BART Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm preparing to make a plan for the Christmas trip and am planning to fly to either Oakland or San Fransisco airports. BART would be used and I'm aware that there's BART Richmond station that is used by Amtrak. Are there other stations, up to few blocks away? San Joaquins is the one I use to go to Modesto.

I'm preparing to make a plan for the Christmas trip and am planning to fly to either Oakland or San Fransisco airports. BART would be used and I'm aware that there's BART Richmond station that is used by Amtrak. Are there other stations, up to few blocks away? San Joaquins is the one I use to go to Modesto.
BART Oakland Colisseum is connected via the pedestrian bridge to the Amtrak Oakland Colisseum station (Capitol Corridor). BART's Lake Merrit station is about 8 blocks from Oakland Jack London Square station that serves the San Joaquin line. Embarcadero Station is a block and a half from the SF Ferry Building stop as well (you can catch the bus to EMY to connect to the San Joaquin).

Unless there is something wrong with doing it at Richmond, why look any further? It is essentially a cross platform change to do it there. (you exit BART, walk about about 50 feet and enter Amtrak.) BART schedules can be found on line, so you can have all the information at hand before you go. All other transfers will be more complex than this one.

Thanks for the reply! Is BART go under the bay or in the Oakland bridge?

I have other rail option, besides being hobo, if the schedule doesn't fit with San Joaquin or deciding to take an adventure- taking ACE commuter train.

BART is a combination of underground, elevated, and at ground level, but all fully grade separated with roads and anything else crossing. It does go under San Francisco Bay and under Market Street in downtown San Francisco, but much of the rest of it is in the open air. For more information on BART, go to www.bart.gov and if once there you click on stations and schedules you will get a map and list of lines to click on to get specific schedules. This is not Europe or Asia, or even New York. Time between trains on any given line can be as long as 20 to 25 minutes off peak and weekends, so the schedule information can be useful.

If you fly into SFO, the airport people mover can take you to the airport BART station. If you come in at the International Terminal, it is easier to walk to the BART station. Trains here are Blue Line, running from Milbrae to Dublin/Pleasanton. You get on it towing toward Dubline/Plesanton. Going from the airport to Richmond, you have to change trains at some point to a Red Line train. These trains run Daly City to Richmond. The map shows the change point as Balboa Park, which is one station in after Daly City. In realilty, you can make the change at any station between Balboa Park and West Oakland. Balboa Park or a station or two thereafter would be better as you are getting on the train at or near the start of its run so it will be less crowded.

If you fly into Oakland, there is an "AirBART Shuttle" bus which takes you between the airport and the BART Colisuem/Oakland Airport Station. At this station you get on an Orange Line train to Richmond. These trains run Freemont - Richmond, so be sure you get on it going in the Richmond direction.

If you have not ridden BART or something like it before, the procedure is this: Buy a ticket from the farecard machine for each person. It is a credit card size paper ticket with a magnetic strip. You then feed it into a slot in the barrier and pick it up and go through, If you have much luggage it is better to either set it over or shove it in front of you and be very close to it going through. Otherwise the gate may close between you and your luggage. Keep the ticket. You will need it to go out where you go through the same process. If you have the right amount on the ticket, the gate going out will keep the ticket. If you have money left over, it will give it back to you. If you have insufficient money on it, it will give it back without letting you through and you must go to an Add Fare machine and at least sufficient money to go through.

If you have not ridden BART or something like it before, the procedure is this: Buy a ticket from the farecard machine for each person. It is a credit card size paper ticket with a magnetic strip. You then feed it into a slot in the barrier and pick it up and go through, If you have much luggage it is better to either set it over or shove it in front of you and be very close to it going through. Otherwise the gate may close between you and your luggage. Keep the ticket. You will need it to go out where you go through the same process. If you have the right amount on the ticket, the gate going out will keep the ticket. If you have money left over, it will give it back to you. If you have insufficient money on it, it will give it back without letting you through and you must go to an Add Fare machine and at least sufficient money to go through.
Farecards work almost exactly the same with BART as with the DC METRO, in my experience. (One of the best farecard systems, IMO.)

Farecards work almost exactly the same with BART as with the DC METRO, in my experience. (One of the best farecard systems, IMO.)
Which is where WMATA got the idea. BART was there first.
WMATA borrowed A LOT of ideas from BART. After all, WMATA was being designed at about the same time BART started. Just look at the car layout: nearly identical (except DC's are much nicer B) ).

FYI, there's a third airport in the Bay Area - San Jose. There's also two more train operators -- ACE and Caltrain.

FYI, there's a third airport in the Bay Area - San Jose. There's also two more train operators -- ACE and Caltrain.
Remember, our original poster's target was Modesto. So, he has to get to Emeryville or Oakland or Richmond from whitchever is his arrival airport. Yes, maybe he could take ACE to Stockton, but that would be a lot more iffy than the others as to scheduling. Have not checked, yet. Also, you end up in a different station in Stockton, unless of course the train down to Modesto originated in Sacramento. Then you just have to go from platform to road crossing. And, yes, you could take Caltrain from San Jose to San Francisco and then get on the Amtrak bus to Emeryville and then get on the train there. I get tired thinking about that one.

Remember, our original poster's target was Modesto. So, he has to get to Emeryville or Oakland or Richmond from whitchever is his arrival airport. Yes, maybe he could take ACE to Stockton, but that would be a lot more iffy than the others as to scheduling. Have not checked, yet. Also, you end up in a different station in Stockton, unless of course the train down to Modesto originated in Sacramento. Then you just have to go from platform to road crossing. And, yes, you could take Caltrain from San Jose to San Francisco and then get on the Amtrak bus to Emeryville and then get on the train there. I get tired thinking about that one.
I could ride an ACE to Lathrop and get on Modesto MAX bus from that station to Modesto bus stop. That's no problem as long as you're aware of the schedule.

Out of curiosity, which train provides more scenic- San Joaquin from Richmond to Modesto station or ACE from Great America station to Lathrop?

One thing is BART does not refer to its trains by map line color (unlike WMATA). Trains will be announced as the Fremont train or the Pittsburg-Bay Point train.

I would think the San Joaquin would be more senic at least because it runs along Suisun Bay from Richmond to Martinez then on past the bridge and through the Sacramento River delta on the way to Stockton.

Have you considered flying into Sacramento and taking the bus from SAC to downtown near the train station? Of course this depends on the airline being considered and where you're flying from.

Have you considered flying into Sacramento and taking the bus from SAC to downtown near the train station? Of course this depends on the airline being considered and where you're flying from.
I've thought about it and check on the train schedule. Unless you want to ride bus connection, schedule is not that good. Plus, the city bus ride from the airport to station is hourly schedule.

I already choose San Jose Airport because my frequent flyer membership is set to expire at end of this year, so I had to book it to extend 3 years. There is one flight that I can go earlier but it has 30 minute layover, so it's too close for comfort. If my first segment arrived on time, I'll try to ask if I could have a early-flight standby so that I can catch Caltrain as an adventure. Otherwise, I'll take Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin or ACE.

ACE #2 (12:05 departure from San Jose) and #6 (4:35 departure) are official Amtrak thruways, with a bus to connect you between the two stations in Stockton. Along with the bus direct to Stockton, no, you do not have to go through the East Bay to get to Modesto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back