Atlanta, GA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the MARTA station at Hartsfield? Is it easy to get to?

Were staying at the Hilton Hotel on Cortland street in downtown Atlanta. I understand that a MARTA station is close to this hotel. Does anybody know?

Thanks. :D

The Marta station is connected to the Airport. There are signs throughout baggage claim that will direct you to Marta and other forms of ground transportation.

Marta at the airport is convienent and easy. There is a nice station connecting to the airport.

Yeah, the MARTA station is built as if it were part of the airport....all under overhead shelter. (though you are exposed to the temperature once you are at trainside.)

ALL trains are going your way, as you will reach your stop (Peachtree Center) before that line splits up between Brookhaven and North Springs. Just follow signs within the airport to ground transportation, etc.,after you have picked up your bags.

Please note that there is also a train WITHIN the airport which gets you from your gate into the terminal.(this is before you get your bags). Some people have been known to get on these and think they are on MARTA.(I know YOU would not do that.....but I have witnessed it, believe it or not).

Your MARTA station downtown is "Peachtree Center". Your hotel is behind that by a block or two down the hill. Ask directions once there. The escalators within the Peachtree Center Station are among MARTA's longest(well, two of them are, the other two are fairly short)

You can probably get a floor plan of the airport off the internet. Undersanding the shape of the airport might prove helpful, as there are several corriders, etc.

Thanks for the information guys. Is there only one exit from Peachtree Center?

Last thing I need to do is to give my coworkers a railfan tour of the Peachtree Marta station. LOL.

Oh, there are several exits, that is why there are several escalators of varying lengths.

A little hard to give directions since I do not know where you will be sitting on the train, etc.

But basically, when the train stops at Peachtree Center you want to follow the signs or ask people for Peachtree Center itself. Which will be upstairs and to the train's right. (as the train stopped, northbound, from the airport)

Note that Peachtree Center is a large complex of offices, hotels(but not yours, not directly), food court, etc all out of the weather. connecting walkways, etc.

You need to go to the train's right(as you arrived from the airport).at the right and upstairs, You will walk through the faregate, turn right and then turn left and ride that escalator. (it is one of the longer ones)

At the top of the escalator,make a sharp right turn and you will see revolving doors. Go into that, to your left, --that gets you instantly in the Peachtree Center Food Court.

Then just keep walking straight---as straight and long as you possibly can. You will pass through the food court and find yourself on a catwalk over the streets and over a parking lot. Down near the end of that is the Hilton Hotel.

Is there any way to get to the Amtrak station in Atlanta from the airport on MARTA or any other public transportation? I will need to get to Amtrak from Columbus GA; there are shuttles that go regularly up to the Atlanta airport from Columbus. Even Greyhound only goes once a day to Amtrak which seems ridiculous. I need to catch the southbound Crescent which leaves at 9:35am. I used to get the City of Miami in my hometown south to Jacksonville FL or north to Fulton KY; now there is no service at all.

Any and all help greatly appreciated. John Andrew

First, congrats on your handle---brings back memories. Your train, the City of Miami, the South Wind and "my train", the Dixie Flagler, once operated every third day in concert with each other. My train was gone in 1957, the other two lasted longer, and began running every other day, after the Flagler dropped out of the picture. The City stopped when AMTRAK took over in 1971. The South Wind was taken over by Amtrak, and soon re-named the Floridian, and was discontinued in 1979.

Now to your question, board MARTA at the airport(any train, Brookhaven or North Springs either one) ride to Arts Center Station. You do not need a train to bus transfer(not at THAT station, but some others).

Go up stairs(two sets of floors) to the buses and catch #23 Lenox Square (or Peachtree Battle, either one) . Ask the driver to call out Amtrak station. They usually do anyway. It will be about a 5-7 minute bus ride from the Arts Center Station to the Amtrak station.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Oh, there are several exits, that is why there are several escalators of varying lengths.
A little hard to give directions since I do not know where you will be sitting on the train, etc.

But basically, when the train stops at Peachtree Center you want to follow the signs or ask people for Peachtree Center itself. Which will be upstairs and to the train's right. (as the train stopped, northbound, from the airport)

Note that Peachtree Center is a large complex of offices, hotels(but not yours, not directly), food court, etc all out of the weather. connecting walkways, etc.

You need to go to the train's right(as you arrived from the airport).at the right and upstairs, You will walk through the faregate, turn right and then turn left and ride that escalator. (it is one of the longer ones)

At the top of the escalator,make a sharp right turn and you will see revolving doors. Go into that, to your left, --that gets you instantly in the Peachtree Center Food Court.

Then just keep walking straight---as straight and long as you possibly can. You will pass through the food court and find yourself on a catwalk over the streets and over a parking lot. Down near the end of that is the Hilton Hotel.
Thanks, this will help a lot.

Thank you very much, Bill, for the directions from Atlanta airport to Amtrak station. Now I can stop worrying about that since I know this is a doable option even if nothing else comes up. I'm looking foward to taking the Crescent to New Orleans, staying over a few days, and then the Sunset to LA, staying overnight, then the Starlight on home to SF. This will be my longest Amtrak trip to date.

John Andrew

Bill Haithcoat said:

Your directions were very helpful. Thanks

In general, my trip to Atlanta worked well. All 8 (a total of 46 teachers traveled from Chicago to Atlanta) of my coworkers came to Atlanta on the same plane. When I mentioned the subway in a meeting about a week before the trip, several people looked at me like I was crazy. Angela, the counselor said she was definitely taking the subway when she saw that the price was $1.75.

At the Airport, 4 or 5 teacher's tagged along. Then as i made my way through the airport, I looked back and saw about 10 teachers from other schools following. This was real pressure. None looked like railfans, and all teachers love to second guess when things go wrong!!

The walk to the MARTA station at the airport was very easy and simple. As you all probably now, the subway was modern, and ran smoothly. I checked scenery and track layouts as subtly as possible. No foaming allowed in a professional setting. :D

I had the directions from Peachtree Center to the Hilton downloaded into my PC phone. So off we went. Up the escalators, through the food court, and down the Catwalk. I walked fast because I knew that this looked crazy. However, everything matched with the directions. I saw the Hilton from the Catwalk, and thought, Hell Yeah, Im GOOOOD!!!!

Everyone was impressed. Angela, who was the group leader took my word as rule on any navigating issues during the 4 days in Atlanta. So once again, thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, I did not get on the east west line nor the north end of the system. Just to busy. But I enjoyed Atlanta anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back