Before Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Any ideas where I can publish this story?

Memories of riding the Great Northern Skidoo

By Skidoo Kid

Tires and gasoline became rationed during WWII and the local Great Northern train affectionately called the “Skidoo” was a convenient and inexpensive way of travel, especially for my family who lived within walking distance of the railroad track in northeastern Montana.

At age12 my sister became too old to ride the train for half fare, so being three years younger I stepped into her job of going eleven miles from Coburg to Dodson for the mail or any grocery item that my parents might need.

After walking northwest about a mile from our farm home on Milk River I stood on the wooden platform of the Great Northern Railway depot at the nearly deserted town of Coburg. Looking south I saw the Widow Gamble’s house and big barn, on the northwest the Kubitzas’ home, and on the hill to the northeast the imposing three-story school building. The school, built when residents had high hopes of the town growing, stood unfinished except for one classroom where children of two or three families in grades one to eight were taught. There were never more than seven pupils during the four years I attended. The teacher camped in the same room, partitioned off by a piano piled high with boxes to give a little privacy. Since many of the boxes were Hershey candy boxes we imagined all that candy nearby though we never saw any.

Closer to the railroad tracks the deserted store building and cement vault marking the remainder of what was once the Coburg Bank stood testimony to the unfulfilled optimism of the city fathers before the Great Depression hit and the highway to Glacier Park had been routed through the Fort Belknap Indian reservation for economic reasons, bypassing the towns between Dodson and Harlem.

On this day when I was 9 years old I knelt on the railroad track and put my ear to the rail. The distant sound of the steam locomotive echoed down the track. When I saw the engine emerge from around the bend to the west I stood in the middle of the track, waving my arms up and down until the “toot, toot” assured me that I had been seen.

As the steam locomotive pulling two cars came to a grinding stop, the conductor, stepped down and placed a stool for me. As I stepped up he gave his usual greeting, “How in the world are you?” and helped me into the train car. Holding out his hand he took my eleven cents... a penny a mile…and I was on my way to Dodson..

Getting off at the Dodson depot only minutes later, I crossed the railroad track and went south a block to the post office for the mail. I had two hours to make my purchases and even window shop at each of the three grocery and general merchandise stores in town before buying my homeward bound ticket from Mrs. Swatek, the depot agent. Getting aboard I asked the conductor to let me off at the crossing west of the Coburg depot so I could walk across our alfalfa field to our farm home…and save a little walking time. He contacted the engineer and they obligingly stopped.

On one of those memorable trips I forgot my purse inside the deserted depot. Upon telling the conductor, he responded in fun, “Well, I guess we’ll just have to throw you off the train then!” I didn’t see any humor in it and tears came to my eyes as I thought of the consequences of my forgetfulness. Seeing my distress he smiled and said he guessed they’d let me ride anyway, but not to let it happen again!

Having no money with me to purchase the few items of groceries was no problem because my parents had a charge account at McLeod’s Market. But two hours later when I entered the Dodson depot where ordinarily I would buy my return ticket, I had to tell the depot agent what had happened. She told the conductor on the westbound Skidoo and they let me on the train, but this time I couldn’t be let off at the crossing. Instead I detrained at the Coburg depot. While the train waited the conductor accompanied me into the deserted depot as I retrieved my little red purse--just where I had left it…and dug out 22 cents for the round trip.

I kept track of when the different conductors would be on duty because one would “forget” to take my 11 cents. I called him The Goody Conductor and was happy when a trip coincided with his being on board. On another occasion I paid my eleven cents for the trip to Dodson, but when the return trip was near I entered the depot and took a seat. Mrs. Swatek finally saw me and said, “Eva, are you going to buy a ticket?”

“No,” I answered without explanation.

“Aren’t you going to ride the train?” she asked.

“Um hmmm,” I nodded.

“Well Eva,” she said, “you need a ticket to ride the train.”

“Oh, but the Goody Conductor will be on board and he doesn’t make me pay,” I innocently reported. Needless to say, any freeloading came to an end after that! I don’t know if the Goody Conductor got in trouble or not.

Memories of those days 65 years ago remain fresh in mind whenever I ride Burlington Northern’s Amtrak to Seattle over those same rails. I eagerly look through the train window as the train speeds through that almost deserted town of Dodson, then westward past the farm where I grew up. But now there is no depot, no store building, not even a sign designating Coburg, only the ramshackled Kubitza house near the tracks. And if I don’t blink as we speed through, I am fortunate to spot the cement foundation of what used to be the school on the hill. It was there I received my first four years of schooling, often playing on the alkali hills that I named “Cloudland.”

Can you imagine an Amtrak train stopping long enough for a little girl to go into a depot to get her fare of a penny a mile! How times have changed! But memories are sweet.

SkidooKid said:
Can you imagine an Amtrak train stopping long enough for a little girl to go into a depot to get her fare of a penny a mile! How times have changed! But memories are sweet.
Aloha

Saddly not to often but I have met a few Amtrak employees that would take that much care of a young person,

Mahalo for sharing your memories

Great memories, thanks. :)

I don't know if any of today's conductors would actually stop and wait for you to run in a get your money to pay for the round trip, and I rather doubt in today's world that your money would still be in the depot :( , but as MRFSS pointed out in his recent trip report he found two Amtrak employees who did take special care of a small boy on the train just recently. :)

So there are still Amtrak employees who do try to do the right thing. :)

Great memories, thanks.
I don't know if any of today's conductors would actually stop and wait for you to run in a get your money to pay for the round trip, and I rather doubt in today's world that your money would still be in the depot , but as MRFSS pointed out in his recent trip report he found two Amtrak employees who did take special care of a small boy on the train just recently.

So there are still Amtrak employees who do try to do the right thing.
Yep, there are, but my report also pointed out some who did nothing to help the handicapped folks who needed assistance. But, that's the world we live in, today!

Thanks for the very interesting narrative, "Skidoo". You discussion brought back some memories.

I lived in Browning, Montana, from 1970 - 1972. I was with the Indian Health Service, and travelled along Highway 2 both by automobile and aboard the Burlington Northern (as it was known before it became the Amtrak Empire Builder). You mentioned Fort Belknap..I had to travel there, to the Fort Belknap hospital, to relieve a fellow on vacation a couple of times.

Once, in the winter, I travelled on the BN from Browning to Havre, then by car on to Fort Belknap. I appreciated the Burlington Northern in winter, with hazardous highways in that long stretch from Browing to Havre. I drove over another time, again to relieve a fellow on vacation, during the summer and was impressed by the vastness of Northern Montana and marveled at the driving distances, from town to town, along Highway 2. I drove back late at night..it got kind of eerie driving that distance with nothing to see, along the road, but the high prairie and little ambient light from a crescent moon. At night, I much preferred the train.

Another time, I cut down toward Great Falls and visited the town of Fort Benton. A very historic town..the jumping off place for travellers along the Missouri River. It had a very interesting museum, which I guess is still there.

Those who have not had a chance to travel with the Empire Builder, going west into Glacier Park, are in for an interesting experience. Unlike a trip to most mountain ranges, with a gradual change in vegetation, types of trees, and terrain, there is no gradual change going into Glacier from the east. It is high prairie then, all of a sudden, mountains-- really high and spectacular mountains.

Thanks, Richard, for your interesting reply. Yes, Fort Benton is an interesting place, too. I just returned from driving 90 miles to Havre and back to take a neighbor for an eye appt. That's one thing about living in this beautifully sparsely populated area - it's a long way to medical services. Were you a P.A.?

I hope to ride Amtrak again sometime. I have become friends with one such Amtrak fan and she has encouraged me to write my memories. I've already done some and will keep working on it. There are SO many that come to mind! Thanks, You-Know-Who!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back