Baggage question for RNO-LOD trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be going to Lodi,Ca from Reno, NV soon and to get there I will be taking #5 California Zephyr to Sacramento,CA then the San Juanquin train from SAC to Lodi. Then on the way back I have to take the amtrak bus from Lodi,ca to Sac and then I will then take the Cal Zephyr #6 up to Reno. Now my question is..... It says that there is no checked bags on the bus when i come back..and that carry on applies. I will have 2 suitcases, diaper bag, cooler, stroller, carseat, and purse and maybe an extra suitcase if I shop.. Will I have a problem? Just kind of worried right now. Please let me know all items will be under the weight and size limits for checked baggage.

Thank you

I will have 2 suitcases, diaper bag, cooler, stroller, carseat, and purse and maybe an extra suitcase if I shop.. Will I have a problem?
I really don't know the answer. But I assume that since you'll have a diaper bag, stroller and car seat, there may be a second person traveling also. Those could be applied to his/her count!
wink.gif

I will be going to Lodi,Ca from Reno, NV soon and to get there I will be taking #5 California Zephyr to Sacramento,CA then the San Juanquin train from SAC to Lodi. Then on the way back I have to take the amtrak bus from Lodi,ca to Sac and then I will then take the Cal Zephyr #6 up to Reno. Now my question is..... It says that there is no checked bags on the bus when i come back..and that carry on applies. I will have 2 suitcases, diaper bag, cooler, stroller, carseat, and purse and maybe an extra suitcase if I shop.. Will I have a problem? Just kind of worried right now. Please let me know all items will be under the weight and size limits for checked baggage.

Thank you
Since there are two of you, there shouldn't be a problem, but I would call & make sure. The cooler & suitcases would 'count' as carry on, they rest should not count as carry on. According to amtrak.com, you can have 2 bags per person as carry on. Make sure you call Amtrak @ 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245), speak to an agent to confirm. Have a great trip!

Thank you
Since there are two of you, there shouldn't be a problem, but I would call & make sure. The cooler & suitcases would 'count' as carry on, they rest should not count as carry on. According to amtrak.com, you can have 2 bags per person as carry on. Make sure you call Amtrak @ 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245), speak to an agent to confirm. Have a great trip!

Thank you for the advice. I decided to just have my family drive me to sac since its not far and just skip the bus completely lol

That's true there are no checked bags on the bus because Lodi does not have checked baggage service available. What they do is you put the bags under the bus, retrieve the bus when you get to Sacramento then check them in at the station. All you have to do is be able to get them from the bus to the station (you can probably get someone to help you with that if you need it) a distance of maybe 250 feet.

Back