Aspen thruway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coxm50

Train Attendant
I had read a while ago that there is a thruway from Glenwood Springs to Aspen, but I cant seem to book it now. Did they stop this service? Also I can only find the Aspen stop on the route atlas.

I had read a while ago that there is a thruway from Glenwood Springs to Aspen, but I cant seem to book it now. Did they stop this service? Also I can only find the Aspen stop on the route atlas.
Try using the code VAI (Vail) on amtrak.com. Amtrak shows a thruway bus service from GSC (Glenwood Springs) to Vail.

You could also look up all the stations for Colorado. Aspen is not listed, but maybe one of the others would be closer?

If all else fails, give them a call.

I don't think AMTRAK still runs the Thruway from GSC to Aspen. But!!! There are hundreds of options available from Glenwwod Springs to Aspen. If your planning to stay overnight call your Hotel and ask about shuttle service. Both Aspen hotels and Glenwood Springs hotels offer shuttles (for a price). I hope this helps,

Mark

I wasn't sure if the hotels would be willing to go that far from Snowmass but I''ll give them a call. Having the Amtrak service would go a long way to getting my family to try the train there instead of flying. Does anyone know why they stopped the service. The route atlas has the code as ASX I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can take a bus from GSC to Aspen and it costs $13 RT. Its GSC "mass" transit. Roaring Forks Transportation or something like that. We really enjoyed Aspen and counting all the people that had facelifts! :lol:

Its Roaring Fork Transit Authority I think, and Aspen is nice, one of my absolute favorite places, at least Snowmass and Highlands. How long is the ride from GSC to Aspen on the bus? Their great for short distances but any length of time with bags I think would be hard, unless they use different ones down valley than the skier shuttles.

Its Roaring Fork Transit Authority I think, and Aspen is nice, one of my absolute favorite places, at least Snowmass and Highlands. How long is the ride from GSC to Aspen on the bus? Their great for short distances but any length of time with bags I think would be hard, unless they use different ones down valley than the skier shuttles.
I was going to recommend some of the skier shuttles such as Vans to Vail and such; but it seems you don't like them.

I used them a few times in the early 90's to get to resorts from teh Denver Airport (Stapleton) and remember tehm as very inexpensive. (Like $20 to Vail)

Helps I was just out of college and a van ride was fine for me.

I was going to recommend some of the skier shuttles such as Vans to Vail and such; but it seems you don't like them.

I used them a few times in the early 90's to get to resorts from teh Denver Airport (Stapleton) and remember tehm as very inexpensive. (Like $20 to Vail)

Helps I was just out of college and a van ride was fine for me.
The ride to Aspen from Glenwood isn't all that long, maybe an hour. You'd need to find where their bus stop is, but Glenwood is a pretty compact town so it shouldn't be too difficult to get to the bus terminal. Another option, if you wanted to rent a car, there are several rental agencies in Glenwood; I seem to recall an Enterprise or Avis location near the Ramada Inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back