Best "Value" GPS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ns4eva

Train Attendant
I have used a family members setup before and found using GPS on Amtrak to be an interesting toy (as well a while railfanning). I have decided to explore into getting a "none extravagant" setup for myself.

For all of you who use GPS while on trips, what do you use, or would suggest? Please include manufacture, model numbers, and if you are feeling extra generous, links.

I will be using it with my Asus Eee PC 1000HE (netbook) with XP / Unbuntu (Linux) dual boot.

Thanks in advance for any input!

For $50 you can get a DeLorme LT-40 GPS unit and the latest version of Street Atlas.

Works on my 1000HE Netbook

Microsoft Streets and Trips works well, shows the tracks too. I use it on my laptop.

Be aware that you should have a CD drive to install the program. You may be able to do it with a USB flash drive but I don't know the ins and outs.

This may help installation without a CD drive.

You can order it from Amazon.com for 60.99. I swear I've seen it cheaper but I can't find anything right now.

You can get a break in price if you order the older 2008 version.

Here for $42. That's the one I use. No advantage to the 2009 version that I know of.

Go here for reviews of GPS hardware and software for laptops.

Now these are all street atlas so does it put you on the nearest road or does it have the tracks.
My BT-20 shows - and follows - the tracks! :)
:) that works then!

Thanks

Does it run on Mac?
Yes - and maybe! Per the system requirements:

Compatible with Intel-based Macintosh computers running Boot Camp or Parallels.
:lol: Thanks thats kind of saying no not really but if you run Windows on your Mac then sure. :p Nice to see that it says it right there most of the time with the windows stuff I run on here its more of a buy install and hope :lol:

Thanks

Does Streets & Trips include a GPS as the OP originally requested?

The software doesn't work too well without the hardware.

I've also found DeLorme's Street Atlas to be a great GPS application. There are many reasons to use the DeLorme Earthmate receiver: it plugs into your computer for power and I think it comes with suction cups that allow the antenna to be placed on the window. This is very important for signal reception!

An alternative solution is to use a self contained GPS receiver, such as a Garmin or Magellan model, preferably a model with computer and external power connections. You can monitor the trip on this receiver or on your computer via the computer connection. These units typically rely on battery power, but may also be powered by 12 VDC (i.e. car cigarette lighter power connection) or wall power (120 VAC). This is a slightly more complicated solution, but then you can use the GPS receiver for other activities where a computer connection may not be practical/possible.

Also recommend checking other AU threads regarding GPS use.

Just some humble thoughts that I hope you find helpful.

Deimos

Does Streets & Trips include a GPS as the OP originally requested?
The software doesn't work too well without the hardware.
It comes both ways. The links I supplied are with GPS.

The software also works w/o GPS for trip planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft Streets and Trips works well, shows the tracks too. I use it on my laptop.
Be aware that you should have a CD drive to install the program. You may be able to do it with a USB flash drive but I don't know the ins and outs.

This may help installation without a CD drive.

You can order it from Amazon.com for 60.99. I swear I've seen it cheaper but I can't find anything right now.

You can get a break in price if you order the older 2008 version.

Here for $42. That's the one I use. No advantage to the 2009 version that I know of.

Go here for reviews of GPS hardware and software for laptops.
I was looking at Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 and seen that it was around my price range (well, my preferred one anyways). I have one major concern about it though. The receiver being mounted to the USB drive. I would think that it wouldn't get as good of reception as you would get as someone else mentioned something with a receiver that you could attach to the window. I would assume a receiver which attaches via USB with a cord or even something that works with Bluetooth would be best. Any comments on reception?

Thanks!

Well, as LTR is hacking away I'll ask the legal way--

What units would work good on a Mac without running crap like boot camp?

I was looking at Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 and seen that it was around my price range (well, my preferred one anyways). I have one major concern about it though. The receiver being mounted to the USB drive. I would think that it wouldn't get as good of reception as you would get as someone else mentioned something with a receiver that you could attach to the window. I would assume a receiver which attaches via USB with a cord or even something that works with Bluetooth would be best. Any comments on reception?
Thanks!
My Streets & Trips (2007 version) came with a three foot cord. It works great on the train.

My last trip was the first one that I used the netbook installed GPS. My BT-20 does have a separate GPS that is attached to the netbook via a cord (from the USB port). At first, I had it attached to the window with a suction cup - but I lost that cup on my first train. So on all others, I just held up the receiver to the window just to get a signal, then I just put it by the window in my roomette (the "lip" by the table is a great place to "hold" it). It worked great! :D

Even when I was in coach :eek: - I held it to the window to get a signal, but then just set it on the fold-out table. It worked great just sitting there! :D

Thanks!
My Streets & Trips (2007 version) came with a three foot cord. It works great on the train.
Yes mine too, acquiring a good signal was not a problem, just put the suction cup holder on a window and let 'er rip.

Additional GPS-question: my wife has a Blackberry and the built-in GPS works fine on European trains (we tested it last weekend again on the TGV to Paris), so I presume we won't have any problems using it on Amtrak? It would save us buying a seperate device for our laptop.

Hey I don't hack I have a program called CrossOver thats kind of like Parallels except you don't actually need to waste all that HDD space on a copy of windows it just emulates it for you. Not to mention its only $40. So it behaves just like windows without using up a ton of HDD space to keep XP or Vista on the machine.

Additional GPS-question: my wife has a Blackberry and the built-in GPS works fine on European trains (we tested it last weekend again on the TGV to Paris), so I presume we won't have any problems using it on Amtrak? It would save us buying a seperate device for our laptop.
I can't say that I've ever seen anyone using a Blackberry on a train to track where they are, but yes, I would assume that it should work fine most of the time over here. I do know that people with I-Phone's don't usually have problems using their GPS functions on the train.

Hey I don't hack I have a program called CrossOver thats kind of like Parallels except you don't actually need to waste all that HDD space on a copy of windows it just emulates it for you. Not to mention its only $40. So it behaves just like windows without using up a ton of HDD space to keep XP or Vista on the machine.
Just make sure that you wait until the gates are fully upright before crossing over. :lol:

Just make sure that you wait until the gates are fully upright before crossing over. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I always look both ways to.

:) :)

I'd prefer a GPS optimized or at least built for Mac without strings attached. Though that sounds like a fun program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back