Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you get there you can go to the Club Acela. They'll take you out to the train when it is time.

There are also monitors everywhere in the station that tell you what track each train is leaving from. The Cap usually leaves from 15 or 16...

Thanks. What would the one in Chicago be that's like Club Acela? Or is it the same there?

Thanks. What would the one in Chicago be that's like Club Acela? Or is it the same there?
It's called the Metropolitan Lounge. Follow the herd from the train to the hallway that goes by the waiting area. Walk down a little ways, and then you'll see escalators on your left and the Information desk on your right. Turn right to go into the waiting area. Hook a slight left (left of the bathrooms). The lounge has automatic doors with frosted glass. Just walk in and show the Desk Dragons your sleeper ticket. Depending on the Dragon, they might just ask for your name and train number. Some of them don't like the E-tickets because they're hard to read.

Chicago can be a little confusing if you've never been there, but they have good signage. Don't worry if you get a little turned-around. There are various people who can direct you. Also, the lounge can hold your bags if you want to see the Great Hall (which I recommend). If you go upstairs to the Food Court, there are some shops where you can buy souvenirs, magazines, batteries, snacks, etc.

As for catching your train, the Desk Dragon will give you a slip that tells you what time to be back in the lounge. Shortly after that time, they'll call your train over the lounge PA and tell you to either line up by the back entrance so they can Kindergarten Walk you out to the track, or they'll tell you to go to the normal waiting area and board at Gate A/B/C/whatever. There are monitors all over the station that show which track your train is departing from, just like an airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering if anyone could confirm this or not. I catch the San Joaquin 715 (North) to Fresno, and I have to take a Thruway bus to get there. I remember someone explaining the train doesn't run through a part of LA to that area, it runs more along the coast?

Anyways. The question I have is, the person told me I would be the first ones to board that train because it starts in Bakersfield to go North, but from what I've read there are quite a few stops before it on the route list. Is this person right? I'm basically getting on an empty train, minus the other passengers with me? Or will there be people already on the train?

Thanks.

The bus will go nowhere near the coast. It will go inland, straight up Interstate 5 through the San Fernando Valley, over Tejon Pass and the Grapevine, and SR 99 to Bakersfield.

The San Joaquin originates in Bakersfield. There will be other people getting on, those that start at Bakersfield, and those from other connecting buses.

Right, that's what I was making sure of. Really hope I don't have to deal with too many people, but Jan 2nd I'm sure I will be. BLEH.

Hey everyone. Just posting one more time before the big trip Monday. Hoping to get any type of forgotten information that might be necessary to know or anything for that matter.

From what I remember and what we plan on doing:

Bringing one suitcase for checking

One/Two for carry on

Camera bag

Laptop

Backpack for the two bedrooms

All of these for the two bedrooms (Capitol limited/southwest chief)

We have a Powerstrip to charge the phones, use the laptop and anything else we need power for.

We'll be boarding from the Acela Club Level and Metropolitan lounges.

I guess the one thing I do have a question about is how we check the bag. Do we use the Acela club level check in or just the standard?

Otherwise. Any additional information is welcome and again thank you all very much for all your help.

Okay thanks. That's all I really needed to know. And of course if there's anything else you all can think of mentioning. Hope everyone had a great holiday and will have a safe and happy new year!

Okay thanks. That's all I really needed to know. And of course if there's anything else you all can think of mentioning. Hope everyone had a great holiday and will have a safe and happy new year!
Have a great trip, and looking forward to your TR!

Well everyone, I can say I made it on the first train PERFECTLY. Union Station in D.C. was simply a breeze and nonetheless easy to find our way around and what not. The stairs weren't too tight for me at all, and the bathrooms will work too, though they could be a little bit wider for me.

Our attendant is extremely nice, the views are exactly what I expected, though the sun is down now which sucks being we're in the country areas which should be awesome, but hopefully I'll get some nice views once leaving Chicago in the morning.

I do have to admit, the bedrooms are MUCH bigger than I expected and it's a lot smoother/less noisy than expected as well.

So far so good, signing off from the Capitol Limited in Martinsburg, WV!

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip! Closing the door really does cut down on the ambient noise. We keep our roomette door closed at all times and only open it when the LSA comes through for meal reservations.

Glad your trip is going well, and safe travels! Did you have any meals in the dining car yet?

Hey everyone again, sorry for the lack of replies, signal decides when it wants to come around of course.

I haven't ate in the dining car, we've had each of our meals brought to us, but after walking around throughout the cars, I'm pretty sure I could sit in one, even with the cushions on them. As said I was surprised how much room I had, so either I've lost more weight than I thought, or I'm just not as big as I thought, could be a mixture of both.

We are on the Southwest Chief right now for our second day, but first full day. The ride has been spectacular, as was the Capitol Limited, but nothing compares to the scenery we've seen on this train. I believe we saw the Southeastern side of the Grand Canyon, as well as the Rockies off in the distance. Even if it wasn't them, it's been a beautiful ride.

The attendant on this train has been wonderful as well, but I must say the food is 100 times better than what we were given on the Capitol Limited (though their food wasn't terrible).

It's dark now so enjoying some time editing photos I've taken on the trip. I'll leave you all with this one from Chicago as we were approaching the station.

Happy New Year everyone!

11699005064_6bdd23c134_c.jpg

That's a familiar view. :) We cross the Dan Ryan every time we come into Chicago.

We are on the Southwest Chief right now for our second day, but first full day. The ride has been spectacular, as was the Capitol Limited, but nothing compares to the scenery we've seen on this train. I believe we saw the Southeastern side of the Grand Canyon, as well as the Rockies off in the distance. Even if it wasn't them, it's been a beautiful ride.
You are on the south side of the Grand Canyon so if you saw any part of it I believe it would be the northeast part. No idea if that is visible from 60+ miles on the train at night--if you are heading west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back