Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will the Government shutdown on March 1st affect the AutoTrain? Has anyone had experience with this? Anything can happen, I just like to plan ahead if needed.
No. It won't even affect other trains unless its a really long shutdown. The Auto Train has been running at a profit the last few years so it probably wouldnt be affected either way.

Is there such a link/discussion for a passenger who would like to take the auto train without a car but share in the cost with someone and the additional passenger would pay for their own accommodation?
And, really, why doesn't Amtrak allow passengers without cars?

Is there such a link/discussion for a passenger who would like to take the auto train without a car but share in the cost with someone and the additional passenger would pay for their own accommodation?
And, really, why doesn't Amtrak allow passengers without cars?
The last time I took the Auto Train, I did not bring my car. However, my reservation was linked with that of a friend who brought his car. We were in separate rooms and I paid my own way, but I arrived and departed Lorton and Sanford in his vehicle.

The logistics of getting to and from the Auto Train stations without a vehicle are challenging.

Across the road from the Lorton station is also a Panera Bread. We had lunch there before checking in, which worked out fine. We were riding in sleeper, so no problems with food on board.

Going north, we had lunch in downtown Sanford at The Colonial Room, where we had a nice fried fish sandwich, with fried okra on the side.

View attachment 35887
Looks good - I'm noting that as an option for our next AT Trip. FYI - we were in Orlando in February, and saw a news article about the Sanford Mall shutting down temporarily for unpaid rent/utility bills. Was anyone on this thread impacted by that? Our SB AT trip is typically never discounted, but we often find some deals on the return NB trip. Having only done this 3 times in the last 5 years, is there a reliable pattern for me to look for to get the best rates? There used to be a search tool that gave you prices, but I my link to that url no longer works. AND, I used to be able to see the percent(%) booked information on Amtrak's site, but I don't see that anymore either . ?????

Having only done this 3 times in the last 5 years, is there a reliable pattern for me to look for to get the best rates?

Generally the rates are lower in the opposite direction of the snowbirds. So, the fall northbound is a good time for lower fares and southbound in late spring. Be on the lookout too for flash sales (although they are generally during these times).

The Seminole Town Center is open but clearly on life support. We’re only half hour away and have never felt the need to go there.

The most popular restaurant in Sanford is Hollerbachs. Great food and beer.

Generally the rates are lower in the opposite direction of the snowbirds. So, the fall northbound is a good time for lower fares and southbound in late spring. Be on the lookout too for flash sales (although they are generally during these times).

The Seminole Town Center is open but clearly on life support. We’re only half hour away and have never felt the need to go there.

The most popular restaurant in Sanford is Hollerbachs. Great food and beer.
Hollerbachs is just ok IMHO, it used to be good prior to it becoming an institution.

Now it feels more like a commissary than a restaurant.

My wife and I prefer Tennessee Honey, Colorado's Steakhouse and The District.

Henry's Depot is fun too

Anyone book a Family Room on AutoTrain ?? I'd like to know how they compare to the Bedroom. Specific questions:
-Is this 3-D version accurate?
-Do the chairs stay in place with the top bunk lowered?
-Does the long couch fold out to a larger lower level bed?Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 6.16.45 PM.png

Anyone book a Family Room on AutoTrain ?? I'd like to know how they compare to the Bedroom. Specific questions:
-Is this 3-D version accurate?
-Do the chairs stay in place with the top bunk lowered?
-Does the long couch fold out to a larger lower level bed?
This depiction is not accurate. There is not enough space between the two chairs for a person to sit on each chair. The berth shown above the chairs is not that long; it fits a child under 4' 7" only. There is barely enough space to sit under the upper berth if it is folded down. There is no shelf for storing suitcases. There are no gaps between the couch and the chair nor the couch and the wall, and the windows are not exactly "Landscape" but in fact quite small.

The chairs do stay in place when the berth is down, but as mentioned, they are too close together for a person to sit at each. The chair facing the opposite direction as the couch has a vertical back, and is extremely uncomfortable.

The couch folds into a 3' 4"-wide berth, as wide as the lower in a regular Bedroom. This is two inches wider than a twin bed. The upper berth is cot-size: only 2' 4" wide.

I was going to post an official Amtrak picture of the Family Bedroom, but I found this inaccurate image on Amtrak's page: it is of a regular Bedroom; the window in a Family Bedroom is smaller.

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 5.45.14 PM.png

Last edited:
This depiction is not accurate. There is not enough space between the two chairs for a person to sit on each chair. The berth shown above the chairs is not that long; it fits a child under 4' 7" only. There is barely enough space to sit under the upper berth if it is folded down. There is no shelf for storing suitcases. There are no gaps between the couch and the chair nor the couch and the wall, and the windows are not exactly "Landscape" but in fact quite small.

The chairs do stay in place when the berth is down, but as mentioned, they are too close together for a person to sit at each. The chair facing the opposite direction as the couch has a vertical back, and is extremely uncomfortable.

The couch folds into a 3' 4"-wide berth, as wide as the lower in a regular Bedroom. This is two inches wider than a twin bed. The upper berth is cot-size: only 2' 4" wide.

I was going to post an official Amtrak picture of the Family Bedroom, but I found this inaccurate image on Amtrak's page: it is of a regular Bedroom; the window in a Family Bedroom is smaller.

View attachment 36323
That's what I was afraid of! Thanks for the feedback. I know the two opposing chairs in the "Bedroom" are close, so I assumed the ones in the Family Room would be even closer (But if you can't use both simultaneously, then they're not worth it). It's such a dilemma for us, each time we book the AutoTrain. It definitely beats driving, but neither of us gets a really good night's sleep. If the cabins were just a little more comfortable, I would have no regrets regarding the prices.

Here are two pictures I have of the Family Bedroom. The first shows the size of the windows, and the second shows the vertical back on the second chair. Note that in the depiction posted above, the room is reversed: facing the couch, the kids' bunks are on actually the right.

View attachment 36324

View attachment 36325
Thanks for the photos. Did you also find that it was hard to have 2 people seated in the chairs at the same time ?? On our last 2 trips in the Bedroom, the chair was in dire need of repair. The swivel mechanism was faulty, and it did not recline correctly. We wound up using it to stack our cooler and food items. Disappointing that the accommodations are sub-par, given the price point. Everything else about the experience was enjoyable.

Responding to @ET2020 's question, "Did you also find that it was hard to have 2 people seated in the chairs at the same time ??"

As I mentioned, the second chair in a Family Bedroom is too close to the other chair for a person to occupy each chair. That second chair has a vertical back that is very uncomfortable. The table between the chairs is the same table as in all other Roomettes and Bedrooms, and if it is folded out, it almost completely covers the second chair.

I'll take the Family Bedroom if it is not much more expensive than a Roomette, but I always prefer Bedrooms. Advantages of the Family Bedroom are that it's nice to have windows on both sides, and the large lower berth is a full foot wider than the lower in a Roomette. It is easy to exit the room at night, with about a foot of space between the bed and the wall versus a few inches in a Bedroom. You can clean your windows at certain stations. Three toilets, the shower, the luggage rack, and the door to step outside are all nearby. It is the only room with a swinging door that latches shut when you leave--all other rooms have sliding doors that can't be latched when you leave, and tend to slide open if not latched from the inside.

Disadvantages of the Family Bedroom are that it lacks a private toilet and has small windows. It's just not as comfortable as a Bedroom--if you put your feet up and sit crossways on the couch while leaning against the wall (as it is nice to do in a Bedroom), you're trying to look out a small window nine feet away. If there's two people in the Family Bedroom, you end up usually sitting one at each window, and again you're nine feet from each other. There is an even chance that the couch will be oriented forwards or backwards.

That chair in the regular Bedrooms is indeed uncomfortable and almost always mechanically deficient. The arms are usually bent down. The cushion is very hard. The Superliners were built with folding chairs that would stow under the bed. These were long-time fixtures of bedrooms in sleeping cars, so they were well-designed and quite comfortable. It is my impression that the unattached folding chairs were replaced after the Big Bayou Canot disaster in 1993--there might have been injuries from loose furniture flying around.

Last edited:
It is my impression that the unattached folding chairs were replaced after the Big Bayou Canot disaster in 1993--there might have been injuries from loose furniture flying around.
And probably the same reason we have fixed booths in diners and lounges. Fortunately the Canadian hasn’t had to make that change. I do hope the next generation of these cars on Amtrak will bring back some of the so comfortable swivel chairs that the PPC had.

WOW!
Thanks to all for your great feedback. Looks like I will stick with the bedroom, given all the pros and cons that you have validated for me.

Does anyone know why the SB (53) has been arriving consistently late ( between 2 to 5 hours) for the last several days?
Both 52 and 53 had been departing and arriving late since mid to late March. This was due to a fatality and freight traffic for NB 52 in March at some point in March. That delay caused the next SB 53 to be late leaving and arriving at each station. I was on NB 52 on 3/28 and we were 1-1/2 hr late into LOR on 3/29. This made both SB and NB in each direction late.

It appears as if yesterday’s (4/2) NB 52 left SFA on time, but may be a bit late into LOR this morning (4/3). As of this minute, I cannot find info on yesterday’s (4/2) SB 53 into SFA.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: 8:22 am pic from today (4/3) of 52 and 53
1712233370508.png

Last edited:
Semi annual Autotrain trip and every year it continues to get worse.
Booked a sleeper NB a few months ago full fare this time of year. Specifically requested any sleeping room except for A. That’s because the A room is smaller, less baggage space and a bath door that doesn’t completely open. Not to mention the endless door noise between cars. We had room B assigned.
A few weeks later there was a fare change made. Saved a few dollars. What they didn’t tell us our room was changed. You guessed it. Room A.
Checked in for the trip today and surprise!! Of course it’s a full train so nothing else is available.
It gets worse. After boarding we find that our sleeper car has no ice and no coffee capacity. It’s all been removed. If we want either we should go to the next car or lounge.
The A room is the worst of the sleepers. We’ve avoided them for near 30 years of Autotrain travel.
But each trip the amenities etc get worse. Dont need to hear that new sleepers are coming. Been hearing that bs for 10 years. My advice is fly or drive. Forget the Autotrain. It’s not worth the big $.
FYI I did file a complaint with Amtrak requesting a refund. .

Semi annual Autotrain trip and every year it continues to get worse.
Booked a sleeper NB a few months ago full fare this time of year. Specifically requested any sleeping room except for A. That’s because the A room is smaller, less baggage space and a bath door that doesn’t completely open. Not to mention the endless door noise between cars. We had room B assigned.
A few weeks later there was a fare change made. Saved a few dollars. What they didn’t tell us our room was changed. You guessed it. Room A.
Checked in for the trip today and surprise!! Of course it’s a full train so nothing else is available.
It gets worse. After boarding we find that our sleeper car has no ice and no coffee capacity. It’s all been removed. If we want either we should go to the next car or lounge.
The A room is the worst of the sleepers. We’ve avoided them for near 30 years of Autotrain travel.
But each trip the amenities etc get worse. Dont need to hear that new sleepers are coming. Been hearing that bs for 10 years. My advice is fly or drive. Forget the Autotrain. It’s not worth the big $.
FYI I did file a complaint with Amtrak requesting a refund. .
I wouldn't count on that refund.

Semi annual Autotrain trip and every year it continues to get worse
That hasn’t been our experience. Since moving to FL in 2021 we’ve taken the A-T 7 times and each once has been better than the last. Our first one was 10 hours late with the diner being closed to passengers (lack of crew-Covid) and no AC in our sleeper. Without requesting it we got a full refund. Since then no equipment problems and always good crew with improving diner service and the sleeper lounge attendant has been restored.

While bedroom A would not be my first choice, it’s nice not to have to worry about a rattling door to the next door room and noisy neighbors. While a bit smaller, certainly not a problem for us on A-T as we leave our stuff in the car and only take two small backpacks for overnight needs.

Last edited:
That hasn’t been our experience. Since moving to FL in 2021 we’ve taken the A-T 7 times and each once has been better than the last. Our first one was 10 hours late with the diner being closed to passengers (lack of crew-Covid) and no AC in our sleeper. Without requesting it we got a full refund. Since then no equipment problems and always good crew with improving diner service and the sleeper lounge attendant has been restored.

While bedroom A would not be my first choice, it’s nice not to have to worry about a rattling door to the next door room and noisy neighbors. While a bit smaller, certainly not a problem for us on A-T as we leave our stuff in the car and only take two small backpacks for overnight needs.
You missed the better days. Free wine tasting, free cheese and crackers, free movies, free cookies. Free snacks as well. How about free bottled juices for the sleeper cars. Did u know the dinner was surf and turf years back?
Just realized in the A room the ladder interferes with the bathroom door at night. We’ve had the rattling door issues for sure. Of course these liners are decades old. It ain’t what it use to be.

You missed the better days
I think that was true for many trains and certainly on the Coast Starlight with its PPC and lots of amenities, and wine tasting on some of the western trains and real china and flatware on all trains. Amtrak seemed determined to provide mediocre service on all trains- no exceptions!

But I like to think service has bottomed out and is improving now. And, at least you get a free drink or wine now. If you have the right crew on A-T they are even anxious to give you a refill!

Back