August 2010 long distance trip: any tips please? :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uptheirons29

Train Attendant
Hey, everyone....I plan on visiting an old friend in August via train. She lives in Muskegon, and after going through the Amtrak website and seeing the possible routes to get there, I've decided to plan on taking the buses from L.A to Bakersfield, then an AMtrak California train to Emeryville, before taking on the California Zephyr to CHicago and Pere Marquette to Grand Rapids. I guess from GR to Muskegon I'm on my own :( . I plan to return home via the Marquette then the Southwest Chief back to Fullerton, CA.

I guess my questions for this still- in- the -planning- stages trip would be:

1. Do you guys think that outbound itinerary from L.A to GR with the buses and Zephyr is a bit much? I've always wanted to ride the CZ...

2. How is the weather like in August for Western Michigan?

3. I plan on taking this on going coach to Michigan and returning in sleepers to California...any tips on how to make at least the outbound part bearable? :)

4. I've read the Marquette's trains dont have an actual staffed cafe on it....is that true?

That is all for now.. thank you for your help in answering these questions for me :) Have a great one.

Hey, everyone....I plan on visiting an old friend in August via train. She lives in Muskegon, and after going through the Amtrak website and seeing the possible routes to get there, I've decided to plan on taking the buses from L.A to Bakersfield, then an AMtrak California train to Emeryville, before taking on the California Zephyr to CHicago and Pere Marquette to Grand Rapids. I guess from GR to Muskegon I'm on my own :( . I plan to return home via the Marquette then the Southwest Chief back to Fullerton, CA.

1. Do you guys think that outbound itinerary from L.A to GR with the buses and Zephyr is a bit much? I've always wanted to ride the CZ...

3. I plan on taking this on going coach to Michigan and returning in sleepers to California...any tips on how to make at least the outbound part bearable? :)

4. I've read the Marquette's trains dont have an actual staffed cafe on it....is that true?

That is all for now.. thank you for your help in answering these questions for me :) Have a great one.

I can help with question no. 2. I lived in Michigan for seven years (2 in Grand Rapids area) and the weather in August is usually good with occasional thunderstorms. Summers in Michigan are very nice but it tend to be short.

Why the AmBus to Emeryville and not the Coast Starlight?

Why the AmBus to Emeryville and not the Coast Starlight?
That would require an overnight.

Isn't it possible tp connect to the CZ from the SJ via eithier SAC oro MTZ? :huh:

I wouod certainly ge on the CZ and if your finances permit it, at least get a roomette. All meals are included and the flat bed and privacy (when wanted) are nice additions! ;) But be sure to be in the Sightseer thru Donner Pass and in the Colorado Rockies from Glenweeo Junction to Denver! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading that your trip would require a departure at 1:25 AM, I would suggest you to do this:

Travel LAX-SAC by the Coast Starlight (arrival is at 11:30 PM)

then stay overnight in a Hotel,

I would suggest the Youth Hostel, because it's, close to the station, located in a Victorian Mansion and cheap!

It's one of the top youth hostels on this very planet.

(But you'll have to tell them that you're arriving that late).

Get up early and stroll around until about 11:30 AM, then take the CZ to CHI and all will work fine IF:

you're checking whether there will be a detour though Wyoming (this could happen to you in Summer).

After reading that your trip would require a departure at 1:25 AM, I would suggest you to do this:

I would suggest the Youth Hostel, because it's, close to the station, located in a Victorian Mansion and cheap!

Get up early and stroll around until about 11:30 AM, then take the CZ to CHI and all will work fine IF:

you're checking whether there will be a detour though Wyoming (this could happen to you in Summer).

Thanks, Sam. I did check out the schedule online at Amtrak's site again, and made a phantom reservation with it...only a $10 difference the "take a bus and train to SAC" plan and the Starlight plan you're describing...actually if I want to do the Starlight plan like you said with roommete on both the Starlight and the Chief returning, I'll still might be able to pull it off...

Now the hostel thing should come out cheap too, right?

Lots of time still left, though. But thanks, everyone, on the tips so far :) Appreciate it much.

Remember, the earlier you reserve your tickets the cheaper they are.

DO IT NOW

Thanks, Sam. I did check out the schedule online at Amtrak's site again, and made a phantom reservation with it...only a $10 difference the "take a bus and train to SAC" plan and the Starlight plan you're describing...actually if I want to do the Starlight plan like you said with roommete on both the Starlight and the Chief returning, I'll still might be able to pull it off...

Now the hostel thing should come out cheap too, right?

Lots of time still left, though. But thanks, everyone, on the tips so far :) Appreciate it much.
I would definitely take the Coast Starlight up, try to get a roomette (if you can afford it), this will give you access to the Parlor Car, which is a very nice feature of the Coast Starlight. There is also a Vagabond Hotel right across the street from the Sacramento Station. Which ever you choose for your overnight stay, you will have fun..There's a section of town called Old Sacramento about a block from the station with the California Railroad Museum. (oldsacramento.com)

Once you board the California Zephyr, you will get to see dome beautiful parts of our country. I would get a roomette on the Zephyr, too. All meals in the diner are included with the roomette price, you will have access to a shower, a private, flat place to sleep & Coffee, juice, bottled water & sometimes fruit too. Enjoy your trip! Try different dates & book early!!!

I just noticed that the trip would be cheaper, at least the coach fares, if I buy the USA Rail Pass for the trip....would that be a good idea? I have never used it, and I figured if I could save money this way, maybe a possibility of an onboard upgrade to sleepers on parts of the route would be cheap too...thoughts on this idea, please guys? :)

I believe the Pere Marquette has an employee who rolls a cart through the train to sell refreshments, similar to the service offered on some Hiawathas. I'm not sure why it doesn't have a cafe car, perhaps it's some kind of cost-saving measure since the Michigan legislature seems to have a fight every year over whether to continue to financing the Pere Marquette and Blue Water.

Ah, gotcha...hope they don't discontinue the route anytime soon,then....i can't wait for this trip....really considering the 15 day rail pass option if it's viable for this trip...

Thanks for the info on the food thingy on the Marquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back