Auto Train questions from newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My folks (snowbirds) do two roomettes, so neither has to climb up to the upper bunk. They do across from each other and lower level as they have trouble getting around. So no steps and the room steward brings their meals. Some sleepers have roomettes on both levels. They and I have been riding the Auto Train since pre-Amtrak the Auto Train Corporation in the 70's.

My folks (snowbirds) do two roomettes, so neither has to climb up to the upper bunk. They do across from each other and lower level as they have trouble getting around. So no steps and the room steward brings their meals. Some sleepers have roomettes on both levels. They and I have been riding the Auto Train since pre-Amtrak the Auto Train Corporation in the 70's.
Thanks for sharing, mmatarella !
Do the roomettes have their own toilet??
If not, that's a deal-breaker for the wife.
& so far, we are still able to maneuver enough to use the upper bunk, but I'll let you know how it works out :D
ET

If not, that's a deal-breaker for the wife.... :D
ET
Gurrrose...can't imagine going to bed with my head on a toilet!?!?!? Sounds like being locked in a closet with a bucket! Would she be OK with a toilet installed right smack in the middle of your bedroom at home??? We always get 2 adjoining bedrooms for the 2 of us. I wouldn't even want to use the bedroom bathroom if I had to share one room...too close proximity. Three big (by train standards) bathrooms downstairs.

Gurrrose...can't imagine going to bed with my head on a toilet!?!?!? Sounds like being locked in a closet with a bucket! Would she be OK with a toilet installed right smack in the middle of your bedroom at home??? We always get 2 adjoining bedrooms for the 2 of us. I wouldn't even want to use the bedroom bathroom if I had to share one room...too close proximity. Three big (by train standards) bathrooms downstairs.

Yeah - the photos I saw of those toilets adjoined to the roomette chairs were apparently from a "viewliner", not the autotrain.
It has me wondering - Is there a way to do a drive-by in Lorton, and ask to get to see the rooms on the train, between boardings ??
As a newbie -- the other concern I have is that I just finished reading a thread where there was a rash of delays and cancellations in December, including some folks left holding the bag on Christmas Eve -- Is that atypical ?? Is there any published data on their performance/ "track-record" (literally :p) ??
I would like to know my risks percentages, before plunking down that much dough;)
ET

That's what I thought at first also. But now having travelled in such a roomette with my sister, it wasn't bad at all, not at all. It was MUCH better (less smelly) than using the common bathrooms. When one of us needed to use the loo, the other left the room until she was finished. Furthermore, the way the attendant makes the bed, the toilet (which also serves as a step to the upper bunk) is at the foot of the bed, not the head. My sister and I are of an age where we do have to use the toilet during the night. I was in the lower bunk and when my sister needed to use the toilet, if I woke up, I simply turned my head toward the wall and covered my head.

Here's where you go for train on-time performance. https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/home.php

Most Amtrak trips are good experiences for most of us, but there are occasional disasters. Pays your money and takes your chances!

Maglev - Thanks for that!
I ran some stats from those numbers, and overall percentages look really good, but what the heck happened in September ? (a whole week of cancellations)!

On-Time (I gave grace up to 2 hrs. late)- 94%
Delayed >2hrs but <4hrs - 2%
Delayed > 4 hrs - 2%
Cancelled - 2%

This does help me with my consideration, overall.
I think I will go back and look at several years worth of data, and maybe look for some trends by month, by season, etc.

ET:)

That's what I thought at first also. But now having travelled in such a roomette with my sister, it wasn't bad at all, not at all. It was MUCH better (less smelly) than using the common bathrooms. When one of us needed to use the loo, the other left the room until she was finished. Furthermore, the way the attendant makes the bed, the toilet (which also serves as a step to the upper bunk) is at the foot of the bed, not the head. My sister and I are of an age where we do have to use the toilet during the night. I was in the lower bunk and when my sister needed to use the toilet, if I woke up, I simply turned my head toward the wall and covered my head.

What route was that on Barb?
Thanks for sharing..

Ythere was a rash of delays and cancellations in December, including some folks left holding the bag on Christmas Eve --
ET
Ummm...that was MY train. Another reason to join and get the Amtrak Guest Reward Mastercard. While some people sat at the Comfort Inn for 3 days waiting for an opening...I called my AGR agent, and was on the next mornings' train! It's hit-or-miss. I've had 4 cancelled trains over the years, and left Sanford at 10:00 at nite once. As to "how often"...well..."how often" have you had to take your car to a mechanic? LOL It's out of their control...CSX freight train complications (they own the tracks and priority), kids building a railroad-tie fort on the tracks (true), cars trying to beat the train over a crossing (usually lose)...in general, mostly on-time ... BUTT ... You DON'T want to get in too early or you will sit on the tracks in site of the station until its' personnel reports to work that morning!

Ummm...that was MY train. Another reason to join and get the Amtrak Guest Reward Mastercard. While some people sat at the Comfort Inn for 3 days waiting for an opening...I called my AGR agent, and was on the next mornings' train! It's hit-or-miss. I've had 4 cancelled trains over the years, and left Sanford at 10:00 at nite once. As to "how often"...well..."how often" have you had to take your car to a mechanic? LOL It's out of their control...CSX freight train complications (they own the tracks and priority), kids building a railroad-tie fort on the tracks (true), cars trying to beat the train over a crossing (usually lose)...in general, mostly on-time ... BUTT ... You DON'T want to get in too early or you will sit on the tracks in site of the station until its' personnel reports to work that morning!
Glad you take it all in stride, and i already signed up for an AGR Mastercard-- should be here in time to book my Southbound Leg for next January.
I was planning to book 1-Way, as soon as available, and then leverage the additional points from that purchase to use with the CC bonus points, when booking the return Northbound leg. (Think that's too sporty to hope it all comes together that quickly?)
Anyway; thanks for the advice and great information.
I didn't see any responses regarding the actual superliner bedroom floorplan. I've seen 2 online photos, and I believe the auto train uses the newer/sleeker design, but I'd like to confirm that with someone who knows.
Thanks again, RichieRich

Back