Base fare and sleeper charge.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil_M

Conductor
Looking at booking on the CZ from Sacramento to Denver in March, coach fare is shown as $77 and roomette charge is $173, but when I come to book the coach part goes to $96. I thought if you booked a room you got the lowest coach rate, or am I missing something?

Are you booking coach or a sleeper? :huh:

If a sleeper, I'm confused by your statement of "... when I come to book the coach part ..." since the sleeper fare INCLUDES the coach fare AND the sleeper add-on! That's why it says "Add $xxx to the coach fare". Once you choose 1 roomette, the fare shown raises from $89 to $157 (or whatever).

That $157 includes the coach fare plus the upgrade. By going back to book the coach fare, you are making a second reservation for another seat on the same train!

Are you booking coach or a sleeper? :huh:
If a sleeper, I'm confused by your statement of "... when I come to book the coach part ..." since the sleeper fare INCLUDES the coach fare AND the sleeper add-on! That's why it says "Add $xxx to the coach fare". Once you choose 1 roomette, the fare shown raises from $89 to $157 (or whatever).

That $157 includes the coach fare plus the upgrade. By going back to book the coach fare, you are making a second reservation for another seat on the same train!
'When I come to book, the coach part....'

is what I meant to say....

Coach fare is $77 and roomette is $173 on the first page after inputting travel details.

Select 1 roomette and then on the next page the coach fare goes to $96 plus $173 for the roomette.

Is that clearer now?

Just rechecked.

Shows initially coach fare of $77 and roomette cost is $173 which should come to $250.

Select 1 roomette and the total cost is shown as $269 of which the coach fare is $96.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is happening because of the fare sale right now. The fare sale does not apply to accommodations and the fare is non-upgradeable so it reverts you to the non-discounted, lowest-bucket fare.

Hope that helps.

This is happening because of the fare sale right now. The fare sale does not apply to accommodations and the fare is non-upgradeable so it reverts you to the non-discounted, lowest-bucket fare.
Hope that helps.
Funnily enough I have just reached the same conclusion!

Shows initially coach fare of $77 and roomette cost is $173 which should come to $250.Select 1 roomette and the total cost is shown as $269 of which the coach fare is $96.
This is because the coach fares are currently automatically discounted due to the 20% winter sale. The winter sale only applies to coach seats, which is why the base fare of $96 x 0.8 = $76.80 for the coach seat. However, the winter sale doesn't apply for upgrades, so the full $96 coach fare is applied to the roomette. If you used another discount, like AAA, the base coach fare would be discounted 10%, so your base fare would be $86.40 + $173 roomette. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back