I have a question about checked baggage: I can't do it on the first leg of the trip since they don't do it at my stop but at Chicago they do. I'm used to travelling on planes and used to how they work. I just wanted to know how it works? Is it similar or different to how airlines work?

On Track On Line has some good information about first time travel on Amtrak. Check out those pages HERE.

Since your Lake Shore Limited departure station does not have checked baggage service, you will initially have to take it all aboard as carry-on. Once you get to Chicago, you can check any bags you desire on to Los Angeles. Go to the baggage room and show your ticket. The attendant will tag your bags for LAX and give you a claim check. At LA, you head to the luggage room, show your claim check and claim your bags. Pretty simple process.

Please stop back with any questions you may have.

And, welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!!

A small correction to PRR 60's response: in Chicago, go to the right end of the ticket counter to check your bags - not the baggage room. And note that the guaranteed connection does not include time to retrieve your bags! Thus if the Southwest Chief from LA arrives late into Chicago, and you have to choose between getting on the Lake Shore or getting your bags, and you chose to get your bags & miss the train, Amtrak will not pay for a hotel!

And welcome to AU!

To check baggage, go to the checked baggage counter at the station, then show your ticket to check baggage. The rest should be easy. Take no that you can check up to three bags for free on Amtrak. The dimensions are 36'' by 36'' by 36''. I do not know about the airlines becasue I have not flown in a plane for over a year and I haven't checked bags on the plane in over three! :)

Edit: clear confusion
Thanks for that. I will be carrying only a couple bags. Nothing too crazy (I've personally witnessed the hassle of carrying too many big bags. No thank you) Is a duffle bag fine? I'm planning to bring that with me (I've brought it with me on short trips and have had no troubles whatsoever from conductors with it)

On Track On Line has some good information about first time travel on Amtrak. Check out those pages HERE.

Since your Lake Shore Limited departure station does not have checked baggage service, you will initially have to take it all aboard as carry-on. Once you get to Chicago, you can check any bags you desire on to Los Angeles. Go to the baggage room and show your ticket. The attendant will tag your bags for LAX and give you a claim check. At LA, you head to the luggage room, show your claim check and claim your bags. Pretty simple process.

Please stop back with any questions you may have.

And, welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!!
I figured just as much I would but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks so much. I'm relieved it's simple! And thanks for the website, I just discovered that today.

I'm sure I'll have more questions

And thank you, it's nice meeting you all
hi.gif

A small correction to PRR 60's response: in Chicago, go to the right end of the ticket counter to check your bags - not the baggage room. And note that the guaranteed connection does not include time to retrieve your bags! Thus if the Southwest Chief from LA arrives late into Chicago, and you have to choose between getting on the Lake Shore or getting your bags, and you chose to get your bags & miss the train, Amtrak will not pay for a hotel!

And welcome to AU!
Well the Lakeshore train I'm taking will be arriving in the morning at Chicago and I get the Southwest Chief train in the afternoon (sorry if I confused anyone on that) so hopefully all that bag business won't be a hassle.

Ah, thanks for letting me know on that info about the hotel. I'm prepared just in case such an emergency happens.

I have never found the need to check my bags because I don't overpack. A duffle-sized bag will be fine as there is plenty of room on the overhead bins in each car for bags as well as a luggage area downstairs of each superliner car which you will have on the Southwest Chief. For coach travel, I always recommend a blanket, eye mask and ear plugs for sleeping in coach and a bag with a washclothe or a travel package of baby wipes for freshening up en route since you will not have access to showers.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I hope you enjoy your trip. There will be beautiful scenery on the Southwest Chief through Colorado and New Mexico. Make sure to spend some time in the Sightseer Lounge, too.

One caution: When you pick up your bag, they normally want to see your claim check before they will let you have it. This is unlike the airline system where you just grab it off the conveyor and head out the door. There have at times been some unhappy people because they thought "hey, that's mine" was enough and found out that is was not.

I have never found the need to check my bags because I don't overpack. A duffle-sized bag will be fine as there is plenty of room on the overhead bins in each car for bags as well as a luggage area downstairs of each superliner car which you will have on the Southwest Chief. For coach travel, I always recommend a blanket, eye mask and ear plugs for sleeping in coach and a bag with a washclothe or a travel package of baby wipes for freshening up en route since you will not have access to showers.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I hope you enjoy your trip. There will be beautiful scenery on the Southwest Chief through Colorado and New Mexico. Make sure to spend some time in the Sightseer Lounge, too.
I have to pack a lot because I will be gone for 2 weeks. Ok, cool.

I will keep in mind of that. Probably won't use an eye mask or ear plugs (I'm a deep sleeper) but thanks for the info about the washcloth and baby wipes. I'll make sure to bring those

I'm very excited about that part. I love travelling and seeing new things. I'll make sure I will.

One caution: When you pick up your bag, they normally want to see your claim check before they will let you have it. This is unlike the airline system where you just grab it off the conveyor and head out the door. There have at times been some unhappy people because they thought "hey, that's mine" was enough and found out that is was not.
Thanks. I'll make sure to tell my travelmate about that.

Bring as much food - that you like - as you can, stuff that will keep. Of course you can buy meals in the dining car and the cafe car, but I find it's great to have some of my own stuff along as well. Apples, raisins and nuts, peanut butter and bread, etc. That's where you might like to check luggage you don't need on the trip, so you have more room to carry stuff you will consume.

Bring books, computer/dvd player, camera, phone. You may find a use for all these things. With the phone, be courteous of other passengers, particularly late in the evening. The cafe car can be a little better place to use the phone than in the coach seats.

I always bring a notebook to write down impressions of things I see, both exterior scenery and interior scenery (other passengers) :)

Have fun!

You don't say if you are male or female. If you are female, I can tell you that there is a ladies' dressing room among the restrooms downstairs in coach. There is ample room (and a private inner restroom) so you can get good and clean. The guys in coach must make do with tiny closets to clean and change in, but yes, it is both possible and necessary to "freshen up" each day. And yes, your own food and water (or juice) are a good idea if you want to save money and eat well too. I pull a rolling suitcase/duffel, wear a computer pack, and carry a tote bag for the food and water.

You don't say if you are male or female. If you are female, I can tell you that there is a ladies' dressing room among the restrooms downstairs in coach. There is ample room (and a private inner restroom) so you can get good and clean. The guys in coach must make do with tiny closets to clean and change in, but yes, it is both possible and necessary to "freshen up" each day. And yes, your own food and water (or juice) are a good idea if you want to save money and eat well too. I pull a rolling suitcase/duffel, wear a computer pack, and carry a tote bag for the food and water.
Well, you just leaked that you are femalf, even though you say "not telling". :cool:

Bring as much food - that you like - as you can, stuff that will keep. Of course you can buy meals in the dining car and the cafe car, but I find it's great to have some of my own stuff along as well. Apples, raisins and nuts, peanut butter and bread, etc. That's where you might like to check luggage you don't need on the trip, so you have more room to carry stuff you will consume.

Bring books, computer/dvd player, camera, phone. You may find a use for all these things. With the phone, be courteous of other passengers, particularly late in the evening. The cafe car can be a little better place to use the phone than in the coach seats.

I always bring a notebook to write down impressions of things I see, both exterior scenery and interior scenery (other passengers) :)

Have fun!
Sweet. I'm planning to do that.

Definitely bringing a computer and camera. I rarely use my phone so that won't be a problem (I'm not a fan of cell phones, I just carry it for emergencies).

Ooh! That's a good idea. Thank you for that!

I'm a chick. Oh really? Heh, that's awesome.

I'm planning to bring a backpack and laptop tote. Will be checking a duffel

Personal ID which everyone should be carrying is generally enough, in case you lose the tag too.

Personal ID which everyone should be carrying is generally enough, in case you lose the tag too.
Ok, cool. Thank you. I'll make sure and double check I have my state ID

My understanding is the former Ladies Dressing Room at the end of hall is now open to anyone and as Coaches go in for heavy maintenance the LADIES LOUNGE signs (or whatever they say) are being removed.

It's still not cheap, but consider these ideas for a sleeper. First, consider breaking it up. If you can score a sleeper onboard, it'll be a whole lot cheaper. And, if you get something on the LSL, then you will get accesses to the Metro Lounge in CHI. Then, ask again on the SW Chief when you get to Albuquerque. The advantages are obvious, and it never hurts to ask.

That all being said, the likelygood is probably slim being peak season.

Take lots of pictures from Trinidad, CO to ABQ. This scenic route could go extinct in the next three years.

Edit: Just looked at some prices. You should be able to call an agent and add just the last night in a roomette from ABQ for a good price. Even if it is up to $300, imagine a good sleep and shower after three days of traveling. And it does look to be a pretty busy time...

It's still not cheap, but consider these ideas for a sleeper. First, consider breaking it up. If you can score a sleeper onboard, it'll be a whole lot cheaper. And, if you get something on the LSL, then you will get accesses to the Metro Lounge in CHI. Then, ask again on the SW Chief when you get to Albuquerque. The advantages are obvious, and it never hurts to ask.

Take lots of pictures from Trinidad, CO to ABQ. This scenic route could go extinct in the next three years.

Edit: Just looked at some prices. You should be able to call an agent and add just the last night in a roomette from ABQ for a good price. Even if it is up to $300, imagine a good sleep and shower after three days of traveling. And it does look to be a pretty busy time...
I've actually been thinking about getting a sleeper. Don't know if I'll get one for LSL since it's only 17 hours (well supposedly but even I know trains can be late). I've survived an 18 hour flight overseas on a plane four times before, I'm sure I can with a train (although that tip looks tempting) I might try with SW even though it is the middle of summer but like you said "never hurts to ask", even though the risk is high. I'm travelling with a companion too, so I need to see how that works out. Also I'm kinda on a budget, so that $300 is scaring me a little (especially if it's one night!
blink.gif
)

I'm planning on taking LOTS of pics of everything. I'm a bit of a photo nut
biggrin.gif

I've actually been thinking about getting a sleeper. Don't know if I'll get one for LSL since it's only 17 hours (well supposedly but even I know trains can be late). I've survived an 18 hour flight overseas on a plane four times before, I'm sure I can with a train (although that tip looks tempting) I might try with SW even though it is the middle of summer but like you said "never hurts to ask", even though the risk is high. I'm travelling with a companion too, so I need to see how that works out. Also I'm kinda on a budget, so that $300 is scaring me a little (especially if it's one night!
blink.gif
)

biggrin.gif
The price of sleepers is per room, not per person. So the $300 would be $150 + the rail fare for each of you if you share it with your companion. The rail fare may be even less than what you paid for coach...for the segment you're in the room. And the sleeper fare includes meals in the diner.

Hello all, this is my first time posting on this board, not my first time riding Amtrak. Been using them for four years to travel back forth from home to college and vice versa. This year I will be journeying out to CA to see some friends in July. I will be going from NY to Chicago (Lake Shore Limited) and from there to Los Angeles (Southwest Chief).

I have a question about checked baggage: I can't do it on the first leg of the trip since they don't do it at my stop but at Chicago they do. I'm used to travelling on planes and used to how they work. I just wanted to know how it works? Is it similar or different to how airlines work?

First, welcome to the Forum. My wife and I followed the same route you're taking last year when we went from Florida to Vancouver, BC roundtrip. It was 95% fun!

You don't say where you'll be boarding the Lake Shore Limited, but is it possible to consider using another station -- one that handles checked baggage? That would totally eliminate the hassle of dealing with them in Chicago. You're probably aware that Amtrak will handle the transfer of your checked bags from the Lake Shore Limited to the Southwest Chief. I would seriously think of doing that.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you guys will have a blast! Relax and enjoy the trip.

blink.gif
)

biggrin.gif
Don't know if anybody has said this, but you can use www.amsnag.net to search for cheaper train fares across multiple dates.

The price of sleepers is per room, not per person. So the $300 would be $150 + the rail fare for each of you if you share it with your companion. The rail fare may be even less than what you paid for coach...for the segment you're in the room. And the sleeper fare includes meals in the diner.
Oh yeah, I understand that's the room price. My companion wouldn't be able to afford to split it. (I already bought my tickets since I hit a lucky break and got the coach fare for real cheap)

First, welcome to the Forum. My wife and I followed the same route you're taking last year when we went from Florida to Vancouver, BC roundtrip. It was 95% fun!

You don't say where you'll be boarding the Lake Shore Limited, but is it possible to consider using another station -- one that handles checked baggage? That would totally eliminate the hassle of dealing with them in Chicago. You're probably aware that Amtrak will handle the transfer of your checked bags from the Lake Shore Limited to the Southwest Chief. I would seriously think of doing that.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you guys will have a blast! Relax and enjoy the trip.
Thank you. What was 5% that wasn't fun?

I'll be boarding out of Poughkeepsie. I won't be able to board anywhere else since it's the closest to where I live and I don't driver's licence to get to anywhere else. I'm happy that Chicago does checked baggage, I can handle getting and bringing my bags on the first leg of trip. Thank you for the advice though.

Don't know if anybody has said this, but you can use www.amsnag.net to search for cheaper train fares across multiple dates.
I already checked them and they aren't showing fares that are cheaper than what I got (well at the moment), plus I bought my tickets already.

We ran into some rogue Amtrak staff who liked to make up their own rules as they went along. Also one truly horrible Sleeping Car Attendant, and one dining car crew that didn't seem to want to be there.

But I'd rather focus on the 95% that was great. The scenery was awesome, the food was good and we met some interesting people along the way.

We ran into some rogue Amtrak staff who liked to make up their own rules as they went along. Also one truly horrible Sleeping Car Attendant, and one dining car crew that didn't seem to want to be there.

But I'd rather focus on the 95% that was great. The scenery was awesome, the food was good and we met some interesting people along the way.
Ah, ok. I was only curious. I'm not one to worry over a bad 5%
mosking.gif

I probably ran into the same diner crew! They were not exactly rude, but they had halfhearted service and answered questions like they were reading out a machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back