AutoTrain Bedroom Sleepers Combine?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

egurbi

Are there deluxe bedrooms that combine on the autotrain into a 2 bedroom? If so, which ones are they and how would you go about asking Amtrak to make the combination prior to your arrival on the train?

Call and specify that when you make your reservations. D/E combine and B/C.
Thank you. So I assume that means that J and K do not connect? These are the only ones available for my trip.

Also, is it correct that they run different type of sleeper cars on the autotrain? Superliner I and Superliner II? Is there information you can point me to on the web with the layouts of each? I went to Amtrak and it only shows one layout. A friend told me to select sleeper accommodations on cars 40 and 41 for the autotrain so how do I figure out whether J and K are in Superliner I or Superliner II? Thanks!

I forgot about the deluxe sleeping cars. Lemme dig around and see if I can find a diagram/good thread to point you to for the full story.

Edit:

Here you go - there's a picture in this thread. J/K should connect.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=24434&hl=\deluxe+sleeper\

Here's the rest of the story - the "deluxe sleepers" as you can see from the picture have 10 bedrooms upstairs instead of the "normal" 10 roomettes and 5 bedrooms. They are Superliner II cars, but not all SLIIs are the "deluxe" layout (in fact only 6 were built as opposed to 48 "normal" layouts). Of the 6, one was wrecked and is out of service, the other 5 all run on the Auto Train.

The 40 or 41 car is another thing entirely, which refer to the car's line number (which is different than the number painted on the side, or "Superliner I/Superliner II"). Here's a thread that where you can see (and hopefully disern the pattern) the line numbers for every train that Amtrak runs:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbers/page__p__241576__

As you can see, the "40" or "41" cars are right next to the diner, which is why your friend probably suggested them. They're also usually the Deluxe Sleepers, so if you're going to be in rooms J/K you'll most likely be in one of those two cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about the deluxe sleeping cars. Lemme dig around and see if I can find a diagram/good thread to point you to for the full story.

Edit:

Here you go - there's a picture in this thread. J/K should connect.

http://discuss.amtra...deluxe+sleeper\

Here's the rest of the story - the "deluxe sleepers" as you can see from the picture have 10 bedrooms upstairs instead of the "normal" 10 roomettes and 5 bedrooms. They are Superliner II cars, but not all SLIIs are the "deluxe" layout (in fact only 6 were built as opposed to 48 "normal" layouts). Of the 6, one was wrecked and is out of service, the other 5 all run on the Auto Train.

The 40 or 41 car is another thing entirely, which refer to the car's line number (which is different than the number painted on the side, or "Superliner I/Superliner II"). Here's a thread that where you can see (and hopefully disern the pattern) the line numbers for every train that Amtrak runs:

http://discuss.amtra...ge__p__241576__

As you can see, the "40" or "41" cars are right next to the diner, which is why your friend probably suggested them. They're also usually the Deluxe Sleepers, so if you're going to be in rooms J/K you'll most likely be in one of those two cars.
Ryan -- you absolutely rock! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Auto Train never uses Superliner I equipment. It exclusively uses Superliner II equipment.

And while the 40 car is always next to the diner and always of the type that have only Deluxe Bedrooms on the upper level, however the 41 car is next to the cafe/lounge car that in turn is next to the diner. Additionally there is still a chance of getting an all Deluxe sleeper that is either the 42 or car and therefore one car removed from the dining car.

however the 41 car is next to the cafe/lounge car that in turn is next to the diner.
Good catch. Since they use part of the lounge for diner seating, I always tend to think of that as "one car" even though it's obviously two.
When there is a second deluxe sleeper, it goes as the 42, not the 41 (that's where the second thread I referenced had it listed)?

When there is a second deluxe sleeper, it goes as the 42, not the 41 (that's where the second thread I referenced had it listed)?
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse people. The AT always runs with 2 all Deluxe Sleepers and they are always the 40 & 41 cars. During peak periods, the AT sometimes runs with 3 Deluxe Sleepers. In that case, that 3rd all Deluxe Sleeper will be the 42 car.

Well, thank you to EVERYONE who has replied! (but special thanks to Ryan who replied first!)

I called Amtrak. Interestingly, the agent told me that they did not believe the Deluxe Sleepers on the Autotrain had bedrooms that connected. I pressed her on this and then she said she was unsure. Her asking a supervisor did not help. She did confirm for me that 40 and 41 in each direction are Deluxe Superliner II sleepers and will have 10 bedrooms on top level, no roomettes. She said they are labelled ABCDE and JKLMN.

So, here goes my last 2 series of questions to the experts, as it is readily apparent that all of you know more than Amtrak customer service (!).

1. I've been offered either D/E or J/K in the Deluxe Sleepers on the Autotrain on train 40. Will either or both of these connect to one another?

2. If they do connect, how do they connect? Through a door, through a wall? Do you need to tell them in advance to take anything down so they can be connected? Does connecting them add to the interior space or is it more trouble than it is worth if it requires advanced modification.

You all are the best. So glad I found my way here.

I'm pretty sure that J/K combine, D/E do for sure.

They connect through a door that slides back into the wall - I would think that they can open them up when you arrive, I think that all you need is a coach key to unlock the door and it slides back out of the way. I've never seen one open, it seems like it would be really nice.

And Ryan wins the prize again! I will go with D/E just to be sure and report back on my experience. Thank you again!

egurbi,

If I'm not too late and you haven't already called, call this number 1-877-754-7495. That is a special number for the Auto Train. The people on the other end of that phone deal exclusively with the Auto Train and know everything about it. Calling them to make your reservation will ensure that you get rooms that connect and they will note in your reservation to have the sliding door open. That way everything should be good to go for you.

But even if something does go wrong, or if I'm too late, the attendant in the sleeping car has the key that is needed to unlock that sliding door. Just let him know that you need it opened if it is still closed when you arrive.

Now to answer your other question, opening the door doesn't really add much space, but it does make things appear more roomy as your eye is now deceived by seeing all that space in the other room on the other side of that previously closed door.

But it certainly makes things far more convienent for your trip as you can all talk with one another and you don't have to go out into the hall to chat with one another. It's also nice in that one room will always have the big couch facing in the direction of travel, while the other couch will face the rear of the train. So people can move about freely with that connecting door open and pick the seat that pleases them the most.

J&K do combine, so that choice is up to you.

And yes, I would have them note in your reservation that you'd like the door to be opened.

I'm pretty sure that J/K combine, D/E do for sure.

They connect through a door that slides back into the wall - I would think that they can open them up when you arrive, I think that all you need is a coach key to unlock the door and it slides back out of the way. I've never seen one open, it seems like it would be really nice.
A couple of weeks ago, I was standing my room (in bedroom E on the Empire Builder, I think) and all of the sudden the door opens between D and E. It sure surprised me and the couple sitting in bedroom D. :giggle: Fortunately for all of us, we were all dressed. My guess is that the door between the rooms had been closed, but not locked and the movement of the train opened the door.

Penny,

I'd say that your guess is 100% correct. Could be that someone just forgot to relock it, or it could be that years of rattling and stress have bent things a bit and they thought that they had locked it, but alas it didn't catch.

We were just on the Auto Train in August - we had two Bedrooms and we were told they did not have two rooms in the same car when we booked. But when we arrived at Lorton, the agent at the counter was very helpful. He offered to put us in two bedrooms in the same car, that could open to each other (it was a standard Superliner Sleeping car). We did not use that feature until the next morning, but It was nice to have all that open space, like a suite.

Here's a page with diagrams of Superliner cars. I don't know how old or accurate it is, but it may give you some ideas as to how the various Superliner cars are set up.

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Deluxe Sleeping Car

I would like to thank everyone for their extremely helpful replies. This is a wonderful resource and you are all to be commended for responding so quickly. I will be calling the dedicated AutoTrain line to make sure the rooms open. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back