Auto Train Mysterious Death

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I just heard on the local Orlando news that a Central Florida woman who was traveling on the Southbound Auto Train yesterday (I think) was reported missing by her husband. Her body was found near the tracks in Jesup, GA. It was reported that a window was open in an emergency exit (I am not sure what they were referring to). It was also reported that the woman had $1,000 in cash with her and it is missing. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into cause of death, how she got off the train, etc. If anyone has heard anything more or different, please post.

The only "window" that she could have fallen or be thrown from - is the central boarding door on either side of the Superliner! And nobody saw one opened?
huh.gif

The only "window" that she could have fallen or be thrown from - is the central boarding door on either side of the Superliner! And nobody saw one opened?
huh.gif
Most of the windows can be removed by using the emergency handle, so it is possible she was thrown out a window, although it is more likely the door. If they did pull the window out, you'd think someone would notice and it would be in the news story, too.

Here's the CNN link, updated Friday eve.

Mentions "emergency window" which would be the standard FRA design in each sleeper and coach.

The plot thickens,,,especially intriguing is the fact that Auto Train is non-stop. Pretty alert CSX traincrew that spotted the body.

This is one of those mysteries that come up all the time. If she was unable to jump off the train, per the story, and the local law considers it a homicide that means there was a murderer on the train! Usually the husband is suspect number #1 in suspect spousal deaths,

but the missing $1,000 (why would someone have that much $$$ on a train?)and the fact that her purse was with the body makes it even more weird! Since she had to have somehow gotten off the moving train, and according to the story probably was in coach (the story says the husband checked her row), you would think that someone on the train heard or saw something? :help:

Im sure the media will keep track of this one, just hope that they report the story factually which seems to be a problem when it comes to trains!(Was the conductor driving the train? There is also the possibility that she went to the restroom and opened the wrong door and fell out. Also possible is suicide? A sad situation for sure. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If she took a header from the lower level, which is really the only way to get out, the door would still be open as obviously she couldn't close it behind her. So that means someone opened the door, "helped" her out and then closed the door and went on their way. And the empty purse is more reason to suspect foul play. Book and movie right anyone?

This is getting into conspiracy territory here, but is anyone forgetting about the guy found in Montana?
I had not heard about this, so I googled it. That's pretty bizarre! The most recent articles I found only indicated that his death was mysterious in how it came about. Has anyone heard an update? I would think this sort of thing is fairly rare and it seems very bizarre to me. I feel badly for this fellow, and now the poor lady in Georgia, as well as her family. :(

This story is all over the local news here in Orlando and everyone seems to be talking about it. Because most of my friends know that I ride Amtrak often, people are asking me what I think (as if this happens on Amtrak regularly). All I can say is that the circumstances are very strange. :wacko:

Here is a the Montana Story for those interested.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/article_da5c2a38-ae6d-11df-a839-001cc4c03286.html

Lincoln County Sheriff's detectives in Montana are trying to uncover how and why a La Crosse man fell from an Amtrak car and died Wednesday morning. The body of 51-year-old Agostinho Carlos Sadi was found next to the railroad tracks west of Troy, about a quarter-mile from the old depot and near the city's disposal plant, said Lincoln County Sheriff Daryl Anderson.
Although the incident remains under investigation, initial findings show no foul play was involved, Anderson said.

"The autopsy results indicate Sadi died from injuries sustained during a fall from the train," Anderson said. "Falling out of the train was the cause of death."

Sadi was riding Amtrak's westbound Empire Builder, was well dressed and was headed to Chico, Calif., to a school at the time of his death, Anderson said.

"We aren't sure how he got off — we are still looking into that," Anderson said. "We will have to contact people on that train, along with the conductor to learn more."
How high are you if you fall out? Or How high is the empire builder windows? :ph34r:

Its the creepy ghost from Glacier maybe they should add a safer train threw Missoula, Montana! :help:

How high are you if you fall out? Or How high is the empire builder windows? :ph34r:
How high is insignificant unless the train is near stopped. It is the speed of the train and what you hit when you land that does you in.

Here's the Empire Builder body story, a couple of days newer than the Moses post above, yet still from August 2010.

It has the great quote from Lincoln County (Montana) Sheriff's Detective Bill White:

“How do you accidentally fall off a train? Either someone pushed him or he jumped… He could have been disoriented, but we don’t know yet.”

In a Missoulian article, also from 24 August and carried by AP, Det. White said the investigation was wrapped up unless someone came forward with a lead.

Here is a portion of the latest story from OrlandoSentinel.com.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Mike McDaniel said Saturday that investigators have begun looking for passengers who rode the Amtrak Auto Train the day a New Smyrna Beach woman went missing and was found dead near the tracks.
In the time since, an autopsy has been conducted — as of Saturday evening, the results had not been released — and authorities have begun investigating what they've called a "suspicious" death.

McDaniel confirmed Saturday that Arteta's purse was found with her body. The woman's family said Friday that the purse was found without $1,000 that Arteta had been carrying, but McDaniel would not comment on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very unfortunate situation for the family. After celebrating the birth of a new child, the family must immediately deal with the death of a mother/grandmother. :(

Based on the observations by previous posters, it would seem unlikely that someone in coach did not notice the lady getting out of her seat, either by herself or with the "help" of someone else? :huh:

And of course she would have had to go down the stairway (this assumes they were riding on the upper level as opposed to downstairs??

Why would her purse be found beside her on the ground? Why would any spouse have their mate carry $1,000 in cash when they had some severe disabilities such as Parkinsons? ;)

If it was a "stranger on the train", how would they know the lady had large sums of money on her? (Assuming she did??) Why would the thief/murderer attempt to move the lady downstairs, open the window and throw her off the train and throw her purse out at the same time? And it would land at the site of the body?

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has an interesting case here, but one might suspect that the hubby might be looking for a means to end the future "suffering" for both of them :(

I hope this is not true, but I also hope this story doesnt sour people on riding Amtrak. Just a lot of unanswered questions that hopefully will eventually shed the truth and light on the subject.

Im sure the media will keep track of this one, just hope that they report the story factually which seems to be a problem when it comes to trains!(Was the conductor driving the train? There is also the possibility that she went to the restroom and opened the wrong door and fell out. Also possible is suicide? A sad situation for sure. :(
It is not just trains; try planes (the Cessna "Piper Cub"), firearms (the revolver "safety", the semi-auto "machine gun", spacecraft (deep space "satellite", law enforcement (broke into home and "robbed" it), and on and on almost infinitium. In most cases reporters notoriously have very little knowledge on what they are reporting, not all, just most. So don't hold much hope of accuracy about trains, it's just not their "thing".

Here's the link:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-12/news/os-amtrak-auto-train-barbara-arteta-20100911_1_auto-train-amtrak-engineer-passengers

Penny, you need to edit all but a short bit of the article out of your post so the site doesn't get caught up in a copyright violation.
what over 3 lines? its not the whole article.
It was the whole article before she edited it. ;)
And I cut it down even more and put it in quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back