Bedroom Luggage Capacity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has not been my experience. Every time I've replaced my luggage the new version of the same piece was always smaller than before because the airline rules had changed and become more restrictive. The largest universally accepted no fee luggage size is now so tiny you can barely fit a weekend's worth of clothes if you're lucky.

My roll-a-board luggage fits on the shelf at the top of the steps. It can also fit along the bar of the open-closet version.
Oh yeah? You can't one up this. My luggage case fits in my wife's purse and that's when my luggage is for a two week trip! Closed of course. When I open my case, it expands to the size of the room. I just love those air-removing plastic baggies.

I find that the Vewliner bedrooms have quite adequate luggage space. The Superliners not so much.
Likewise, the upper berth in the Vewliners bedrooms has ample space for moving around, but the Superliners do not - can be uncomfortable or difficult to roll over - also it is difficult to deal with the breeze from the air conditioning vent.

I find that the Vewliner bedrooms have quite adequate luggage space. The Superliners not so much.
Likewise, the upper berth in the Vewliners bedrooms has ample space for moving around, but the Superliners do not - can be uncomfortable or difficult to roll over - also it is difficult to deal with the breeze from the air conditioning vent.
That’s the advantage of the single level design over a bi-level...a lot more headroom, to be utilized.

You might be on the train already, so forgive my tardiness... you can absolutely keep your duffle, backpack or small roller at the foot of your bed, especially when you need heels to reach 5 ft :) I'm 5'5" and always store my bag at the end of the lower level bed. That's because my daughter commandeers all other available storage space. Note, I'm fine sleeping curled up anyway.

Instead of luggage you have to carry, I use luggage I can WEAR. Also known as a backpack. Using a less-is-more philosophy, I can get everything I need for a week inside a 40L pack which is somewhere between a daypack and a large backpacking pack. It fits well at the end of a roomette bed or on the floor when in day mode. It would fit even better in a larger bedroom.

You'd be shocked to learn how much "stuff" most folks carry is unnecessary dead weight. One change of clothes is all I need for a week, assuming I will be able to spend an hour at a laundromat halfway through the week. The same philosophy follows for almost everything else. Google "Ultralight Backpacking Strategies" for an eyeopener, and convert that philosophy to other types of travel (you won't likely be carrying tents, sleeping pads/bags, stoves). It works.

I know this person has already taken their trip but I wanted to share how I have my luggage in my roomette with plenty of room. I am solo and don't use the top bunk so this works for me.. I put my 24 inch carry-on suit case on it's side on the top step going up to the top bunk, with my small back pack behind it. They have never fallen off and I have them in the roomette handy for me to use. It all works for me.

Instead of luggage you have to carry, I use luggage I can WEAR. Also known as a backpack. Using a less-is-more philosophy, I can get everything I need for a week inside a 40L pack which is somewhere between a daypack and a large backpacking pack. It fits well at the end of a roomette bed or on the floor when in day mode. It would fit even better in a larger bedroom.

You'd be shocked to learn how much "stuff" most folks carry is unnecessary dead weight. One change of clothes is all I need for a week, assuming I will be able to spend an hour at a laundromat halfway through the week. The same philosophy follows for almost everything else. Google "Ultralight Backpacking Strategies" for an eyeopener, and convert that philosophy to other types of travel (you won't likely be carrying tents, sleeping pads/bags, stoves). It works.
Wow! Just one change of clothes for a whole week?? I agree that many carry a lot of dead weight and unnecessary items but only two outfits for a week is a stretch for most people. Ive gotten quite good at just a hard-sided rolling carryon for a week-long domestic trip [flying, driving or train] but generally will check luggage for international flights or any trip that involves a cruise [since day clothes and dinner clothes are different for most days]. I also agree with you that it is POSSIBLE to get by with just a backpack but not likely most people would want to.

Wow! Just one change of clothes for a whole week?? I agree that many carry a lot of dead weight and unnecessary items but only two outfits for a week is a stretch for most people. Ive gotten quite good at just a hard-sided rolling carryon for a week-long domestic trip [flying, driving or train] but generally will check luggage for international flights or any trip that involves a cruise [since day clothes and dinner clothes are different for most days]. I also agree with you that it is POSSIBLE to get by with just a backpack but not likely most people would want to.

Not much different than when I go on an extended backpacking trek. I wear mostly the same clothes each day while hiking, but reserve a dry/clean set of clothes for overnight while camping in my tent. When I get off trail to resupply food and other expendables (every three to five days, typically) I do laundry. And I'll predict the next question: "What do you wear at the laundromat while all your clothes are in the washer?" Simple: my rain pants and rain jacket.

Agree, not for everyone, maybe not even for most. But it's a good option to try while traveling by train if one thinks he or she has the mindset to make it work. I've met young people over the years who backpacked around Europe for up to three months -- much of it involving trains -- and they have their belongings pared down similarly.

Is your backpack really that much smaller or more convenient than a carryon size rollerboard?

My travelpro fits perfectly on the roomette step.

Is your backpack really that much smaller or more convenient than a carryon size rollerboard?

For years when flying, I used a single frameless backpack as my carry-on and sole luggage piece, supplemented by a small 'personal item' sized bag for my electronica and things I'd need on the plane or wanted under my control at all times. So, for train travel, I adapted a similar set-up--small personal item bag for stuff I wanted in my bedroom and a carryon for the bigger stuff in the downstairs rack. I've had to adapt a bit since developing arthritic hips and knees--backpacks don't work for me if I'm going to have to carry them any distance, so I bought a rollaboard to replace my backpack for flying. But, I still love my backpack for train travel. It's a pain to hump a rollaboardup and down stairs in train stations...

Sink-washing helped me to spend six weeks in Beijing with a single carryon piece of luggage, but I won't sink wash on a train!!

My travelpro fits perfectly on the roomette step.
The pack I use on a train has a 40L capacity. I can get everything I need inside it and in the 3 outside pockets. Not sure how the dimensions compare to specific carry-on luggage, but I can stand it up vertically on the floor or at the foot-end of the bed and it's not in the way. It holds its shape because of a lightweight frame.

The biggest advantage, for me, is that I can wear it instead of carry it. Easier to maneuver on board, in stations, on the street, etc.

I agree about the advantages of a small pack for travel. I used to carry a 72 liter pack and it was a pain. I now have a 42L carry-on backpack that when I zip it into its small configuration just fits into United’s carry-on test rack. I can travel for months in warm or cool locations easily, cold winters locations are a bit harder. You just do laundry a little more often.
But your point about wearing your luggage instead of carrying it is huge. It is so easy to travel w a small backpack! Whether I am catching a train, aircraft or a bus, getting there is so much easier.
The pack I use on a train has a 40L capacity. I can get everything I need inside it and in the 3 outside pockets. Not sure how the dimensions compare to specific carry-on luggage, but I can stand it up vertically on the floor or at the foot-end of the bed and it's not in the way. It holds its shape because of a lightweight frame.

The biggest advantage, for me, is that I can wear it instead of carry it. Easier to maneuver on board, in stations, on the street, etc.

Instead of luggage you have to carry, I use luggage I can WEAR. Also known as a backpack.
I think most of us know about the backpacking craze. I can't even count the number of times a backpacker has smacked me around, knocked something over, or taken out a shelf of goods while backing up or turning around. 😅

You'd be shocked to learn how much "stuff" most folks carry is unnecessary dead weight. One change of clothes is all I need for a week, assuming I will be able to spend an hour at a laundromat halfway through the week.
One change of clothes is not nearly enough for me or anyone I've ever traveled with. Although sometimes taken to extremes many people also need or desire formal clothing and flexibility. So long as someone can carry and lift their own stuff without impacting others it's all good.

The same philosophy follows for almost everything else. Google "Ultralight Backpacking Strategies" for an eyeopener, and convert that philosophy to other types of travel (you won't likely be carrying tents, sleeping pads/bags, stoves). It works.
I struggle to pack "light" (in the sense of weight) but I do know how to condense everything I need into a single carry-on. My personal item is mostly for convenience and to hold items necessary for work emergencies. My typical packing list is long but nearly everything is sized for travel or multi-purposed to avoid wasting space.

Last edited:
I bought a carry on sized backpack with wheels plus a side handle, so you had three options.
The good thing about carrying on my back was that it left my hands free, but it could be cumbersome.

I'm home and thanks to everyone for all your comments. I do appreciate them all since this was our first Amtrak vacation and we picked a long one. Here is just a few things I noticed regarding our trip. First off regarding the luggage. I did take all I wanted to. We had a duffel, an oversize carry-on and a tote. All fit fine in all bedrooms. Different trains, different bedrooms, so different arranging. Usually the duffel fit under the chair, my tote bag on the shelf above the chair and the carry-on would fit on side of the chair. We would just scoot it when entering the bathroom and at night placed it on the chair. As I said before... I like my stuff. We travel all the time but this was the first on Amtrak.
Trains were clean and they enforced the mask wearing when out of the bedroom. They still have the flexible dining so after 6 trains coming and going from Needles Calif to Kissimmee, Florida it got a little old but for us it was good. The attendants were super friendly, but we found that the ones that worked the dining car were not. We just figured that they were having to listen to a lot of needy people. We ate in our bedroom anyway.
Leaving Needles, Calif was a bit chaotic. It is an unmanned station and was to leave at 12:15 am. It did not leave til 2:15 and we were the only ones there outside of some homeless people. Not the best area of Needles. But we got on the train and went to sleep.
The train ride was wonderful. We had taken a DVD player and DVd's and never even looked at them.
Chicago station...The lounge is nice and they are all terrified of covid. No snacks. A gentleman will come around with gloves and hand out a "kind" bar. One woman will police the lounge constant telling people to pull up their mask. We always had ours on, but just observing this. We have found on the outbound and return in the Chicago Lounge the two women that worked the front desk were more concerned with cleaning their computers that many missed the train. This happened on the return when they did not announce the train was boarding till later and there was several that needed red cap service. While they were lined up for red cap she came out and said that we only have one red cap and if you can't make it to the train they will not wait. We walked as fast as we could with my arthritis and my husband's gout and got into our bedroom just as the train took off. They then announced about 15 people that did not check in and may have not made it onboard. In my opinion this was uncalled for and should have not happened. Other than that everything went well.
The DC lounge was nice. They had out chips, wrapped pastries, protein bars, juice, coffee and a soda machine. The woman running the lounge was sweet and very prompt. As you went in she would make a reservation for red cap pick-up. The red cap in DC was wonderful, on time and actually seemed to enjoy their job. Big contrast from Chicago.
All in all 6 trains and a wonderful 2 week vacation. Spent Christmas with our daughter which lives by Disney so Christmas at the mouse house. We will go again.
Janet

Glad to hear that your trip went well. Sorry to hear about the problems in Chicago. On our trips in the past the lounge in Chicago has been run efficiently although not especially friendly. Sounds like on your trip the staff was neither efficient nor friendly. Glad to hear that DC was better.

Another point to make, is that we gave each of the bedroom attendant $20 and whenever we used the red cap we gave them $5. They all seemed to really appreciate it. When we gave the red cap the tip while getting off the train they would take our luggage right to the first class lounge and when we gave it to the while going to the train the actually took our luggage right up to our bedroom. This was helpful since I had a larger piece and we are old farts, lol. They were all the sweetest and very appreciating.

I'm sorry to hear about your wait. Trains sometimes get behind schedule but the timetable often allows it to 'catch up" before it gets to a major stop.

My first train we had to wait 4 or 5 hours to board and we arrived very late.

It wasn't even Amtrak!

I can't even count the number of times a backpacker has smacked me around, knocked something over, or taken out a shelf of goods while backing up or turning around.
That happens constantly if you have an aisle seat on an airplane! Usually without a word of apology from the offender...Singapore has a set of 'do's and don'ts' posters in their metro system that includes a suggestion/warning that those with backpacks remove them before boarding and carry them on their laps if seated and between their legs if standing. I think that Singapore overdoes things sometimes with their rules--banning chewing gum?--but I'm down with cracking down on backpack assaults.

That happens constantly if you have an aisle seat on an airplane! Usually without a word of apology from the offender...Singapore has a set of 'do's and don'ts' posters in their metro system that includes a suggestion/warning that those with backpacks remove them before boarding and carry them on their laps if seated and between their legs if standing. I think that Singapore overdoes things sometimes with their rules--banning chewing gum?--but I'm down with cracking down on backpack assaults.
I actually prefer aisle seats on airplanes but the routine bumping and brushing does get old after a while. Not just from passengers but staff as well. I've been aggressively rammed by trolley carts and elbowed by fight attendants without even a hint of regret on US airlines. If anything they seemed vaguely pleased with their efforts. So far as I am aware most of the Singapore gum ban story was a myth. Gum was never banned in Singapore, it just wasn't sold over the counter, and bringing your own gum was legal so long as you didn't stick it anywhere but the trash. The fines for leaving it on public property were steep but I honestly support that mindset and hate it every time the US government intervenes to prevent a family of spoiled brat enablers from receiving a well deserved wake up call.

The red cap in DC was wonderful, on time and actually seemed to enjoy their job

Your experience mirrors mine withe the DC Red Caps. Both departing and arriving, their service was excellent, friendly, and deserved the gratuity that that gave them. In Chicago, I also used Red Cap service upon arrival. Needed to get a taxi to a hotel near O'Hare. That Red Cap's efforts to get me a taxi--in the rain--was exemplary. He literally "broke the taxi line" to get me a taxi.

Back