Attention! Coast Starlight Disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
:blink: The Union Pacific railroad will be doing some tunnel work in the Cascade Summit area in central Oregon, between Chemult and Eugene. :blink:

:blink: Becuase of this the Coast Starlight is on a revised schedule, here it is: :blink:

- Trains 11/14 will operate normally between Los Angeles and Klamath falls, with sleeper, Pacific Parlour Car, Dining car, Lounge car, and coach (regular, lower level, accessible) service. Buses will carry passengers between Klamath Falls and Eugene; Chemult will also be served. Coach and wheelchair spaces are available. Bus numbers are 3511/3514. A substitute train will operate between Eugene and Seattle, with coach (regular, lower level, accessible) and lounge service only. Those train numbers are 1011/1014. The times at all stations remain unchanged, because the bus is faster than the train between Klamath Falls and Eugene. Normal operations should be back to normal at the mid or end of June. :blink:

Hi! I am scheduled to take the CS from Seattle to Oxnard June 26th, so this post concerned me a bit. I called Amtrak today and this is what the agent told me. UP's work schedule is June 1-10th and June 16th-25th.

This will be the sceond train ride for my daughter and I. We are thinking positive that the work will be done for sure on the date that UP has given.

At any rate, just thought y'all might want to know what I found out.

Diane

I must say that even I am disappointed in this disruption of service, especially since the ride through the Oregon Cascades is one of the route's most spectacular segments. However, hopefully the disruptions will not take too long and will eventually allow for better services and operating times. How about re-routing the train via the old Oregon Trunk Line to Klamath Falls. Of course, that takes too long too.

I think the Starlight had enough hours of delays when it was re-routed through the Feather River Canyon! A short bus connection makes better "transportation sense" than a few hours of delays. + it is nice to break of the trip a little bit...

:)

I just spoke with a Amtrak agent who told me that she was not showing June 16 as a construction date. I am taking a CS from Jack London to Portland, departing JLS on June 16. She also told me that I could get my money back if it changed, I am not getting on a bus!!

jccollins said:
I think the Starlight had enough hours of delays when it was re-routed through the Feather River Canyon! A short bus connection makes better "transportation sense" than a few hours of delays. + it is nice to break of the trip a little bit...:)
A BUS IS NEVER A NICE BREAK IN A TRAIN TRIP! :D

[i just spoke with a Amtrak agent who told me that she was not showing June 16 as a construction date. I am taking a CS from Jack London to Portland, departing JLS on June 16. She also told me that I could get my money back if it changed, I am not getting on a bus!!]

After reading cincytrains post I decided to call Amtrak again, just to be sure, because I don't want to take a bus either, and a different agent told me the same thing.

June 1-10 Tunnel work

June 16-25 Tunnel work

I was told that if for some reason they will be doing work on the day that I travel and agent from amtrak will call me. Which is pretty nice.

Now, dealing with amtrak is very new to me so I am relying only on what I am told by the agents.

And when they say an agent will call they actually do. Last summer I took the Adirondack from NY Penn to Montreal and they bustituted us north of Albany. At the time I was upset that I wasn't going to get to ride the train and that they did not inform us, but when I got home to CA there was a message on my machine from Amtrak informing me of the change, so they do seem to be very good about it.

What is the UP doing about its own trains that have to travel through the area?

The ride through the Oregon Cascades must be done by train to get the full prospect from it. Buses won't do. They may be necessary at times, but they are not the same.

Well the agent was wrong who told me that Up was not doing track work when I am on the CS, they are and I am pretty mad about it, first I think I should be given money back because I have a delux sleeper. I did not pay to ride in a bus or in coach seat. So I am not happy with Amtrak at all right now.

Is there any chance that Amtrak will let you switch dates? Is that a possibility? I would be disappointed too, but I would see if I could work something out.

Dear member steve_relei,

:) By switching dates, do you mean as switching the dates of you're travel, if you do than, yes, you can switch the dates, if there's still room onboard the train. Hope this helps. :)

Actually, this was in response to Cincytrains' being angry with Amtrak for not giving correct days when work will be done.

I would still like to know if anyone knows what UP will be doing about its own trains that have to travel through the area. Will they get through, or will they get rerouted?

Cincytrains said:
Well the agent was wrong who told me that Up was not doing track work when I am on the CS, they are and I am pretty mad about it, first I think I should be given money back because I have a delux sleeper. I did not pay to ride in a bus or in coach seat. So I am not happy with Amtrak at all right now.
Actually, its not Amtrak’s fault at all, the agents sometimes don’t get the information very fast, or Amtrak didn’t know that there was going to be work on that line, the UP could have made that decision after you booked you’re trip.

The bussing between Eugene and Klamath Falls on the Coast Starlight has begun. Between Seattle and Eugene, the abbreviated Starlight consists of:

a single P32, six Superliners (Baggage/Coach, Lounge, four coaches)

There are no sleepers or diner. Southbound, the train runs more or less on time. The northbound train was on time for the first day but has since been late every day.

The Seattle-Portland-Eugene only trains remain unaffected. I haven't seen many UP freights south of Brooklyn Yard. I am wondering if they are being rerouted--perhaps via the Deschutes Canyon on the Oregon Trunk line?

steve_relei said:
The bussing between Eugene and Klamath Falls on the Coast Starlight has begun. Between Seattle and Eugene, the abbreviated Starlight consists of:
a single P32, six Superliners (Baggage/Coach, Lounge, four coaches)

There are no sleepers or diner. Southbound, the train runs more or less on time. The northbound train was on time for the first day but has since been late every day.

The Seattle-Portland-Eugene only trains remain unaffected. I haven't seen many UP freights south of Brooklyn Yard. I am wondering if they are being rerouted--perhaps via the Deschutes Canyon on the Oregon Trunk line?
Thanks for the info steve_relei :)

Steve4031 said:
jccollins said:
I think the Starlight had enough hours of delays when it was re-routed through the Feather River Canyon!  A short bus connection makes better "transportation sense" than a few hours of delays.  + it is nice to break of the trip a little bit...:)
A BUS IS NEVER A NICE BREAK IN A TRAIN TRIP! :D
I agree. :)

The Starlight is back to regular size--though only temporarily. The other day, I saw about 3 UP freights almost one after another head south from Brooklyn Yard. This was along with the Cascades to Eugene. I still haven't heard from UP about what they are doing about their own trains during construction. I have asked via their Web Site.

This week, the Starlight goes back to its abbreviated form. As before, it is a train of:

a single P32

6 Superliners (coach/baggage, sightseer lounge, four coaches)

No diner or sleepers.

:rolleyes: So, I got a call today from Joe Miller at the Amtrak CA reservations office. I am scheduled to be on the CS this Thursday. He said that UP has decided to extend their tunnel work one more day. I knew exactly what he was calling about and even before he said all that I told him I am not taking a bus, in a very nice manner, and he was totally accommodating. He quickly switched my days , I am now traveling on Friday.

I have to say that I am really impressed. Amtrak really did call, just like they said they would. I actually felt a little sorry for the guy he had been calling people all afternoon and was relieved that I was so easy to deal with.

At any rate, I just thought I'd let y'all know. :)

Diane,

I'm glad he was able to switch your days, not to mention that you were able to be flexable. Question though, are you traveling in coach or a sleeper?

I ask only because if you are in a sleeper, I'm a little surprised that Amtrak still had a bedroom left for Friday's train. :)

AlanB said:
I'm glad he was able to switch your days, not to mention that you were able to be flexable.  Question though, are you traveling in coach or a sleeper?
I ask only because if you are in a sleeper, I'm a little surprised that Amtrak still had a bedroom left for Friday's train.   :)
Alan,

I am staying with family in CA for a month so flexability is my middle name :D . My daughter and I are traveling in a standard sleeper. I was surprised too. He told me they had 3 left. I never even asked if the sleeper that I got has the best view, ocean view. I guess I can call back and ask. Either way they impressed me today.

Diane

Diane said:
Alan,
I am staying with family in CA for a month so flexability is my middle name :D . My daughter and I are traveling in a standard sleeper. I was surprised too. He told me they had 3 left. I never even asked if the sleeper that I got has the best view, ocean view. I guess I can call back and ask. Either way they impressed me today.

Diane
Cool. B) Thanks for the reply and I'm glad that it worked out well for you. Be sure to check out the whole train, including the parlour car.

I hope that you and your daughter have a wonderful trip. :)

Well, I guess UP changed their minds... They alledgely finished the work today. I got my Thursday train back, only after some finagling by Amtrak customer service. I am so glad :D . I'll be on the train tomorrow and headed for sunny California.

My daughter is going to do a travel log and wants to post it. Look for that in a month.

Alan... thanks for the good wishes.

Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back