Back from our first train ride.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

To all those who assisted us in our first train ride - thanks. We just got back Thursday afternoon from our trip. We left May 26th out of Peoria, IL on a bus to Indy. Waited about an hour or so (Indy train station looks like something out of the sixties). Got on board around l:l5 a.m. The four of us got seats across from each other. Then we had little pillows handed out to us. We tried to sleep on the train but it is kind of hard to sleep in a chair. The food on the Cardinal was not very good. We arrived around ll:30 p.m. in NYC. A day before we were to return on our trip, I got a phone call on my cell phone and they said that we were to exchange our tickets from non-layover to a one stop layover. This was due to some mechanics. We had to switch in Washington, D.C. That was fun!!!! Not.

We (along with a lot of other people) had to carry our suitcases off of one train up into the terminal and then to another part to wait for our train to leave. They had to clean the train (that was fine). By the time we got going we had lost 2 l/2 hours. The Amtrak people said that our bus back to Peoria would wait for us. Well we arrived 2 l/2 hours late which resulted in 45 minutes late for the bus. I think there was only us and another woman who was affected by not getting the bus. This was around 8:30 a.m. and the next bus would be around ll:00. We decided not to wait and got a refund on the bus portion (after trying to make the clerk understand what we wanted to do) and rented a car and drove home.

I liked the train better than I thought I would. I do wish they would get some funding. There was quite a few people on the train and I heard various people say "never again". Most of the Amtrak employees was very friendly. I especially liked on of the men working on there. We got talking and he showed me the sleeper rooms. Also told me that you can get a cheaper price once you are on board if they have sleepers available. ON our return trip I asked about one but they were sold out.

We took train 141 out of NYC and we thought the food was a lot better on that train. Maybe they know how to microwave it better - I don't know.

Any questions anyone?

Back