Bedbugs in coach/sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1969 Kalmbach reprinted a book, originally published in 1916, titled "Passenger Terminals and Trains". The author was John A. Droege, General Superintendent, New York of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.
This book is now available (free) on Google Books. It's a fascinating read.

Maybe. I hope you're right. But I suspect "no information" means exactly that: no information. IAC, if there is a problem and it's being ignored, then it will get worse. So I agree, let's move on.
Huh? I replied to you with information directly in reply to a post you made.

"Yes, they are fumigated at regular scheduled intervals. In addition if bugs or vermin are reported between regular scheduled intervals the car will be shopped and fumigated."

If you mean specifically about bed bugs if anyone, passengers or crew reports they believe there are bed bugs, car shopped, and they have contracters with sniiffer dogs check out the car. If bed bugs are found most definitely specific bed bug action will be taken.

Same if there are blood pathogens. Car shopped and a contracter will be called in to clean them up.

This reminds me of an online debate we had regarding the safety of the Chevy Volt. NHTSA crash tested one in 2010, then left it outside for a couple weeks, it got rained on and a fire started. Chevy was not allowed to de-power the battery as is normal procedure. So every time a Volt hater, and they are legion, wants to trash the Volt they bring up this fire from back in 2010 and say the Volt is a fire trap. Ignoring the hundreds of ICE fires every day.

So we are going back and forth, I mention the 5 star safety record, the Volt hater says he has an article from 2010 that says the Volt is a fire hazard. I note the fact that not one person has ever died in a Volt accident, and his response was, "If I can't find evidence of the problem, it is because it is being covered up."

I don't think most of us are as wrapped around the axle as the Volt hater, but it is hard to give cites to an issue that really isn't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been an uptick in bed bug issues in the US in the last ten years. They were reintroduced after being basically eradicated. Before Amtrak was a thing some of the RRs were infamous in consumer circles for having bed bug issues. In fact, there was once a book published about starting letter writing campaigns against corporations (note: this was before twitter) called "Send This Jerk The Bed Bug Letter!" The company sending the bed bug boilerplate was ... a railroad.

The book is on Amazon but Snopes has a different take on the whole thing--and names the Pullman Corporation. And then lists some more recent examples of companies doing the same thing: http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/bedbug.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back