Best side for view on Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the forum, but did not find any information. I am taking the Silver Meteor from NYP to MIA in early April with AGR points, I was wondering which side is the best for sights on the Silver Meteor. I am traveling by coach, as usual, so was wondering which side to sit on and what areas to watch for nice sights.

Some people will say that there are no sights. :lol:

If you are on the right, you will see the Washington Monument after you leave WAS.

On the left, you will see Quantico and a large body of water, which may be the Potomac or Chesapeake Bay, unless it is too dark. I do not what it is, but it is nice to look at.

On the left when traveling through Jacksonville, FL over the St. John's river, there is a nice view of the city.

Also on the left, when traveling between Winter Park and Orlando, there is a nice view of my condo building. :lol:

I believe in South Florida, one can see I-95 from the left of the train. I am usually on the right side of the train.

BTW, I just went for a walk and saw the southbound Silver Meteor as it was travelling between Winter Park and Orlando (running about 3 hours late).

I am not sure of the boarding protocol in NYP, but when coach passengers board in Orlando, the coach attendant assigns seats and passengers do not have an option regarding side of the train.

Some people will say that there are no sights. :lol:

If you are on the right, you will see the Washington Monument after you leave WAS.

On the left, you will see Quantico and a large body of water, which may be the Potomac or Chesapeake Bay, unless it is too dark. I do not what it is, but it is nice to look at.

On the left when traveling through Jacksonville, FL over the St. John's river, there is a nice view of the city.

Also on the left, when traveling between Winter Park and Orlando, there is a nice view of my condo building. :lol:

I believe in South Florida, one can see I-95 from the left of the train. I am usually on the right side of the train.

BTW, I just went for a walk and saw the southbound Silver Meteor as it was travelling between Winter Park and Orlando (running about 3 hours late).

I am not sure of the boarding protocol in NYP, but when coach passengers board in Orlando, the coach attendant assigns seats and passengers do not have an option regarding side of the train.
Oh I hope they let me chose when I get on in NYP. I will be using Red Cap service so I hope it is easier.

26 hours in coach... June, you ARE the Coachrider! If you sit on the right, wave at me as you pass my home, 30 minutes after Savannah. Though my house is hiding behind a city park...

A passenger on the Silver Meteor once asked the conductor where he was. He was told "Woodland". 30 minutes later he asked again. Again, the conductor said "Woodland". Finally, after another 2 hours, the passenger asked the conductor once more where they were. "Look out the windows, Son," he replied. "This whole train ride is in Woodland."

At NYP, because it is the beginning of the run you can take any seat. And if you use a Red Cap, you probably will get first of the first! :)

on the left, when traveling between Winter Park and Orlando, there is a nice view of my condo building. :lol:
June said "good sights"! :giggle: But you may see a crazy woman waving at the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always like the inside of the train (as opposed to the outside). :lol:

At NYP, because it is the beginning of the run you can take any seat. And if you use a Red Cap, you probably will get first of the first! :)
Has that always been the case? The reason I ask is that back in August, 2011, I was traveling alone NYP-PAK and was ASSIGNED an unsatisfactory aisle seat right in the middle of a rather large and boistrous family. Had to cajole the assistant conductor to get a window seat a little further away.
Anyway, I've always considered the left side to be a little better than the right (although the views of graffiti and urban blight might be better on the right).

Last edited by a moderator:
As you pass Lorton VA you can see the big Auto Train facility to your right, though it will likely be dark. Likewise you'll see the Sanford facility to your left shortly before you arrive Orlando.

one of the reasons I prefer the star over the meteor, especially southbound. Unless its the 5 pm sunset of winter, after you leave DC, you can see the auto train station and cars at Lorton(right) and the James river?, Quantico and lots of water(both sides). The old station and Rappahannock river at Fredericksburg on the right( andif you know exactly where to look-I get confused whether left or right-you may get a glimpse of Meades Monument/pyramid and the civil war battlegrounds).

My favorite scenery is the ride through the main street of Ashland and Randolph Macon College(both sides). Then I find the yards at Richmond interesting before or as darkness sets in. Ok, so I love riding the trains, and if I can't sleep I find even the late night scenery through the small towns mysterious and, well, interesting .In the morning there is the St. Johns River, the lovely Winter Park stop(right side) and of course, Ybor City and the backing into Tampa.

Disclaimer: When riding the Southern Royal Palm and Ponce De Leon back in the old days, I found the red clay of north Ga.that almost formed a small tunnel beside the tracks to be fascinating scenery. :)

Well, it's not what most people would call "scenery", but, having studied and worked with soils all my life, it is interesting to see the soil suddenly turn to clay somewhere in Georgia, I believe. Other than that, it's a bit trashy.

It would be nice if there were some sort of program, nationwide, to clean up the along all the rails, at least in populated areas. All the money that gets funneled into tourism incentives; I would think that having a better view out the train windows might make folks want to stop and take a look at what's there. I realize that, for the most part, we're on rights of way through private property, so it wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

Well, it's not what most people would call "scenery", but, having studied and worked with soils all my life, it is interesting to see the soil suddenly turn to clay somewhere in Georgia, I believe. Other than that, it's a bit trashy.

It would be nice if there were some sort of program, nationwide, to clean up the along all the rails, at least in populated areas. All the money that gets funneled into tourism incentives; I would think that having a better view out the train windows might make folks want to stop and take a look at what's there. I realize that, for the most part, we're on rights of way through private property, so it wouldn't be an easy thing to do.
And where would this money come from?

26 hours in coach... June, you ARE the Coachrider! If you sit on the right, wave at me as you pass my home, 30 minutes after Savannah. Though my house is hiding behind a city park...

A passenger on the Silver Meteor once asked the conductor where he was. He was told "Woodland". 30 minutes later he asked again. Again, the conductor said "Woodland". Finally, after another 2 hours, the passenger asked the conductor once more where they were. "Look out the windows, Son," he replied. "This whole train ride is in Woodland."
oh the Meteor is nothing. My favorite train, the SL/TE from LAX to CHI. After I leave Miami in April, I am going to PDX by the SM-LSL-TE/SL-CS, then home the short way, CS-CZ-LSL.

In early April the sun will set in DC about 7:30 pm, which is about 97's departure from DC. If the train is on-time you will be able to see the Potomac as you cross the Long Bridge, and you may be able to get a glimpse of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria. After that it gets dark and I doubt you will be able to see anything else until 97 departs Savannah a few minutes before sunrise, if it's on-time. The trip through Georgia is small towns, coastal plain, and occasional swamp. Jacksonville and Orlando offer some interest as you pass through.

Basically, it's the same story northbound on 98.

Well...the money would come from us, of course. Whether it's from a Regional Tourism Council spending taxpayer funds, or otherwise, it's coming from us. And why not? We paid for Keep America Beautiful back in the 60's and 70's, and frankly, it worked. I can remember just how trashy all the roadsides were prior to that time.

Most of the run is at night.
Good point. That's why for me, the only real "sights" would be in Washington DC on the west side of the southbound train.

Though, at night, one can look thru the open windows of some of the few trackside homes along the route. :D

The same place that the money comes from, for the volunteer highway cleanup crews? I think the cost is just the $100 for the roadside sign proclaiming which group does it.

"This section of track has been cleaned up by the proud supporters of Amtrak Trains Forum"

Most of the run is at night.
Good point. That's why for me, the only real "sights" would be in Washington DC on the west side of the southbound train.

Though, at night, one can look thru the open windows of some of the few trackside homes along the route. :D
The trip is 26 hours. April is after the Spring Equinox, so the daylight hours exceed the nignt hours So, on that trip, with an evening arrival, you're probably darn close to 50/50 daytime/nighttime.

Just looked at a moon table... early April is unfavorable for moonlight. But there is a full moon on April 15 with excellent nighttime visibility if there are no clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back