Baggage-to check or not to check?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
We have a trip planned for December. I figured we were going to check our bag and never thought twice about it....until now. We are traveling from BOS to NYP on the NER-no problem since we can't check anything until we get to NYP to connect to the Crescent. We have a roomette. Here's the question: due to the late arrival in NOL we really want to "hit the ground running" to make the most of our short visit there. I've heard it can take up to 30 mins to an hour to get your checked bags. Is that correct?

We have 1 regular size piece of luggage (plus a roll-aboard). The plan is to store the roll-aboard in the room with us...but I'm wondering about just keeping our other bag with us, too, if it takes a long time to retrieve checked bags. I believe there is a luggage "rack" in the room area where everyone can share it and we would have access to it during the trip. But now the issue stands that perhaps someone ELSE can take our bag by mistake and we wake up in the morning and it's gone. Am I worrying too much, or has that happened enough that I should just check the bag? Once the beds are down for the night, can we take the bag into the room with us and then put it back out in the morning? That way we can keep an eye on it.

I know, I know...I'm probably making more of this than need be. But it's our first LD train trip and I'm trying to cover my bases.

TY for any help or advice you can give!!

We have a trip planned for December. I figured we were going to check our bag and never thought twice about it....until now. We are traveling from BOS to NYP on the NER-no problem since we can't check anything until we get to NYP to connect to the Crescent. We have a roomette. Here's the question: due to the late arrival in NOL we really want to "hit the ground running" to make the most of our short visit there. I've heard it can take up to 30 mins to an hour to get your checked bags. Is that correct?

We have 1 regular size piece of luggage (plus a roll-aboard). The plan is to store the roll-aboard in the room with us...but I'm wondering about just keeping our other bag with us, too, if it takes a long time to retrieve checked bags. I believe there is a luggage "rack" in the room area where everyone can share it and we would have access to it during the trip. But now the issue stands that perhaps someone ELSE can take our bag by mistake and we wake up in the morning and it's gone. Am I worrying too much, or has that happened enough that I should just check the bag? Once the beds are down for the night, can we take the bag into the room with us and then put it back out in the morning? That way we can keep an eye on it.

I know, I know...I'm probably making more of this than need be. But it's our first LD train trip and I'm trying to cover my bases.

TY for any help or advice you can give!!
:hi: Nice Trip!Remember you can use the Club Acela in NYP while Waiting and have a Red-Cap take you to your Car ahead of the Thundering Hurd!(A Tip are appropriate!) You will be on a Viewliner Sleeper from NYP-NOL! There is no Luggage Rack on these Cars, your Roomette will have a CubbyHole above the Sink that goes into the Hall and there is Room there for a Couple of Suitcases! If your Luggage is extremely Large the Sleeping Car Attendant(SCA) could put it in the Shower, if one of the Bedrooms or Roomettes is Open Store it there, or even in the case of a Full Train put it in the Vestibule by the Door!

You wouldnt have to wait an Hour for your Luggage in New Orleans if Checked, it is Unloaded fairly Quickly and is Avaialable soon as it is brought on the Cart into the Station!The Staff in New Orleans will even give you a Ride on the Cart if needed!(Tips are appreciated for Good Service!)

Last edited by a moderator:
On Viewliners, in the roomettes, there is a cubby for suitcases at the same level as the top bunk. This cubby is above the ceiling of the hallway, and is only accessible from your room.

Yes, as mentioned there is a lot of room to store bags in the Viewliner roomette compartments. We have put two fairly large bags, two smaller bags and my wife's sleep machine bag up there. :D

But I would agree that checking larger bags will not take much time in NOL and could save your back trying to lug the larger ones into the top level storage area in your room :giggle:

I'm on the other side on this one - getting bags back at New Orleans won't take an HOUR, but certainly could take 30 minutes or so, and it's a very cattle-call process.

So much so that for me, facing a 5-hour drive back to Houston, not only do I not check a bag, I go through Slidell which avoids the whole "Slidell to New Orleans at 3MPH" thing.

If you're going to NOL and want to get a head start on that night, the Viewliner should have enough space for 2 bags in the cubbyhole, and as mentioned if nothing else your SCA can get the bag put aside or into the baggage car if you do find yourself tight on space at that point. And on the Viewliners, no worries about someone else taking it.

If you can handle getting the bag up into the cubbyhole, I'd do that.

TY to everyone for the quick replies! The AU board is full of helpful people and I appreciate it.

After this trip I hope I can come back and pay it forward, by helping others with their questions. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back