Bedrooms and Coach Seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphisdoug

Train Attendant
If you have a bedroom or roomette are you allowed to sit in coach seats too or are they off limits to you? I know the lounge car is another place you can go.

Sometimes ehen I've been in a sleeper I have walked thru coach cars - I certainly could have sit down in an empty seat but I never had the desire to. Perhaps if I had spotted a friend .....

Would the coach attendant have rousted me? Perhaps but if there were empty seats, why would he bother?

You are welcome to walk through the coaches but few people ever sit down in them.

It sorta can be done, but best to ask the car attendent to be sure the seat is really empty and the person is not just away for a few minutes. Also, even if the seat really is empy that does not mean that somebody boarding at the next stop might not need it

I personally would not feel comfortable asking about it.

One thing I just thought of, but which involves changing the whole dynamics of the question. That would be if you happen to spot somebody you say, ate with in the diner, you might ask if you could join him for a few minutes. I think I actually have done that.

If one sits in coach, I would suggesting having your Sleeper Ticket Stub with you, just in case you are later challenged (by the LSA?) for attempting to walk from the coach cars to the sleeper cars.

Why would you want to sit in coach if you payed for the privacy of a private roomette? If you get bored and want to walk around you can always go to the lounge car or on some trains the observation car.

I have done it a couple times. I didn't ask anyone just saw a pair of empty seats and sat down for like 30 minutes. I wouldn't spend more then that without asking.

Its kind of refreshing to just sit somewhere else for a little while.

When I was on the EB in the PDX sleeper (where there are 4 coaches and the Sightseer between you and the Diner) I did not feel like walking back to the room when I went to breakfast and there was a list. The Sightseer was full, but I found 2 coach seats open. I sat there for a few minutes!

Why would you want to sit in coach if you payed for the privacy of a private roomette? If you get bored and want to walk around you can always go to the lounge car or on some trains the observation car.
Its nice to sit in your private space but sometimes a change in scenery is nice. You can only sit in the lounge or observation car if your train has one - which the LSL did not one time I was on it. Well it did have a lounge area, half of the pitiful dining car, but it was full of folks who also wanted a change in scenery

The Coach seats do tend to be a bit more comfortable the Roomette seats, especially considering they recline and I can understand someone, especially on a very long trip, wanting to get a change of scenery.

Several years ago on the I took a loop trip PDX-LAX-SAS-CHI-PDX and the attitude was specifically "If their is an open coach seat you are welcome". This was in February and the trains were not full. I would suggest asking the sleeper attendent and the coach attendant as a courtesy.

I personally find the open seating in coach more comfortable than in a roomette or bedroom (and have not attempted to upgrade on a couple of trips).

I've done it a couple of times. The first was on the Southwest Chief, during its run in New Mexico. I wanted to be at the back of the train to be able to photograph the front of the train while going through the S-Curves. The car attendant was fine with it so far as we vacated the premises at Lamy where a large contingent of passengers would get on. The second time was last year westbound from Denver. The best viewing out of Denver is on the right and I my roommette was on the left. The car attendant was fine with it though she did remind me that I already had a seat in the sleeper and would have to leave if the car filled.

I agree. I tend to stay away from "steerage" :)

Not to sound like a snob but why would you want to be in coach when you have a nice first class room to sit in that's quiet (Ok relatively quiet) and a private toilet. Personally if I have the opportunity on LD trains I always make sure I have a room where I can work on my computer or listen to my iTunes.

Not to sound like a snob but why would you want to be in coach when you have a nice first class room to sit in that's quiet (Ok relatively quiet) and a private toilet. Personally if I have the opportunity on LD trains I always make sure I have a room where I can work on my computer or listen to my iTunes.
Been there, done that - after a while I want a change of scenery - usually its the lounge or obs car, but a nice comfy seat in coach works too.

As long as coach seating isn't sold out you should have no problem sitting in coach even if ticketed in sleeper accommodations. It's always wise to keep your ticket stub with you in case you are questioned by an attendant.

Broadly speaking, you could be "allowed" to temporarily sit in a coach seat. You have paid for only one seat, so if it is busy, you probably won't be that welcome. If the seat is in use, but unoccupied, it should have a tag above, with the passengers destination. Bear in mind that the other coach passengers don't know you from Adam, and may be concerned as to why a new face has appeared in their community, and without a seat tag. I guess I could imagine you might be up to no good myself..

I have to say that the snide comments about steerage, etc, upsets me, I can't imagine a person considering a first train trip who is reading this "advice" forum for an Amtrak coach ride feeling too welcome..

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that the snide comments about steerage, etc, upsets me, I can't imagine a person considering a first train trip who is reading this "advice" forum for an Amtrak coach ride feeling too welcome..
I guess just from my years of experience, I sometimes feel otherwise. True, 95% of the time, coach is great. Its that other 5% of the time, and in particular, the problems that happen when the train gets substantially delayed (hours... even days...).

Sleeper people tend to keep their private rooms clean, and that does for their bathroom facilities too. Amtrak also tends to keep sleeper people well fed, providing additional meals during the delay.

Coach, on the other hand, tends to have their conditions deteriorate rapidly during any long delays. And it is not Amtrak itself that is creating the mess. Plus, if a coach passenger is on a budget, they might have brought food (sandwiches?) to eat, but end up having nothing to eat for the unanticipated long delay. And with no spare cash, they can't grab a bite from the dining car either.

I still remember when I was stuck on a 24+ hour delay, the Conductor strongly suggested that I not go near the coach cars. Honestly, my kid made a friend while we were waiting at the station, and I was thinking of checking up on them (yea, even getting them something to eat, paying for it myself, if needed). That's why I was wanting to walk there, but instead took the Conductor's advise and stayed far away from coach.

I agree. I tend to stay away from "steerage" :)
steerage what is this the titanic. :angry:
:lol: :lol: steerage? What trains are you on? Do any of the trains offer seats below the water line? ;)

Thats true. Why would anyone want to sit in coach with all the "little people" when you can have the privacy of sitting or even relaxing on a couch where the elite hang out When we buy and pay for private accomodations we use and enjoy them.

Thats true. Why would anyone want to sit in coach with all the "little people" when you can have the privacy of sitting or even relaxing on a couch where the elite hang out When we buy and pay for private accomodations we use and enjoy them.
So that's where they keep the leprechauns- in coach! I always wondered where they were on the train! :lol:

I do not consider myself part of the elite, but I do prefer to ride in a bedroom...mostly for privacy.

So that's where they keep the leprechauns- in coach! I always wondered where they were on the train! :lol:

I do not consider myself part of the elite, but I do prefer to ride in a bedroom...mostly for privacy.
I'm surpirsed you really understand the point. Exactly! All the Leprechauns report to coach!!! Its must have been crowded there on St. Patricks day!

I'm surpirsed you really understand the point. Exactly! All the Leprechauns report to coach!!! Its must have been crowded there on St. Patricks day!
Do they carry their "pots of gold" with them as carry-on baggage? :huh: If so, I've got to spend some more time with the little people! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back