Bedroom fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

profwebs

Service Attendant
I was just looking at reservations for a future long distance trip. Looking at the SWC from CHI to LAX, why is the upgrade to a family bedroom $497, while a regular bedroom is $605? Is it because the family room is on the lower level? Also, looking at traveling in January if that makes a difference.

On another note, What's everyone's opinion on what level they get a seat/room on. I seem to want to be on the upper level I guess because I think the views are better.

I was just looking at reservations for a future long distance trip. Looking at the SWC from CHI to LAX, why is the upgrade to a family bedroom $497, while a regular bedroom is $605? Is it because the family room is on the lower level? Also, looking at traveling in January if that makes a difference.
On another note, What's everyone's opinion on what level they get a seat/room on. I seem to want to be on the upper level I guess because I think the views are better.
Simply put, Family Bedrooms are rare and may not be booked. However bedrooms are more popular. So if none of the Family Bedrooms are booked and most of the regular bedrooms are booked it means the latter is in a higher bucket price than the prior.

And the regular bedrooms come with private sink, toilet, and shower. The family room doesn't.

Plus of course Amtrak figures that they are getting more railfares from the family room than a bedroom.

I prefer to be on the upper level, both for the views, slightly less noise from the track, and also feeling more a part of the train "community". All the movement along the corridors between cars, the dinner, the observation car, all are "upstairs". The lower levels can feel a bit of a backwater to me.

Ed B)

Check out a few more days to see if you get a better price. You may not, but it doesn't hurt to try!
I also like the upper level for the same reasons that have already been mentioned. Unfortunately though, it's been years since I have be able to use the bedroom instead of an accessable room! I miss the view and the smoother, quiter ride but am thankful for what is available so I can travel!

Is there a way to book a upper level room on Amtrak.com ?

I thought all you could do is specify the type of room, and Amtrak.com assigns the one it wants.

Personally, I like the lower level for the privacy, the easy access to my luggage and bathrooms and how easy it is to step off real quick and get some fresh air. I still feel I'm part of the community but have greater privacy. I'm taking the SWC in October and don't really care if I get involved with many on the train as I traverse to LA for the AU Gathering. Its been a real busy year so I'm looking forward to being a hermit from KCY to LAX.

I thought all you could do is specify the type of room, and Amtrak.com assigns the one it wants.
Sure, book a bedroom and you'll be guaranteed a room on the upper level. :lol:

As for a roomette, no, there is no way to guarantee that you'll get a roomette on the upper level via Amtrak.com. You'll have to either call or visit an agent to guarantee that, and that could also affect price if you demmand an upper level.

As for a roomette, no, there is no way to guarantee that you'll get a roomette on the upper level via Amtrak.com. You'll have to either call or visit an agent to guarantee that, and that could also affect price if you demmand an upper level.
even getting a bedroom doesn''t assuure upper level, last bedroom sold if train is a selll out is the H bedroom on lower level.

Bob

even getting a bedroom doesn''t assuure upper level, last bedroom sold if train is a selll out is the H bedroom on lower level.

Bob
Just a little clearification on the H bedroom availability for non-mobility impared passengers. It only applies during the last two weeks before departure date and it's the bedroom and the family room that needs to be sold out according to the Amtrak website. Now you may have mean't that, but I wasn't sure since you hadn't specifically mentioned the family room. If a family room is still available during the final 2 week period, then the H room is not yet available until that room is also sold out.

Bob
Just a little clearification on the H bedroom availability for non-mobility impared passengers. It only applies during the last two weeks before departure date and it's the bedroom and the family room that needs to be sold out according to the Amtrak website. Now you may have mean't that, but I wasn't sure since you hadn't specifically mentioned the family room. If a family room is still available during the final 2 week period, then the H room is not yet available until that room is also sold out.

right the "H" room is always the last room sold. unless it is for a person who needs it,

Bob

Just wondering:

Looking at NYP-ATL for Oct 4, the website lists the following upgrade choices:

• Reserved coach seat - priced above
  • Viewliner Roomette - sold out
  • Bedroom - sold out
  • Bedroom - add $655

Would the 2nd bedroom mean it is the H bedroom? :huh: (It is within 2 weeks! The Viewliner only has an A & B bedroom and the H bedroom, besides the roomettes.)

Just wondering:

• Bedroom - sold out
  • Bedroom - add $655

Would the 2nd bedroom mean it is the H bedroom? :huh: (It is within 2 weeks! The Viewliner only has an A & B bedroom and the H bedroom, besides the roomettes.)
Exactly, that's how it shows up when the H room goes on sale publicly.

And that's also how one would know that one wasn't getting a bedroom on the upper level in a Superliner.

Just wondering:

• Bedroom - sold out
  • Bedroom - add $655

Your guess sure sounds logical! Have you considered using the alternate plan with the Washington stopover using a coach seat from New York to Washington then the bedroom for the overnighter to ATL? It could save you a a bundle!

Your guess sure sounds logical! Have you considered using the alternate plan with the Washington stopover using a coach seat from New York to Washington then the bedroom for the overnighter to ATL? It could save you a a bundle!
Actually, I'm using an AGR award - so cost doesn't matter!

But I'm also going coach on this segment. (Hey, I'm cheap! :lol: ) I was just using that as an example that I came across.

Personally, I like the lower level for the privacy, the easy access to my luggage and bathrooms and how easy it is to step off real quick and get some fresh air. I still feel I'm part of the community but have greater privacy. I'm taking the SWC in October and don't really care if I get involved with many on the train as I traverse to LA for the AU Gathering. Its been a real busy year so I'm looking forward to being a hermit from KCY to LAX.

Couldn't agree more, & don't forget the SHOWER!!! :)

I personally like the upstairs better, but on several long distance trips the past two years ended up on the lower level in one direction. Once I got used to it, I didn't mind it and in one instance when a very noisy foreign group was onboard drinking and singing and yelling for the entire day, I was glad I was downstairs. They were standing in the aisle the whole trip, I would have hated to have a room amongst that mess. So privacy was good in that case. It does seem a bit like your in the storage room down there, but the luggage and bathrooms are handy and not too much traffic. I didn't find the view or the ride disagreeable. Only thing was you had to be sure to close the curtain as they were people standing outside looking in to your room at stops during the night other wise. From what I have glimpsed of the family bedroom or handi cap room, it seemed rather cold and uninviting to me. So first choice would be upstairs for a bedroom for sure unless you have a large family and it has to be the other way. A view liner will not have a downstairs.

From what I have glimpsed of the family bedroom or handi cap room, it seemed rather cold and uninviting to me.
The H room is basicly just an extension of the Roomette with space for a wheel chair and an accessable commode. Having ridden in an H room 14 times and having rides 15-19 scheduled for next year, I personally have never felt that it was cold, except for an over working air conditioner, or uninviting, except when occupied by another! B)

From what I have glimpsed of the family bedroom or handi cap room, it seemed rather cold and uninviting to me.
The H room is basicly just an extension of the Roomette with space for a wheel chair and an accessable commode. Having ridden in an H room 14 times and having rides 15-19 scheduled for next year, I personally have never felt that it was cold, except for an over working air conditioner, or uninviting, except when occupied by another! B)
biggest problem with "H" on the Superliner.

'tiny windows"

"noisy" (not people noise, but track noise, truck noise)

"ride is harsher than upstairs"

"depending on condition of toilets, can be smelly"

'if flush system is not properly maintained, you "Hear" every flush, some much louder than others.

'isolated"

'if you don't lock the door folks try to use it for a restroom.

"cold meals, maybe close to what is ordered"

and of course no chance for dinner in the diner, sightseer lounge, wine tastings, movies, etc, etc.

but it is "ON" a train.

Bob

Isn't the H-Room the largest of the Sleepers?

biggest problem with "H" on the Superliner.

'tiny windows"

"noisy" (not people noise, but track noise, truck noise)

"ride is harsher than upstairs"

"depending on condition of toilets, can be smelly"

'if flush system is not properly maintained, you "Hear" every flush, some much louder than others.

'isolated"

'if you don't lock the door folks try to use it for a restroom.

"cold meals, maybe close to what is ordered"

and of course no chance for dinner in the diner, sightseer lounge, wine tastings, movies, etc, etc.

but it is "ON" a train.

Bob
Responses:

Tiny Windows - Moderately true but adequate.

Noise - true but bearable except when poor car suspension results in louder rail noise that I'll catagorize as "BANG" sound.

Smelly toilets - Not as bad as you would make it seem. Besides it's usually your wife and your own smell! If one finds it unbearable, then they need some submarine training! (sniff-sniff)

Noisy Flush - Thanks! Never noticed and now I probably will in the future. The flushing in the rooms toilet is definitely less annoying that the constant banking of the bathroom doors because some users don't know how or are too lazy to close the door properly. Sometimes thought it's not the users fault. Sometimes the door will not close properly.

Locking Door - If you don't lock the door then it's your own fault if someone tries to use it for a restroom. BTW, in the many times I've used the H room over the years, I don't remember a single incident where anyone tried to enter when the door has been closed, locked or not! Also, sometimes if the door is closed and not locked, the door will slide open with a bang, or if open slide closesd with a bang. Most learn to lock the door quickly when this happens.

Cold Meals - Hum! Perhaps I've been pretty lucky! Most of our meals have been far from cold... except for when we ordered cold meals of course!

"No chance for dinner in the diner, sightseer lounge, wine tastings, movies, etc, etc."??? What does that mean to someone like me who can't get around the train anyway? Our dinners are brought to us; wine & cheese too; couldn't care less about the sightseer lounge or movies and... don't miss etc, etc since I've never experienced it, whatever it is!

And to answer RAIL FREEK's question:

I believe that the family room is approximately the same size as the H room, but if two bedrooms are reserved and the partition between the two are opened, then it's the largest room on the train.

Isn't the H-Room the largest of the Sleepers?
well it does have an accessible restroom in the same room. I would suspect that combining the sq footage of an accessible restroom and a deluxe bedroom would be very close.

Bob

On a Viewliner, a certain yes. (More space than the A or B Bedroom.) On a Superliner, I would also say space wise yes.
Your correct about the viewliner. I thought the question was directed to a Superliner. But if the bedrooms on the Viewliner have a partition (I don't know if they do or don't) and two bedrooms can be opened into one, then I believe that the two room, two bath short lease apartment :D would be the largest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back