Backpack suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austruck

Service Attendant
I'm going on a cross-country, two-week train trip -- just for the experience and to write -- and I would love to travel light. Meaning, one backpack and then an oversized purse/tote for my tiny laptop and all other personal items.

Right now I have this backpack:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EGLBTQ

But it doesn't have an easy loop handle at the top, for grabbing and going when you don't need to sling it over your shoulder. (For some reason I missed this feature-lack while doing my research.) Otherwise, I like that it is light and has a lot of dedicated pockets and cubbies, etc. And the price was about where I wanted it.

Does anybody have any good suggestions for a similar-sized backpack in the $50 range ... lightweight and roomy? Easy to sling around so I don't have to check baggage anywhere? (I'll be traveling alone so I'll have room in the roomettes and hope I'd have room around a coach seat too for the shorter legs where I'll have a coach seat.)

I'll have two stops with friends where I can do quick laundry as needed.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a particular one in mind but the best backpack I've ever owned was one I got for Christmas years ago.

In addition to the compartments similar to what you show, mine had numerous smaller pockets on the exterior.

That way I didn't have to dig through the larger compartments to find an often used item.

Sorry, I don't recall the brand.

Happy trails

Yes, that seems to be important -- being able to easily access things like ID, phone, maybe pen/paper, etc. without digging through the whole backpack. This one's pretty good about that. I'm probably going to see how much essential clothing I can fit into the thing, based on when I can do laundry on my trip.

And if I can't find a better backpack in that price range, I can probably just sew my own carry-handle on the top in a pinch. :)

Big Iron, wow! That is a seriously gorgeous backpack. And it does have a carry handle at the top already. :D

I like the customization you can do with the web all over the front.

I have the Pacsafe (http://www.pacsafe.com/bags/backpacks.html) I got before my trip cross country last April. It is an anti-theft backpack, really cool features that takes away a lot of worries. I used it in NYC the other week and plan on bringing it to DC next month. They have different sizes to fit your needs and there are a lot of little features to keep your stuff safe.

Wow, quite a few to choose from. I'll have to assess how much I think I'll be out in public/cities because some of those security features look very nice, too.

The backpack you linked to has a top carry loop/handle.

It's in the middle of the upper part of the two shoulder straps.

I becomes more apparent it's a carry handle in the 4th& 5th images down there on the left on the Amazon page.

I becomes more apparent it's a carry handle in the 4th& 5th images down there on the left on the Amazon page.
I also noticed this so I conclude it does have a carry handle, just different from what you expected.

Technically, perhaps they'd call it that. But I have this backpack right here, and it doesn't work very well in that regard for me with my teeny tiny short-person fingers. :)

The one I'm currently using (a lightweight Targus bag) has a great carrying handle but it has all this padding in one compartment (for a laptop) and that reduces the amount of space it has for packing other items (like clothing).

I guess I forgot to mention that part: I don't need a laptop sleeve or compartment. My teeny laptop has a teeny neoprene sleeve so I can toss it into my purse. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You mention an oversized purse. I'd like to put in a good word for the Osprey "FlapJill" courier bag. I used mine as a carry-on for a trip to France last year, and it worked great. It has compartments for all your stuff (including that mini-computer), and a water-bottle pocket. Now that I am back, I use mine as a briefcase for my netbook.

Osprey-Flap-Jill-17l-Courier-Bag72.jpg
42624853_934.jpg

My favorite small backpack is a deluxe bookpack from LL Bean. It has a WONDERFUL top handle, and several compartments. Beware, some of the packs that are linked above are much larger than the example you showed. Photos can be deceptive. Make sure you check the measurements. I get that you are trying to travel light. I'd like to also put in a good word for another Osprey bag (the first one I bought, and I liked it so much I went for the next as well). This bag is super-light, has grab handles ALL OVER, and rolls so nicely you hardly notice it's following you. The only thing is doesn't have is shoulder straps! But it pairs nicely with an oversized purse.

I am also a small woman, so I know how important it is to your travel experience to have comfortable, lightweight, functional gear. I know you are going to have a great trip. Be sure and check back here, and let us know how it turns out!

oregon pioneer: Oooh, I love that purse bag thing! It's like a purse version of a backpack. :)

I'm currently eyeing this one as a better backpack (though I could make do with the Targus I have in a pinch). It's 50L... that's about what I'd aim for in terms of upper limits.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z9TYIA/

I plan to use roll-up compression space-bags to get more clothing into the backpack. The laptop is an 11" Thinkpad with a neoprene sleeve.

I'm currently using this Levenger book bag as an oversized purse. I love it but I have just two regular snaps that hold it closed. The item you posted looks a lot more secure for traveling!

51x1w9s4SIL.jpg

Or perhaps I will stick with this AmeriBag shoulder sling, which holds a surprising amount of "stuff." I've never tried to put the little laptop in it, though. If it fits, that might be my best bet (although I'll take any excuse to buy another purse or tote bag!).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CE26BO

I bought a backpack from Costco that is great for $34.00 has a handle, easy to throw around zand numerous Compartments. I've pretty much lived out of it on LD trains except for a couple of shirts I've removed from my suitcase and hung in my roomette.

Last year I took a round-trip loop across the U.S. and across Canada. Like you, I carefully studied the backpack I bought and thought I had the perfect one. I used it, but concluded that a free one I got from the bank would have been better! Oh well, it was still a great trip. I also had to take a small suitcase, which fits well on the seat of my walker, as the only layover where I could do laundry was on the 8th day.

The purse I use on all of my trips is from LL Bean. It has pocket all over the place and is roomy. You might want to see what they have available now.

Everydaymatters: Hadn't though to check out LL Bean. I have bought winter coats from them, and they never wear out!

AmtrakBlue: I don't even want to try to count the number of purses and tote bags I have. I keep most of them in a large Rubbermaid tote. You know, the kind that's supposed to be for storing all your Christmas decorations... and the tree. :D :D

anumberone: I have a feeling the cheaper one will actually be the preferable one. Better outside compartments and more interior room for clothes.

Yes, that seems to be important -- being able to easily access things like ID, phone, maybe pen/paper, etc. without digging through the whole backpack. This one's pretty good about that. I'm probably going to see how much essential clothing I can fit into the thing, based on when I can do laundry on my trip.

And if I can't find a better backpack in that price range, I can probably just sew my own carry-handle on the top in a pinch. :)
DIY save some money. You won't have to start over getting used to a new pack. You already know where you put everything in this pack. Just make sure to make a strong hold down point.

Everydaymatters: Hadn't though to check out LL Bean. I have bought winter coats from them, and they never wear out!

AmtrakBlue: I don't even want to try to count the number of purses and tote bags I have. I keep most of them in a large Rubbermaid tote. You know, the kind that's supposed to be for storing all your Christmas decorations... and the tree. :D :D

anumberone: I have a feeling the cheaper one will actually be the preferable one. Better outside compartments and more interior room for clothes.
Eddie Bauer has some good stuff, comparable to LL Bean.

Eddie Bauer has some good stuff, comparable to LL Bean.
Feeding my addiction to buying more purses, bags, and totes! Yay! :)

oregon pioneer ... I decided I had to have that Osprey bag and just ordered it via Amazon (where it was a lot cheaper). I will likely end up with three bags: a 50L backpack, the Osprey bag, and my sling bag. All seem to have easily accessible outer pockets for necessary things but yet the security of good closures/zippers. And the two smaller bags have adjustable straps so I can use them in a more cross-body fashion.

I also have those roll-up compression space bags for the clothing. A good hint I read somewhere here is to pack a day's full set of clothes in each bag rather than all shirts in one or all pants in another. That way I can open one bag and can have a day's clothes in one spot instead of having to dig through various bags. To me, little helpful hints like this are going to make all the difference. It's an obvious idea once you hear it, but I'm not sure I would have thought about it in advance.

My goal is to be able to grab-and-go in between stations, etc., so I think this combination will work well. Of course, if it doesn't work, it'll just be more fodder for the book. :)

Glad to see the positive comments about Osprey bags. I've been using them for many years for both hiking/biking packs and for rolling luggage. They have some very innovative designs and durable construction - even in their lightweight products. Of course I could be biased since they are a Colorado company ;>)

Well, it helps that I don't need much nudging to buy another tote or purse or bag. :D

The one oregon pioneer posted looks like the perfect marriage of a purse and a backpack. Function AND form. :)

I have owned several backpacks that were near carry-on size but had wheels. High Sierra has several, but I think the cheapest I had was by American Tourister. Currently I use a spinner carryon as my suitcase, and add a backpack by Lug, which has a strap on the back that can slide it down over the handle of the spinner. CJ

I got the Outdoor Master backpack today (50L). Bigger than the High Sierra I had thought about using, so I will probably keep that as my first choice. I do have a backpack with wheels and handle (Sharper Image, got it for free with Staples Rewards points a few years ago), but it's rather heavy and really doesn't hold all that much, relatively speaking.

If I completely wuss out on using a backpack as my primary bag, I'll probably get some sort of small spinner suitcase.

The Osprey bag arrives tomorrow. :)

This may seem odd, but I read on a motorcycling web site, guys who have traveled light just donate their excess clothing before hitting the road. Upon arrival at a lengthy destination, buy a coupe of outfits at a second hand store. Just keep repeating as they go across the county.

Back