Assaulted by Amtrak Conductor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to hear the other side of the story.

An employee being rude, doesn't justify you verbally harassing them. Nor does that harassment justify "assault".

There's two sides to every story and it sounds like side of this one are a bad apple, but I'll reserve judgement without the whole story.

I'm not excusing the conductor's behavior, no Amtrak employee should be assaulting passengers, but perhaps calling somebody an obscene name doesn't exactly serve to cool down the situation. Perhaps you and your friends should have kept your thoughts to yourselves. Go ahead and file police reports, get a lawyer, cry to your mommy, etc. Without both sides to this story (if it's even true), this whole thread is going nowhere.

I'm not excusing the conductor's behavior, no Amtrak employee should be assaulting passengers, but perhaps calling somebody an obscene name doesn't exactly serve to cool down the situation. Perhaps you and your friends should have kept your thoughts to yourselves. Go ahead and file police reports, get a lawyer, cry to your mommy, etc. Without both sides to this story (if it's even true), this whole thread is going nowhere.
You are correct, telling the conductor how we felt did not cool the situation in any way. I am not denying this at all, like I said we made the police and amtrak officials very aware of this. When somebody that works with the public is that rude and unprofessional around the people they are serving I will always speak my mind, I have that right.

As far as both sides of the story, I welcome the conductor to respond with his side of the story. We did not get a chance to see him or speak with him after they removed him from the train, I honestly would like to know why he thought he had the right to put his hands on me.

What exactly did the conductor do? I mean you said he "pushed" you? What does that even mean?

I believe your story, I just think the term "assault" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

What exactly did the conductor do? I mean you said he "pushed" you? What does that even mean?

I believe your story, I just think the term "assault" might be a bit of an exaggeration.
I am not a lawyer so I googled the definitions and "battery" would be the correct term:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/battery

The Act The act must result in one of two forms of contact. Causing any physical harm or injury to the victim—such as a cut, a burn, or a bullet wound—could constitute battery, but actual injury is not required. Even though there is no apparent bruise following harmful contact, the defendant can still be guilty of battery; occurrence of a physical illness subsequent to the contact may also be actionable. The second type of contact that may constitute battery causes no actual physical harm but is, instead, offensive or insulting to the victim. Examples include spitting in someone's face or offensively touching someone against his or her will.

He leaned towards me, looked at my brother-in-law and then back and me and told us we can both F off, and then with 1 hand fingers extended pushed my chest which I did find extremely offensive. I am a pretty big guy and I was not harmed, nor did I feel that he could harm me, however I was extremely offended that he dared put his hands on me.

Any touching by someone of another without consent and without regard to the physical consequences constitutes battery in many jurisdictions. Assault generally has a broader definition and usually includes battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would find a way to come up with the money to travel back to chicago to make sure he goes to jail. The conductors life was not in danger so this is not a case of self defense. That conductor needs anger management classes.Now watch the union will say the conductor was justified in his actions and will get off Scott free.

When somebody that works with the public is that rude and unprofessional around the people they are serving I will always speak my mind, I have that right.
Not really - you should do some reading into Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire if you're going to talk about what your rights are.
The case you cite is not relevant to this situation. Fact situations are wildly different.

I wasn't talking about this case in particular. He made a blanket statement that he had the right to speak his mind, which has some limitations that he clearly isn't aware of.

The conductor was out of line. He's paid to be there. He needs to take the higher path. Based on the events described he should be terminated.
Based on what we read the conductor was wrong and should be disciplined But what is his side of the story?

I would like to see this thread closed until we get the other side of the story.

I don't get why at least two posters asked that this thread be closed?

What the heck are you afraid of? If you don't like it, don't read it.

THIS is a perfect example of what SHOULD be posted on forums like this. Yeah, most of us regulars like Amtrak, and would give our left *** for a cab ride, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to read about the good, the bad, and the "maybe it happened, maybe it didn't".

Close threads like this, and I certainly won't be visiting as much....ESPECIALLY when the poster SOUGHT out some avenue, AFTER contacting Amtrak, to post his comments on.

I don't want Amtrak, or passenger rail travel to be assailed without justification. And I don't think it is. And IF it is, the truth will come out.

Close the thread. No, let's "burn the books" (or Nooks) first. Then tell people what they can, and cannot say in public. Sheesh.

From my limited understanding, I believe one can file a small claims case against a company in any state where they do business.

That may be easier than filing a criminal case that may require trips back and forth.

Right or wrong, we are only hearing one side of the incident ~ so it's difficult for anyone who was not involved to respond knowledgeably.

Other than batting it around for discussion, this site won't accomplish anything.

Write a detailed letter with names, time, place to :

Amtrak Customer Relations

60 Massachusetts Ave NE

Washington, DC 20002

Phone :

Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL

THIS is a perfect example of what SHOULD be posted on forums like this. Yeah, most of us regulars like Amtrak, and would give our left *** for a cab ride, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to read about the good, the bad, and the "maybe it happened, maybe it didn't".

Close threads like this, and I certainly won't be visiting as much....ESPECIALLY when the poster SOUGHT out some avenue, AFTER contacting Amtrak, to post his comments on.

I don't want Amtrak, or passenger rail travel to be assailed without justification. And I don't think it is. And IF it is, the truth will come out.

Close the thread. No, let's "burn the books" (or Nooks) first. Then tell people what they can, and cannot say in public. Sheesh.
Agreed!

I would also like to compliment the original poster for sticking around and answering our questions.

AMEN to that!!! Things like this need to be posted. If you don´t like it don´t read it. Just like like radio don´t like whats on one station change it to another station till you find something you like. I also thank the poster for coming back and not being one of those one time posters who post a thread like this and then never return.

I was assaulted by an Amtrak conductor after taking a trip to Chicago. The Conductor was extremely rude to both passengers and fellow employees the entire trip, threatening to throw people off or leave them where ever we were. The train was 2 hours late, with absolutely no information passed to the passengers until an Amtrak employee went and talked to them. They told him that the intercom was not working well, he told them then you need to be out there letting people know because the entire train was worried about what was going on, the conductor in question then yelled at him for telling him how to do his job.

After we finally got to Chicago we got off the train and saw the same rude conductor, we said "there goes the ******" he then ran up to us and threatined to call the police, we laughed at him and told him to go ahead and call the police. At that point he swore at us and then pushed me.

I called the police on HIM right away, filed a Amtrak complaint and a police report, the Amtrak super intendant refunded my money for the return trip we had not taken yet but we were informed we would need to contact Customer Relations to get a refund for the trip that we were assaulted on.

Customer Relations told me that "refunds are not allowed for employee conduct". Amtrak clearly does not care about it's passengers safety or well being or repeat business if they allow their employees to assault paying customers without so much as a refund.
Sure sounds like you were being antagonistic towards the conductor. Without a police report and a proper police investigation, it is not worth exploring this any further on this forum as it is just hearsay on your part.

Can I suggest to the administrator that this topic be closed as it will just go down hill fast?
Umm, NO?

This topic has every but of right to be here as any other complaint or poor service story!

I don't care if the OP told the conductor that he was a *** and his dog was a ***. There is no right EVER for someone who had the authority and responsibility of a conductor to lose his temper and commit assault. We aren't talking OBS here - this is someone who can cause a great financial pain to someone by throwing them off a train into the hands of police because s/he is in a bad mood.

Yes, there are two sides to every story and the OP admitted to being as frustrated as other passengers and crew and perhaps let his temper get the better of him, verbally. A professional conductor would call police or for assistance (he was in a station) before laying a finger on this dude. Just ask Rodney King. Why can't we all just get along?

I, for one, am interested in the outcome of this.

You are correct, telling the conductor how we felt did not cool the situation in any way. I am not denying this at all, like I said we made the police and amtrak officials very aware of this. When somebody that works with the public is that rude and unprofessional around the people they are serving I will always speak my mind, I have that right.

As far as both sides of the story, I welcome the conductor to respond with his side of the story. We did not get a chance to see him or speak with him after they removed him from the train, I honestly would like to know why he thought he had the right to put his hands on me.
You may have that right, but you also have the right to bear the consequences. ;)

Removed him from the train? I thought you were in the station. Perhaps in the station and still on the train?

His OP says that they were already off the train. Something doesn't add up.

After we finally got to Chicago we got off the train and saw the same rude conductor, we said "there goes the ******" he then ran up to us and threatined to call the police, we laughed at him and told him to go ahead and call the police. At that point he swore at us and then pushed me.
Edit: There's a difference between locking a thread and removing it or staying that it never should have been started in the first place. It's a great thread, but there's really not a whole lot of value to allowing pages and pages of discussion based on an internally inconsistent half of the story.

Thank goodness you aren't a moderator, then. ;)

The judgement on the value of a topic is determined by the members, not by an individual. If this thread digresses into nothing more than hateful banter, I'm sure the mods rollo do what is right. Taking about the merits of this particular incident is, in fact, appropriate.

There are many guests who come here and never post, looking for advise on how to handle situations and to read what they can expect from Amtrak.

Sorry, I am going the other way on this one:

I am going to guess by your inclusion of the ****** instead of words that YOU first use foul language. I sure hope you told AMTRAK Police of your use of foul language, and THAT is what instigated this event. Had you said nothing, the event would not have occurred. And while that does not give justification to physical contact, it sure was not a wise decision on your part. but I guess it made you feel good to mouth-off....

You should re-title you post: I Swore At The Conductor
Inherent in the responsibilities of every Amtrak conductor is to maintain professionalism at all times while on the job, profanity and insolent comments notwithstanding. If this conductor abandoned his responsibility of being a consummate railroad professional, he has failed himself, his employer, and his fellow colleagues in the industry.
Handling oneself in a professional manner is the ultimate responsibility of an Amtrak conductor. If you want supoort from this group show us the video and end the argument. While I do not doubt this story, it is not fair to condemn anyone without presenting proof.

Handling oneself in a professional manner is the ultimate responsibility of an Amtrak conductor. If you want supoort from this group show us the video and end the argument. While I do not doubt this story, it is not fair to condemn anyone without presenting proof.
So, how far do you want to take this? If I have any complaint about an Amtrak employee, I first must have proof before I post on this forum? A forum that is called: "Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum."

Well, I propose a name change then :)

Thank goodness you aren't a moderator, then. ;)
Thank goodness that I wasn't advocating to have it locked at this point in time. I was mostly responding to this statement...
This topic has every but of right to be here as any other complaint or poor service story!
...to point out that there's a difference between locking a thread and it never existing in the first place.

So, how far do you want to take this? If I have any complaint about an Amtrak employee, I first must have proof before I post on this forum? A forum that is called: "Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum."

Well, I propose a name change then :)
You're welcome to post anything that you want. The difference is that if you want to be taken seriously, you should be able to back up whatever claims you make. The jury is still out on this one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back