Best tips for first trip on Empire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok great- thanks again for the information. We are all getting excited and trying to get very organized with our 'stuff'.

JayPea- I know right where Colfax is, my mother grew up in Endicott, but lived her adult life in Iowa.
Your mom grew up in Endicott? Small world! I grew up in St. John. The two were good rivals in sports back in the day; now with declining enrollments the two have combined schools. They're stuck with each other whether they like it or not! :lol: :p

One week before boarding, getting really excited, a bit nervous that we didn't get a sleeper, but I guess we will learn if we are unable to sleep at all. I am wondering whether you need to bring all your own water if traveling coach. I am also wondering about whether it is possible to get hot water to make your own tea? If we have refillable water bottles- can you get drinking water or is it all just by plastic water bottles that you bring or buy on board? Thanks again.

You will be able to fill your water bottles from the water fountain in the Coach, its located by the stairs on the upstairs level! The bathrooms, downstairs, also have potable water but the sinks are hard to use due to the levers that control the flow!

At longer stops ( ask the attendant before leaving train side) you can fill your bottles inside the station!

Ask for Hot Water and Ice in the Cafe( downstairs in the Sightseer Lounge) since you you will probably be purchasing some food and snacks from the LSA!

Enjoy the ride and write us a trip report!

Highly recommend you call Amtrak and asked about availability of the H room in the sleeper car even at this late time. You never know and the summer peak season may be past. And bottled water is free and available in the sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back