Back from my trip to chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanNebraska

Service Attendant
Well, we came on in Friday 5 hours late but we had nothing really planned so it wasn’t a big deal. I got to do a lot of shopping and sightseeing on Saturday and went down to Millennium Park. Good concert. We left today ten mins. late out of Union Station but ‘6’ was only an HOUR!!! late today, AMAZING !! We got a bad dispatch in the middle of Iowa and had to wait 30 mins. for two coal trains. BNSF otherwise gave us total priority on both 5 and 6. There were a lot of BNSF employees going around Iowa on board and I got to talk to them a lot, which was cool. We of course talked about UP and how evil they are lol. They actually mentioned on BNSF that the engineer and dispatch would actually get in trouble with corp. if they don’t give Amtrak priority when possible, which I found interesting. This one guy who is a conductor on BNSF actually said they many times wait 3 hours or more for Amtrak to pass.

I will have some pictures up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you had a fun time in Chicago.

I was wondering if anyone else was aware that you can follow the Chicago River from the Amtrak station and it will take you to Navy Pier. I have walked it on a nice day and I'd recommend it to anyone. Sorry, that was about 3 or 4 years ago and I can't recall how long it took. But it was very enjoyable.

I was wondering if anyone else was aware that you can follow the Chicago River from the Amtrak station and it will take you to Navy Pier. I have walked it on a nice day and I'd recommend it to anyone. Sorry, that was about 3 or 4 years ago and I can't recall how long it took. But it was very enjoyable.

You can also take the water taxi from just in front of the Sears Tower to Navy Pier. Very cool way to spend a layover....

You can also take the water taxi either way. It takes about 25 minutes and gives a great view of the cityscape. The taxi stops on the east side of the river, right across from CUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back