Assaulted by Amtrak Conductor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct Amtrak has the video right now im guessing from the stations security cameras so it might take a court order for the OP to get it. If the conductor felt that the OP was unruly he would have called for backup. In this case the OP just made a comment oh look there goes hitler type thing and the conductor overheard and flipped his top and pushed the OP. that is battery by the law. He has witnessses but he does not have the money to keep returning back to chicago for court if he was to press charges aganst the conductor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving refunds doesn't correct employee behavior!
Giving travel vouchers doesn't correct faulty plumbing either, but Amtrak does it all the time. It may a legal matter. A refund might be interpreted as a bribe for silence in court.
If Amtrak had offered something without being asked, it MIGHT be considered a bribe given that the traveler had a sleazy lawyer who wanted to play it up but if it is done at the request of the traveler, then no way would that be considered a bribe.

Handling oneself in a professional manner is the ultimate responsibility of an Amtrak conductor. If you want supoort from this group show us the video and end the argument. While I do not doubt this story, it is not fair to condemn anyone without presenting proof.
So, how far do you want to take this? If I have any complaint about an Amtrak employee, I first must have proof before I post on this forum? A forum that is called: "Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum."

Well, I propose a name change then :)
You may of course post anything, but without additional supporting evidence you may not be taken seriously. No big deal either way.

lets just say, 90% of passengers don't know difference between a Conductor or a car attendent.

we said "there goes the ******" he then ran up to us and threatined to call the police
I take exeption to fact that OP can cuss at said conductor but gets upset when shoved ?

again if you got witnesses go to police, we are just discussing a one sided argument here, that may or may not have happened.

and I for one have serious doubts. :hi: :hi:

lets just say, 90% of passengers don't know difference between a Conductor or a car attendent.

we said "there goes the ******" he then ran up to us and threatined to call the police
I take exeption to fact that OP can cuss at said conductor but gets upset when shoved ?

again if you got witnesses go to police, we are just discussing a one sided argument here, that may or may not have happened.

and I for one have serious doubts. :hi: :hi:
It is fine to have doubts, I am just some guy on a forum sharing my experience and I am not quick to believe such things either. He made it very clear that he was the conductor in a "I'm the conductor I can do anything I want and you better not mess with me" kind of way several times. There is a large difference between words and battery. Not once did the police state what I did was illegal, however what he did was. I may have crossed a line by telling him how I felt, however he decided to cross that same line by cussing at us and then took it far beyond that level by putting his hands on me which he had no right to do.

Yes, there are two sides to every story and the OP admitted to being as frustrated as other passengers and crew and perhaps let his temper get the better of him, verbally. A professional conductor would call police or for assistance (he was in a station) before laying a finger on this dude.
While I understand the point you were trying to make and fully acknowledge that I'm taking this slightly out of context here, let me say the following.

I realize that the incident is reported to have taken place on the platforms at Chicago, but had this taken place on a train things would have been a bit different. Additionally, I'll grant that a push/shove doesn't constitute a valid way to restrain someone, unless it was to knock the person to the ground, but on board the train a conductor would be fully within their rights to place their hands on someone that they feel needs to be restrained and it would not be considered assault.

On the other hand, hauling off and smacking the conductor is a sure fire way to find one's self locked up in the Federal pen.

The OP said the conductor swore at passengers and fellow co workers and harassing other passengers for no reason.
Yes, that's his observation. What is the employees' viewpoint?

And why are some folks here beating each other over the head with an unsubstantiated complaint?

Were I as irate at this passenger, I'd spend my time pursuing a resolution ~ not venting here, where it will accomplish nothing.

I would have figured that by virtue of the fact that I was the first person to even respond to mwineland that it would be rather clear that this topic exists with the consent of the staff.

But since the point keeps getting raised; this forum exists to allow people to ask questions about Amtrak and to discuss Amtrak. That includes the good, the bad, the verified, and the unverified. The staff will remove off topic comments, off color comments, and frankly I'd be much happier if we could keep references to Hitler out of the conversation as there is a huge difference between ordering the murders of millions of people and shoving someone on a train platform in Chicago. The two things don't even come close in magnitude as mwineland is still alive and able to talk about things; thankfully!

I also find it interesting that all too often in the past when we've had guests make a controversial post about Amtrak, that one of the most common complaints from people is that they're guests who never come back to follow up with things. That excuse invariably leads to most people simply dismissing the entire complaint. And in one really big case that those who've been here for a while will remember, that being the luggage incident in Birmingham on the Crescent, I later received information from someone at Amtrak that confirmed that the lady was telling the truth. This despite the many detractors who were certain she was lying.

Yes she probably embellished things a bit, and I'm not suggesting that mwineland did that, but again it was confirmed by me via a clandestine source that an internal investigation found that 2 employees in BHM were out of line and they were disciplined for their action. And the poor lady was offered compensation by Amtrak for the incident. That source by the way is also a long time member here who at that time worked for Amtrak in a rather powerful position that allowed him to get an investigation started.

In this case, we not only are NOT dealing with a guest poster, we are dealing with a member who continues to return and respond to questions & comments. That despite some very negative comments. Now I'm not suggesting that the fact that mwineland took the time to register automatically guarantees that he's telling the truth or that he hasn't embellished things a bit, or for that matter that as would be normal in the heat of the moment that his recollection of the entire incident is 100% correct. But I do think that the fact that he is a member and that he continues to return to answer the questions put forth earns him some consideration and politeness at least.

Yes, we don't have the other side either and we may never see the video. I'm guessing that short of a trial, it will never see the light of day. Especially if Amtrak does indeed take any action against the employee, releasing the video outside of a court order would probably be considered a violation of his rights. I'm sure that the Union would have to take issue with it, even if they feel that the conductor was wrong, they'll have to oppose its release.

So all that said; please, let's get back to simply discussing the incident and stop worrying about closing the topic.

Isn´t in illegal to refuse someone to talk to a supervisor?
Quite unlikely.

Sounds like a amtrak coverup.
Coverup? Surely you jest? We haven't even heard boo from Amtrak or the Conductor yet. All that we have done is endless venting from both sides based on one yet to be independently verified report.

Note that I am not suggesting that it is impossible that the Conductor was at fault. All that I am saying is that we don't have enough corroborated evidence to reach any definitive conclusion yet.

Were I as irate at this passenger, I'd spend my time pursuing a resolution ~ not venting here, where it will accomplish nothing.
Actually, as any good psychiatrist will tell you, talking about your problems is very helpful! :)

And who knows, sometimes good advice even pops up that could be helpful to him in dealing with Amtrak regarding this incident. Like for example the suggestion to write to the President of Amtrak Joseph Boardman.

I'd like to be on the look out for this conductor.

What is the Amtrak Unlimited policy regarding identification of this conductor. Perhaps the OP can post his/her name. First and last? First only? Not at all?

Negative comments were made about another Amtrak employee, by name, here.

What is the Amtrak Unlimited policy regarding identification of this conductor. Perhaps the OP can post his/her name. First and last? First only? Not at all?

Admin, would this be a problem if I posted the name on their badge?

Actually, as any good psychiatrist will tell you, talking about your problems is very helpful! :)

You'd think I'd know that.

I worked a psych hospital in Hartford for five years.

(No ~ really. Honest I worked there.) :eek:hboy:

Isn´t it illegal to refuse someone to talk to a supervisor? Sounds like a amtrak coverup.
Illegal ? I doubt there's a law on the books covering that.
I can't be definitive, but my memory tells me there is a law on the books of either the federal level or in at least California that requires that a supervisor be made available if requested by the customer.

I'm not a lawyer, and not well versed in internet law, just an old retired newspaper guy, but since the conductor has not been arrested and charged with assault (at least I think that's the case, Mr. Wineland seems not to have actually done anything about this except whine about it on this site). then both the poster and Amtrak Unlimited would be opening themselves up to a libel suit by posting his name. If the conductor is arrested and charged, then use of his name would be fine.

Please don't post that info until the other Admins and I have a chance to discuss it.

Thanks!!

Why would it be a problem to post the guys name? There have been many employee names discussed, both for positive and negative experiences and it had never been an issue.

Please don't post that info until the other Admins and I have a chance to discuss it.

Thanks!!
No problem just let me know.

]It is fine to have doubts, I am just some guy on a forum sharing my experience and I am not quick to believe such things either.
That's a great attitude to have - I certainly think that you could have handled thing better on the train, but I've got to commend you on handling yourself in this thread. Thanks for sticking around and being a good sport.

Thanks!!
No problem just let me know.

First name only, please. :)

Is there a difference between posting this conductor's name and Joseph H. Boardman's?

What is the official policy regarding naming names of Amtrak employees here?

Is there a difference between posting this conductor's name and Joseph H. Boardman's?

What is the official policy regarding naming names of Amtrak employees here?
As was stated above, posting his name could result in unwanted action towards the forum, unless charges are pressed. I don't see any problem in posting a first name only, as that could still be very vague, but it really is up to the Admins to decide. Joseph H. Boardman is the president of Amtrak, and therefore I would assume as a somewhat public figure, it's okay to post his. I think the main thing is right now it is all speculation as we only have a complaint from the OP, and no charges were pressed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back