Better EB timekeeping as of late.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
About a month ago we were being bombarded by numbers like "985 minutes late" or "1035 minutes late. (All into CHI from West. These times are estimates as I checked them about an hour ago but not sure if times I wrote are right on. But pretty close). As of late though, the EB has been staking up some impressive numbers, only getting into Chicago less than 2 hours late a few times this past week. Some have been a little more late, but still respectable, given the EBs crappy reputation. Hopefully this is a sign that BNSF is loosening up on some of the track work and train backups that are causing the EB to be so late. Any thoughts?

It is better, yes. So is the timekeeping westbound. Yesterday's and today's eastbound EB's are going to be very late again, but in one case and possibly both, that had to do with broken-down freights in the way. If it were me I'd still be wary of making a connection east of Chicago, but that's just me. I certainly won't tell anyone else what they should and shouldn't do. Hopefully the days of 10-12 hour (or even up to 18 hour) late EB's are a thing of the past. The EB is my "home" train; I sure hope better days are ahead for it!!! I will also be riding the EB eastbound in August, but only as far as East Glacier Park, from Seattle. I don't care how late it is then!! Cole737, I wish you the best of luck on your trip as far as making your connection.

Thanks for the reply! Well I guess I'm just being optimistic! :p Im going on to the LSL which is the only connection still "guaranteed". Notice my quotation marks. So hopefull 5 and an half hours should be enough. But worst comes to worst... A night in Chicago! Why not?! :) and what day are you riding?

I think the LSL has inherited the EB's on-time performance problem. It's been really dismal lately. 49/449 has been worse than 48/448.

I wish you both well on your trips.

I'll be taking EB to LSL in late August, so I'm also watching it closely.

I think the LSL has inherited the EB's on-time performance problem. It's been really dismal lately. 49/449 has been worse than 48/448.
Both the LSL and CL have been having serious delays between CHI and Cleveland on the NS tracks. The #49 LSL has been an average of 211 minutes and #29 CL an average of 147 minutes late into CHI over the past 4 weeks (according to amtrakdelays).

2014 is going to go down as a terrible year for LD on-time performance. Should wait a few days to get past the 4th of July long weekend work stoppage to see if the #8 EB is indeed getting less late.

On July 7th the EB into CHI was 37 minutes late. I applaud them for getting this close to on-time. :p And only July 6th the LSL was only 40 minutes late into SDY..... Hhmmmmmm :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the LSL and CL have been having serious delays between CHI and Cleveland on the NS tracks.
FWIW, most of this delay is (as usual) between Chicago and South Bend, where the "Indiana Gateway" and Englewood Flyover improvements are under construction -- although there was also a big mess caused by a derailment west of Toledo recently. I expect this to get better in 2015 when the projects should be finished. The LSL is getting seriously delayed on CSX track as well, for no readily explicable reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back