Baggage Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ns4eva

Train Attendant
I'm sure this has been asked before, and yes I have searched. :ph34r: I guess I'm just not using a good search word or phrase.

Any who, as you have probably read before, I will be traveling from LYH to ESM starting July 17th. I will be taking AMTK-20 from LYH to WAS in coach class. From WAS to CHI I will be on AMTK-29 in roomette accommodations. From CHI to ESM I will be aboard AMTK-8 (of course) in roomette accommodations as well.

Now, to the questions:

• Since ESM isn't a location to send checked luggage, is it possible to at least check luggage from LYH to CHI to avoid having the luggage, well, mostly on AMTK-20 in coach class to WAS?
  • I've read about leaving baggage with a Red Cap in the Acela Lounge and Metropolitan Lounge since I will be First Class and tipping them, but is there a general fee for that, if so, how much?

If you want, you can just link me to any previous discussions to avoid having to retype what has been said before. Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one of the stations does not offer checked baggage service, but you have a long enough layover at a connecting point to retrieve your bags, you can check them part way. In March, I went SAS-PVD. SAS has checked baggage, so does PVD but only on 1 train. I did not want to go back to the station the following morning, so I just checked then from SAS to WAS, picked them up in WAS and hand carried them with me.

I think beside checking them to WAS, you may be able to check them to CHI. (There should be enough time between trains - unless the CL is VERY late!)

As far as tipping the Red Cap, it is a personal preference, but I usually go with $.50-$1 per bag.

I'm sure this has been asked before, and yes I have searched. :ph34r: I guess I'm just not using a good search word or phrase.
Any who, as you have probably read before, I will be traveling from LYH to ESM starting July 17th. I will be taking AMTK-20 from LYH to WUS in coach class. From WUS to CUS I will be on AMTK-29 in roomette accommodations. From CUS to ESM I will be aboard AMTK-8 (of course) in roomette accommodations as well.

Now, to the questions:

• Since ESM isn't a location to send checked luggage, is it possible to at least check luggage from LYH to CUS to avoid having the luggage, well, mostly on AMTK-20 in coach class to WUS?
  • I've read about leaving baggage with a Red Cap in the Acela Lounge and Metropolitan Lounge since I will be First Class and tipping them, but is there a general fee for that, if so, how much?

If you want, you can just link me to any previous discussions to avoid having to retype what has been said before. Thanks in advance for any information.
You should have no problem checking your bags to CHI from LYH. By WUS, I assume you mean Washington, DC - which is WAS. You will have about 5 hours in DC to get some sightseeing, so having your bags checked all the way to Chicgo would be helpful. You can leave your carry on in the Acela Lounge in Union Station, however there is no checking facility there, you simply leave your bags in the coat/baggage room. This area is open to anyone in the lounge, so there is a small level of risk involved. Once you get to Chicago, you will be responsible for getting your baggage from the baggage room and then you can check it at the lounge with a red cap and enjoy a few hours in the city. I don't know how much luggage you will have but there is room in the sleeper car for bags on the lower level and your carry on can go with you in the room. Have a great trip.

I've read about leaving baggage with a Red Cap in the Acela Lounge and Metropolitan Lounge since I will be First Class and tipping them, but is there a general fee for that, if so, how much?
To answer the specific question, there is no general fee for checking your bag in either lounge. In Chicago the redcap manning the room does appreciate tips, and most people do indeed tip. In DC, as already mentioned, there is no redcap guarding the room and therefore no need to tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back