Best route, based on scenery?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best route, based on scenery?

• Empire Builder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • California Zephyr

• Sunset Limited

• Southwest Chief

• Coast Starlight

• Surfliner (Former San Diegans)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm right there with you. Nothing better than the Rocky Mountains to me. Although I could argue for the Coast Starlight and Surfliners too.

If you want my choice, I like the Northeast Corridor for the farms in Massachusetts, endless coastline in Connecticut, and the exellent views of New York over the Hell Gate.

I voted for the CZ but I'm not trying to persuade anybody into changing their mind if they voted for something else.

seajay

Im voting the California Zephyr, I have never traveled over any of the routes listed above but my Grandparents have traveled over all of those routes execpt for the Empire Builder and they say the Zephyr has incredible scenery.

I've never actualy been on the coast liner, but just on a map, you can see that it has to be breathtaking.

Otherwise I would say Southwest Cheif.

The Lake Shore limited through Pittsfield, MA is pretty nice. . . get to see a neat little plexiglass Amshack, some low imcome housing, a Hilton hotel, some decrepit old former GE buildings as well as other buildings in need of repair, a couple of freight cars in the distance, an overgrown softball field, the famous Applachian train, and if you look off into the distance, the soft rolling hills of the berkshires all around it.

There are numerous routes that have scenic beauty of various kinds. Even a single route, such as one of the transcontinentals--will have many different kinds of scenery, sometimes within just a few miles one another. different kinds of scenery appeal to different kinds of people. Like the USA's motto--out of many comes one. That holds true for scenery. And don't forget cities and other urban areas: they too offer a wide variety. Imagine riding the California Zephyr--Chicago(The Windy City), Denver (mile high--at the foot of the Rockies), Salt Lake(the Mormons, Wasatch Range) , Reno (Biggest Little City in the World), San Francisco (City by the Golden Gate). Also, small town America. There are so many possibilites and things to see.

This is true not just of the California Zephyr, but of the Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Sunset, Empire Builder, the Northeast, and many others. Get out and enjoy it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back