Auto Train to FLA and Bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time we are going to ride Amtrak. We are planning on taking the Auto Train from DC to FLA. The way it works right now, we will have Family Bedroom for the trip down and Coach for the way back. We are a family of 4 (two boys 6 and 4).

I am getting ready to book this, but I have a couple questions.

1. I would love to book a family bedroom for the way back, but at this time the rate is too high. If I book now, can I upgrade my coach to family bedroom or a couple roomettes if the price comes down? My other option is to buy from the conductor on the return trip if space is available. Otherwise, coach it is.

2. I am assuming once your car is on, you don't have access to it.

3. When are meals available? Just dinner and breakfast? Approximately how much are they and is it off-the-menu?

4. You have a choice between a Reserved Coach Seat and a Lower Level Coach Seat? What is the difference?

Thanks in advance for the information. Looking forward to the trip.

K Gang

If I book now, can I upgrade my coach to family bedroom or a couple roomettes if the price comes down?
I assume the AT uses the "bucket" pricing too, which means they initially start at their lowest, and only go up from there.

Since there is only one family bedroom per sleeping car, the chances of one being available at a lower rate on the day you tavel is not very good.

You are correct. You will not have access to your vehicle once it is loaded so take everything you will need overnight with you.

You will get dinner on the train on the afternoon/evening you leave and breakfast on the morning you are arriving. Your meals are included in the ticket cost

The lower level seats are in a small room area downstairs. It is quieter but the boys might be more interested in looking out the windows from the upper level. You are closer to the restrooms which are on the lower level as well.

Have a great trip. :D

1. I would love to book a family bedroom for the way back, but at this time the rate is too high. If I book now, can I upgrade my coach to family bedroom or a couple roomettes if the price comes down? My other option is to buy from the conductor on the return trip if space is available. Otherwise, coach it is.
On board upgrades are not done on the Auto Train. You either book a sleeper before the train departs in the station or even earlier, or you remain in coach once you board.

2. I am assuming once your car is on, you don't have access to it.
Correct.

3. When are meals available? Just dinner and breakfast? Approximately how much are they and is it off-the-menu?
All meals are included on the Auto Train without regard to whether you are in coach or a sleeper. There is a separate dining car for coach passengers and another for sleeping car passengers. Dinner times on a busy train are 5:00, 6:30, & 8:00 typically, although I have seen 5, 7, & 9. If the train isn't very full, then they may only do two seatings.

You'll make your diner reservations when you check in at the desk after dropping off your car. Tickets are lifted during checkin, not by the conductor onboard. Part of the reason that they can't do onboard upgrades. Get to the station too late and you may find that the middle seating is sold out. You can order anything off the menu. The sleeper dining car tends to offer a bit more upscale choices than does the coach sleeper. Wine is included with your meal if you want it.

Breakfast is continental and first come, first served.

The reason that onboard upgrades are not offered on the AT is that the sleeper and coach sections are segregated as to not allow access between them. You can check other dates for lower prices on the family bedroom w Amsnag or book two rookeries. That is the only option.

The reason that onboard upgrades are not offered on the AT is that the sleeper and coach sections are segregated as to not allow access between them. You can check other dates for lower prices on the family bedroom w Amsnag or book two rookeries. That is the only option.
That's not the reason upgrades aren't offered, and in fact I've walked between sleepers and coach more than once on the Auto Train. In fact, I took my brother's entire family on a tour of coach once while on the AT, we were in sleepers. But they wanted to see what coach looked like.

Besides, you can't segregate the sections. The crew must have full access to the entire train at all times. Plus the cooks and waiters in the coach diner, as well as coach attendants must be able to get to the Trans/Dorm at night so that they can go to bed.

The reason that onboard upgrades aren't done is probably because Amtrak doesn't want the conductors to have to deal with revenue management. Again, they don't collect tickets, that's done in the terminal. Conductors don't have to carry the extra paperwork needed to process onboard upgrades. And with no unstaffed stations being served, there really is no need to worry about doing onboard upgrades.

The reason that onboard upgrades are not offered on the AT is that the sleeper and coach sections are segregated as to not allow access between them.
No they're not. There's nothing physically preventing someone to walk from coach into a sleeping car. Alan already gave the correct answer above.
Edit: Not as quick on the draw as Alan was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all these great replies. :D I didn't know that meals were included with coach. That's great to know.

Again, thank you and keep the advice coming if you have anything else to add.

K Gang

The reason that onboard upgrades are not offered on the AT is that the sleeper and coach sections are segregated as to not allow access between them.
No they're not. There's nothing physically preventing someone to walk from coach into a sleeping car. Alan already gave the correct answer above.
Edit: Not as quick on the draw as Alan was.
Having taken 4 trips on the AutoTrain and doing some exploring I was never able to walk up to coach as I was denied access. However, one day I did walk though an all roomette sleeper that was kind of odd. The way I believe the AutoTrain is set up is that a sleeper section is divided into a unit of five or six cars. Three or four sleepers, a lounge and a dining car. There may be two of these sections. Then you have quite a few coaches and two dining cars for the coach passengers and maybe a lounge. Unlike other routes that are typically 7,8 or 9 cars long the AutoTrain in peak periods is 3/4 mile long. The passenger section is probably half of that but as far as I can see they don't allow you to walk the entire train but I do not doubt the info presented above. The sheer size of the AutoTrain seems to allow for an unusual consist. Probably won't take it again until 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having taken 4 trips on the AutoTrain and doing some exploring I was never able to walk up to coach as I was denied access.
That doesn't mean that someone with permission couldn't pass between the two sections.
However, one day I did walk though an all roomette sleeper that was kind of odd.
That would have been the dorm where the crew sleeps.
The way I believe the AutoTrain is set up is that a sleeper section is divided into a unit of five or six cars. Three or four sleepers, a lounge and a dining car. There may be two of these sections. Then you have quite a few coaches and two dining cars for the coach passengers and maybe a lounge. Unlike other routes that are typically 7,8 or 9 cars long the AutoTrain in peak periods is 3/4 mile long. The passenger section is probably half of that but as far as I can see they don't allow you to walk the entire train but I do not doubt the info presented above. The sheer size of the AutoTrain seems to allow for an unusual consist. Probably won't take it again until 2012.
The consist is laid out here: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbers/page__view__findpost__p__241576

Having taken 4 trips on the AutoTrain and doing some exploring I was never able to walk up to coach as I was denied access. However, one day I did walk though an all roomette sleeper that was kind of odd. The way I believe the AutoTrain is set up is that a sleeper section is divided into a unit of five or six cars. Three or four sleepers, a lounge and a dining car. There may be two of these sections. Then you have quite a few coaches and two dining cars for the coach passengers and maybe a lounge. Unlike other routes that are typically 7,8 or 9 cars long the AutoTrain in peak periods is 3/4 mile long. The passenger section is probably half of that but as far as I can see they don't allow you to walk the entire train but I do not doubt the info presented above. The sheer size of the AutoTrain seems to allow for an unusual consist. Probably won't take it again until 2012.
I'm not sure how or why you were denied access to the coach section, but again I can assure you that even if they try to stop passengers from routinely passing through, that it is possible for the crew to pass from one end to the other end of the entire passenger section of the train. The only places that a conductor cannot get to on the train while its moving is the auto racks and the engines.

So if a conductor was allowed to sell an onboard upgrade, it would most certainly be possible for them to move the passenger(s) buying the upgrade from coach into the sleeper.

And yes, it sounds like you accidentally wandered into the Trans/Dorm, a place that actually was off limits to you.

Depending on the pricing, you might want to look into booking two roomettes for the return trip. Due to the family nature of the Auto Train, there are many times when 2 roomettes are substantially cheaper. Looking at a date in June, a Roomette is $126, and a Family bedroom is $547. Of course, if you do decide to book this way, you would have to call Amtrak on the phone, to ensure that you get roomettes across from one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back