Baggage storage on layover in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
I am taking the Capital Limited in Chicago and it arrives around 9am, I then will be taking the Cardinal out to Indianapolis in the evening around 5:45pm. During that time I plan on stepping out and seeing Chicago. I have checked the union station web site and they show locker availability for a nominal fee. Is that my only option for storage of my bag during my layover and if so does anyone know where those lockers are located in the station in relationship to where they to where my train will arrive.

Are you in a sleeper on the CL?
huh.gif
If so, you are entitled to use the Metropolitan Lounge, where there is a room staffed by a Red Capthat you can leave your baggage for FREE!
excl.gif
Otherwise, there are lockers in the baggage claim area, but they are rather expensive - like $3 per HOUR!
ohmy.gif

If you're in a sleeper -- on *either* half of your trip -- the Metropolitan Lounge Redcaps will store your bags for free (though a small tip is expected). If you're in coach, there are several sets of lockers in different parts of the station (I've used the ones in the southside waiting room), and they are rather expensive.

Of course, any bag which is checked rather than carry-on can be checked through to Indianapolis.

Nope no sleeper, according to web site, locker costs are as

$3.00 per hour, $9.00 daily maximum

So does that mean you can only use them for 3 hours? Or it's $9 maximum for the day? I have about an 8 hour layover, so I would have to go back to the station to move my stuff to another locker...

So does that mean you can only use them for 3 hours? Or it's $9 maximum for the day? I have about an 8 hour layover, so I would have to go back to the station to move my stuff to another locker...
You should be able to keep your bags in the locker as long as you want, with only being charged a maximum of $9 for the day.

We used the lockers last fall for a couple of hours while we walked around the area. There are lockers of varying sizes, with some large enough for large suitcases. The instructions for paying are a little confusing the first time.

You should be able to keep your bags in the locker as long as you want, with only being charged a maximum of $9 for the day.

We used the lockers last fall for a couple of hours while we walked around the area. There are lockers of varying sizes, with some large enough for large suitcases. The instructions for paying are a little confusing the first time.

My suitcase won't be very big, so hope no problem getting it into one, and hoped that $9 was for all day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back