bedrooms on SM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpup

Service Attendant
so I was checking out the price for a bedroom in April 2017 on SM for a Thursday night and it was over $800. Geez, why so expensive. A bedroom on CL was only $400, why such a difference. Would be about the same amount of time. $400 is still to pricey for me, but 1/2 the price. Trying to figure out the concept of this.

Supply and demand. There are 2 bedrooms in each car on the Meteor and 5 in each car on the Capitol Limited.

As Penny said, Supply and demand!

April is A very busy month between Florida and the NE what with Spring Breaks,Easter, Snowbirds returning North, Nice Weather in Florida etc.

A Viewliner Roomette should be lots cheaper and they are very comfortable. Also the Silver Starvation, even without a Diner, will probably be cheaper also!

I do have a roomette on both the CL and the SM, seats still look very close together that we would be knocking knees. But can't afford two and can't afford a bedroom. But, it is what it is, and we will be spending 8 hours sleeping anyway, so really not much time sitting face to face.

I do have a roomette on both the CL and the SM, seats still look very close together that we would be knocking knees. But can't afford two and can't afford a bedroom. But, it is what it is, and we will be spending 8 hours sleeping anyway, so really not much time sitting face to face.
If the room feels to small, you can always visit the cafe or lounge car, depending on the train...

If the room feels to small, you can always visit the cafe or lounge car, depending on the train...
true, if they aren't overloaded with people. At least I can walk from one end of the train to the other. So I was trying to find some information on the layout of an entire superliner train, not just the sleepers. I was curious how many sleeper cars a train has. One car for roomettes than one for bedrooms? So is it basically, coach, coach, coach, coach, lounge area, cafe, diner, roomettes, bedrooms? Or maybe in reverse order, but something like that.

true, if they aren't overloaded with people. At least I can walk from one end of the train to the other. So I was trying to find some information on the layout of an entire superliner train, not just the sleepers. I was curious how many sleeper cars a train has. One car for roomettes than one for bedrooms? So is it basically, coach, coach, coach, coach, lounge area, cafe, diner, roomettes, bedrooms? Or maybe in reverse order, but something like that.
The empire builder is a pair of locomotives, a baggage car, a crew dormitory car, tow sleepers, a diner, two coaches, a sightseer lounge car, two more coaches, and another sleeper.
The Capitol limited is two locomotives, a baggage car, a crew dormitory car, two sleepers, a diner, a sightseer lounge car and three coaches.

The silver meteor south of Washington, D.C. has one or two locomotives, a baggage car, three sleepers, a diner, a cafe car, and four or five coaches.

These are the typical configurations for these trains, but operations can cause these to change.

The empire builder is a pair of locomotives, a baggage car, a crew dormitory car, tow sleepers, a diner, two coaches, a sightseer lounge car, two more coaches, and another sleeper.
The Capitol limited is two locomotives, a baggage car, a crew dormitory car, two sleepers, a diner, a sightseer lounge car and three coaches.

The silver meteor south of Washington, D.C. has one or two locomotives, a baggage car, three sleepers, a diner, a cafe car, and four or five coaches.

These are the typical configurations for these trains, but operations can cause these to change.
Sometimes the Sleepers on the Capitol have been on the back, and the Diner is a cross country cafe, meaning its half cafe half diner, with the cafe in the downstairs of the Sightseer lounge being closed.

interesting, thanks, you guys are so smart, I don't know how you know all of this. All of a sudden I have a hankering to watch the movie, murder on the Orient Express.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I would like to take a ride on the Hogwarts Express, then change to the Polar Express, then ride the Silver Streak the rest of the way. :giggle:

we always get two roomettes instead of a bedroom,, neither of us can make it to the top bunk
too expensive for me, but I am pretty agile, so should have no problems getting to the top bunk. But I really don't like being so close to the ceiling on the superliner (but it's only one night), the roomette on the viewliner should be much easier.

2 sleepers gives you 10 bedrooms and 2 family bedrooms in a superliner consist , 6 bedrooms if it was a 3 VL consist double the number of rooms. Roomettes would be 26 available for sale on 2 SL, 36 with 3 VL 1. Makes a big difference in B/R vs RMT availability and pricing. One H room in either type of car. When VL2 sleepers and bag dorms come on line, things will be a bit different in terms of roomette availability. You would lose one roomette per VL2, to the toilet module(s), and if a train got a bag dorm, it would free up the crew rooms in the regular sleepers (besides the SCA) to be in inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back