Best Station for a Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dart330

OBS Chief
I am planning a trip to Niagara Falls for next year originating in STL. We are planning on taking the TE to connect with the LSL and get off in Buffalo. Looks like a great trip heading East with good timings on all arrivals and departures.

For the return trip the LSL is scheduled to leave BUF Westbound at 11:55PM. Checking the status history, I see it is on average over an hour late and in the last month hasn't arrived until 2AM on several occasions. We will have some first time Amtrak riders with us (my in-laws), and a 2AM departure would not go over well.

My idea is to catch the Maple Leaf Eastbound out of Niagara the day we head West back to Chicago, layover at one of the stations between ALB & BUF, and board the LSL earlier in the evening. That way if it is down a couple hours, we won't be boarding in the middle of the night and we will get in some more sightseeing.

Having never been to this part of NY, I am wondering where would be the best station to layover at? I am leaning towards SYR or UCA simply due to the timings, but it looks like those stations are on the outskirts of town.

Ive done the Layover in Buffalo, Syracuse,Rochester and Utica! Utica has a really nice Station, it's Staffed, the Maple Leaf is Scheduled to get there @ 5:14PM, (you could have a light Supper) and a good place to Wait for the LSL which is due @ 844PM! The Syracuse Station is also a Bus Station and as you said is in the Middle of the Freight Yards outside of Town!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive done the Layover in Buffalo, Syracuse,Rochester and Utica! Utica has a really nice Station, it's Staffed, the Maple Leaf is Scheduled to get there @ 5:14PM, (you could have a light Supper) and a good place to Wait for the LSL which is due @ 844PM! The Syracuse Station is also a Bus Station and as you said is in the Middle of the Freight Yards outside of Town!
I go out of SYR all the time for school. Sometimes it gets really crowded during school breaks (loads of students coming to and from Syracuse and Oswego use the station) and because a lot of Mennonites travel to and from on the buses. (It's kind of spectacle to watch all of them just standing around, all dressed in black, wearing either a hat or bonnet.) If OP has to wait a while for a bus or train they can literally walk to the Carousel Centre that's located in front of the station and it's a pretty decent place (unless of course they are carrying a lot of bags, then they can chill at Dunkin or get something to eat at the mini convenient store inside. I recommend the sodas they sell!)

Is Utica the station with the old trains parked in front of it? If so that's always awesome to see when the train pulls up to that station. Kind of is my highlight whenever I take the train to and from school.

Sounds like Utica is the winner. Can anyone recommend anything to do or a place to eat within walking distance of the station?

I can't comment on the place (because I've never been there), but there is a bar & restaurant right across the street from the Utica station called Pier's and Blake! The reviews I've seen average 3 out of 5 stars on numerous sites (Urbanspoon, yelp, trip advisor, etc...).

I'd choose Utica too.

utica2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back