Baggage check through from NJ to San Diego

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retired teacher

Train Attendant
Leaving New York cross country Sept. 27. We will be taking the Lakeshore Limited, Southwest Chief and Paciicf Surliner. Does our luggage get checked through to SanDiego? I was concerned that there will actuallly be someone taking the luggage off each train and being sure it gets put on the next correct train so when we arrive in SanDiego it will be there. Thank you for any input.
smile.gif

Leaving New York cross country Sept. 27. We will be taking the Lakeshore Limited, Southwest Chief and Paciicf Surliner. Does our luggage get checked through to SanDiego? I was concerned that there will actuallly be someone taking the luggage off each train and being sure it gets put on the next correct train so when we arrive in SanDiego it will be there. Thank you for any input.
smile.gif
Once you check your bags at Penn Station, New York, they will be handled by Amtrak to San Diego. Just like an airline connection, there is nothing you have to do at Chicago or Los Angeles to get your checked bags to your next train. Amtrak will take care of it.

The only possible issue is the Pacific Surfliner from LA to San Diego. The Surfliner that connects with the inbound Southwest Chief carries checked baggage, as do almost all the Surfliners to San Diego. If your Southwest Chief is very late into LA, it is possible that you will connect to one of the few Surfliners that does not carry checked baggage. In that case, your bags will be on the next train into San Diego that has checked baggage service. You will either have to hang out at the station for the next arrival, or come back later for your bags. Odds are that will not happen and you and your bags will arrive together in beautiful San Diego.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would personally check the tags as the agent in New York is putting them on to make sure they say San Diego as the final destination with connections at CHI and LAX. When I was traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Chicago via 98-1-58 I had an agent try to send our bags to Chicago via DC (because he was too lazy to get the proper tag). The agent should check them through to San Diego for you, but it doesn't hurt to peek at that tag real quick as he's doing it.

I took this exact route going to San diego. yes, your bags will be on their way to San Diego.

Even if you are not on the same Surfliner that your baggage will be on, you can always pick it up later.

Also, make sure the tag says "SAN", which is San Diego, CA. The agent could have picked "SAS", but that is San Antonio, TX - although the other way is more likely to be done wrong!
Aloha

The_Traveler could not be more correct! No matter what form of Travel It is your responsibility that the tags on your luggage are correct.

Of course I'm right - the_traveler is ALWAYS right (most of the time)!
mosking.gif

A few years ago, my sister and her fiance were going to Cambodia. The airport code for Phnom Pehn is PNH. While checking some information, I entered the wrong code - PHN! That is a small airport in Minnesota!
ohmy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back