best place for cooler in roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're planning a future trip on the Coast Starlight with the Superliner sleeping car, and am wondering if the steps to the top berth might be a good place to locate a small cooler for drinks/wine bottle. Does anyone know the demensions of this area: i.e. - the width of the steps, the distance between the top and first step; and the depth of the two steps. I realize that this is a very specific question, but thought I'd take a shot.

Thanks in advance.

The top step is a great place to put a small cooler. I don't have exact dimensions but my cooler is about 10" x 15" and it fits nicely.

All of the ones that I've had in the past year have been very friendly and willing to help with any request. Although it might be difficult to get enough ice to fill a complete cooler. I received several glasses filled with ice by request to my SCA with no problem.

Thanks rickycourtney - Is the SCA the best option for getting ice on board ?
Yes. They will either get you some in a paper ice bucket from the dining car or they will have a public ice chest that you can scoop it out of.
Either way... I always put the ice in a gallon ziploc bag. It makes it easier to dump out the water when the ice eventually melts.

Are the SCA's usually pretty friendly? It's hard to tell from the videos online
Remember, this is a job where they can earn tips, so it behooves them to be friendly.

I have yet to encounter a truly bad SCA. I know they're out there... but I would say that the great and good SCA's vastly outnumber the bad ones (but for obvious we tend to talk about the bad ones more!)

Just like anywhere you go there's bad apples. But my past few trips I've had some good ones. Bill on the BOS section of the LSL has been my favorite. He was great! I made sure to tell Amtrak that he was a great team player!
Thanks :) I assumed it was a position you wouldn't want unless you enjoyed people and the hospitality industry, I was just curious about it since I haven't done a sleeper before but will be next week. I'm sure they will have some amount of explaining obvious stuff to me.

Just like anywhere you go there's bad apples. But my past few trips I've had some good ones. Bill on the BOS section of the LSL has been my favorite. He was great! I made sure to tell Amtrak that he was a great team player!
Thanks :) I assumed it was a position you wouldn't want unless you enjoyed people and the hospitality industry, I was just curious about it since I haven't done a sleeper before but will be next week. I'm sure they will have some amount of explaining obvious stuff to me.
Any good SCA will spend plenty of time "one-on-one" with you explaining everything. Usually a few minutes after you depart the SCA will stop by your room to point out all the features, let you know what to expect and answer any questions.

I guess the biggest thing to remember is to "just ask." Most SCA's love to help. So if you have a question (like where are the bath towels kept) or need something done (like setting up the seats for a nap) ... don't be afraid to push the call button.

Any good SCA will spend plenty of time "one-on-one" with you explaining everything. Usually a few minutes after you depart the SCA will stop by your room to point out all the features, let you know what to expect and answer any questions.

I guess the biggest thing to remember is to "just ask." Most SCA's love to help. So if you have a question (like where are the bath towels kept) or need something done (like setting up the seats for a nap) ... don't be afraid to push the call button.
"Like setting up the seats for a nap". SarahZ in her recent informative report on the Crescent said something that made me wonder what she meant inasmuch as it sounded as if such a situation took place.

What is involved with this? Having no knowledge of the Viewliner Roomettes, what can be done within the accomodation to make the passenger as comfortable as possible?

I moved the seats into nighttime mode and then later turned them into a chaise lounge because I know how to operate them. If someone is inexperienced, I highly recommend asking the SCA to do it, as it's pretty easy to jam a finger or hand.

There is a "recline" lever under the seats that is easy to use. To make a chaise lounge, you recline one seat and move the other seat into nighttime mode. You'll have a small gap, but it's still easy to sit there without falling through.

As for dimensions, when my school backpack is stuffed full, it still fits.

1958457_10101425188472974_43375815_n.jpg

That might give you a decent size comparison.

I have a carry-on that fits up there as well (when turned sideways). It's 7" deep and still has room on either side.

Just a thought, I have a small red cooler I purchased a at wal mart for $10 that slides right under the seat in the roomette. My dad and I both have one, very common, not more than twelve inches high. If I can find the name and dimensions I will follow up, but they are super common. I've purchased for long trips in Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Seattle and Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back