Best book on USA railroad history?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanA

Train Attendant
Hi, all -

I'm looking to pick up just one book on railroad history that outlines the original routes to present day routes for passenger and freight rail. Any recommendations?

"American Railroads," by John Stover, © 1997. "Trains Across The Continent," by Rudolph Daniels, © 2000. I consider those two to be starting points.

Hi, all -

I'm looking to pick up just one book on railroad history that outlines the original routes to present day routes for passenger and freight rail.
I doubt here's 1 book that has all that.

There might be 1 book that has lots of bits and pieces, but back in the day there were a lot more railroads than there are today.

That much information would require a small library.

I live in a town created in 1882 to support a depot for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Pacific Railroad, also known as the Milwaukee Road.

The Milwaukee Road went bankrupt for the last time in 1980.

The tracks were removed for use elsewhere shortly after, but government topographical maps still show where the rails ran.

Public Domain image - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago%2C_Milwaukee%2C_St._Paul_and_Pacific_Railroad#/media/File:Hiawatha_Milwaukee_Road_Advertisement_1939.jpg

800px-Hiawatha_Milwaukee_Road_Advertisement_1939.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back