best r.r.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well BNSF has been able to Double Track the Transcon because they've been getting the right contracts, which are creating yeilds that give them the cash to Double Track. Laying track is not a cheap thing due to taxes, laying costs, maintenance, signaling costs, etc. Take a look at the South Florida Corridor, for the entire project $441.8 million is being spent for 45 miles of track. Granted there is some expense for building stations, and $45 million for a bridge, but still not cheap stuff. Also remember that most of the Double Track BNSF is building is single direction, while the State is building bi-directional CTC track down here.

battalion51 said:
Laying track is not a cheap thing due to taxes, laying costs, maintenance, signaling costs, etc. Take a look at the South Florida Corridor, for the entire project $441.8 million is being spent for 45 miles of track.
That comes out to about $10 million/mile, which, while expensive, is still pretty good for a transportation project.

Any track laying operation is cheaper per mile than any freeway. That's why trains should return in greater force to all big cities.

My vote for best freight railroad has to be good ole' UP. Yep, that's right because without all of the delays and other issues UP throws in front of Amtrak we wouldn't have all that much to discuss about Amtrak in the West save for the occasional track blockage or the scenery on the California Zephyr and the Coast Starlight. After all it's good ole' UP that keeps Western railroading exciting and the Starlate the Starlate.

Is anyone buying this at all? Me neither, but I'm having a good laugh as I am writing this, and you at least have to admit it's a bit daring to say. B)

Back