Beware of unwanted reservation changes!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Maybe some of you have encountered this situation already, but I wanted to write this post to inform people of what could happen to your reservation.

About a month ago I reserved a roomette online for #30 / c.l. The room given to me was #12 which is downstairs. I did not want a downstairs room unless it was the only roomette available. I called Amtrak and asked if a upstairs room availanle; The agent said room 10 was available for about $30 more. I took it.

About 10 days ago I noticed that the roomette price for my trip dropped to one of the lowest buckets of $142. Since my tickets were not printed yet, I called again to Amtrak and requested the room change to save me about $100. The agent refunded the difference and informed me that I was now in room 2 (fine with me!)

Now this is where it gets goofy! About a week ago I get a email out of the blue (on top of the regular emails I received for the changes I actualy requested) that confirms my reservation has been changed. After reviewing the details carefully I found that I was back in room 12 again.

I called Amtrak minutes latter after receiving the e-mail asking why my bedroom was changed. The Agent was dumbfounded and could'nt offer a reason. She changed it so I was back into room 2 again, and a email to confirm that she did change it back.

Yesterday I get ANOTHER email out of the blue that says the SAME THING; They moved me back to room #12. At this point I'm getting ticked off and again call Amtrak. I explained to the agent all the changes that I made, and the ones THEY made to the reservation. I told her it happened again, which she didnt understand either, but she was determined to find out what was going on with my reservation. After putting me on hold for a few minutes she came back and said that " they moved me from room 2 so that they could accommodate a family that wanted to be together". She switched me back to room 2 and told me that they noted special instructions on my reservation to "not touch my room assignment".

If this happens again, I'm going to tell Amtrak to let the family have there rooms together, but I want a free bedroom upgrade in exchange.

After many years and thousands and thousands of miles traveling with Amtrak, I have never encountered anything like this. I wanted to inform all of you of my story so you can keep a eye on your sleeper room asignments, especialy if you are picky on which room you are in.

Well at least there sending you a e-mail now when they change your room assignment.

It was easier to move people around when they did not release your room number.

Too bad for the family, that your not willing to give up your room. Your going to get some dirty looks from them.

I am with Amtrak, going the extra bit of a family, but I am in the minority.

What bothers me is that Amtrak obviously has my contact information and could have easily contacted me to ask how I felt about changeing rooms so they could accommadate a family. When I'm told that I will be in room 2, then I expect to be in room 2. Why should I have to go through this trouble and take a room that I don't want when I rightfully booked a certain room ??(its not like I took it from them at gun point).

I too prefer to be in an upstairs Roomette but am willing to accomidate families or groups wanting to be together as long as I know about it in advance! Ive had this happen a few times before, once it involved a Bedroom being changed from E to A which I didn't agree with at all since I wasnt informed till I boarded the Train and some guy was in my Room! :eek:

Wonder if e-ticketing will prevent this kind of messing with Reservations by Amtrak??? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am usually traveling alone when I'm in a roomette and have been switched several

times to a different room. I don't mind the switch as all roomettes are alike. I

do like room 2 on the Superliners as it is convienent to the rest room. I'm happy

to accommodate a family traveling together.

Well at least there sending you a e-mail now when they change your room assignment.

Too bad for the family, that your not willing to give up your room. Your going to get some dirty looks from them.

Sorry... I have to disagree and side with the OP. If I negotiated a specific assignment for a room. well in advance, I want to keep that assignment. First come... First served :excl:

See Post # 13 in this original thread... :ph34r:

The thing is, until this last phone call, agents didn't have any idea that he negotiated that particular room.

Since the vast majority of people don't negotiate for a specific room, Amtrak's assumption is a logical one.

Hopefully they will find someone a little less picky to move so that the family can be together. I'd certainly be annoyed if I was separated from my traveling companions because someone was too selfish to move.

Sorry... I have to disagree and side with the OP. If I negotiated a specific assignment for a room. well in advance, I want to keep that assignment. First come... First served :excl:

Here is a revenue opportunity for Amtrak :p It is leaving money on the table! They should start charging a room location negotiation fee :p A room location is certainly not guaranteed AFAICT.

More seriously, they should regularize the process of getting a specific room assignment with some level of assurance that the room will remain assigned as originally, for a fee, instead of the current ad hoc anyone's guess approach.

The thing is, until this last phone call, agents didn't have any idea that he negotiated that particular room.

Since the vast majority of people don't negotiate for a specific room, Amtrak's assumption is a logical one.

Hopefully they will find someone a little less picky to move so that the family can be together. I'd certainly be annoyed if I was separated from my traveling companions because someone was too selfish to move.
He negotiated and paid an extra $30 to get the desired room. If I paid extra to get an upstairs room and got moved back downstairs without notice, I'd be pretty annoyed. I don't consider that picky or selfish at all. I consider that a desire to get what I paid for. It would be like paying for an E+ aisle on UA and finding myself in 29E.

By the way, you are taking Amtrak's "accommodating a family" story pretty literally. Maybe they are, or maybe they have some well-connected passenger or group of passengers who pushed the right buttons to get better rooms. We've had postings here where Amtrak could not accommodate families in adjacent rooms and did not move existing assignments around for them.

In general I like to be cooperative but its the "Oh by the way" that annoys me.

I have a roomette booked for later next month. If Amtrak contacts me today telling me that my room has been changed, OK - but if I get to the train and the SCA says 'Oh by the way your room has been changed" it might wipe the smile off my face.

Come on Bill, that's ridiculous.

First off, I clearly stated that the agents didn't have any idea that he had negotiated that room. You can't expect an agent moving someone to try and accommodate a family to be omniscient and know that the OP had specifically picked that room. Now that there is a note on the reservation, I would expect that the reservation will remain unchanged.

Second, it's nothing like being moved from E+ to a non-E+ seat. On UA they are two different classes of service. Room 2 and room 12 are in the same class of service, so it's nothing like getting moved from E+ to 29E.

Finally, yes. I'm taking Amtrak's story literally. Strangely enough, I don't consider people liars unless I have a good reason to do so. Yes, agents provide varying levels of service. That doesn't make the agent in this case a liar.

if I get to the train and the SCA says 'Oh by the way your room has been changed" it might wipe the smile off my face.
Oh, that's happened to me. I didn't really care, since a roomette is pretty much a roomette to me. Now if I were moved from a bedroom to a roomette, I'd have a problem.

The first problem is that it never should have cost more to move to the upstairs roomette - the OP got an agent that didn't know what they were doing and didn't how to change rooms without pushing it to a higher bucket.

The good news is that the OP was then able to get the cheaper price on the room when the prices went down later.

I can totally see both sides of the story. However, as long as the OP can be accomodated in an upper level roomette, I would definitely agree to move for a family. The thing is, if you don't move, you will probably have lots of family members hanging out in the hallway. That will just be annoying. It is probably going to be a more enjoyable ride, overall, to just switch. That is just my $0.02.

I guess as annoyed as I'd be if I were told my room was switched unbeknownst to me because "a family wanted to be together." All due respect, Ryan :hi: but where does it say that people in one scenario are "more entitled" than the other?

I realize, it seems "selfish" of me, but please take a look from my perspective. I've been a "solitary traveler" all my life. And all throughout my travels, I've faced a very subtle but persistent bias against the "solitary traveler" from the travel/hospitality industry. This is manifest primarily in re: accommodation assignments, with couples or families getting the choicest assignments (i.e. hotel rooms on the highest floor with the best view, or similar assignments with restaurant tables, etc.). In fact, in many of these cases, "First come... First Served" doesn't even apply! Spaces will be "pre-assigned" with preference to the couple/family. It happens all the time in luxury hotels and restaurants that have sufficient demand and can afford (and have the ability) to discriminate.

Example: Dining room at the El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon Natl. Pk. Of course, everyone wants a "canyon view" window seat. What do they do? First, they lay out the floor such that only "tables for 4" are on the canyon window side. And even if you get there real early before anyone else, (I made three reservations for dinner at 5:00p before anyone and requested a canyon view table), it doesn't matter. Upon arrival the 1st night, the manager told me he had cancelled my resv. and put me in a table for two near the serving island! When I asked why, all he said was, "I just can't seat you there." Apparently, those tables were reserved for "couples or families," even though they were totally empty (none *were* actually reserved), and I could have been in/out before they filled up. And the kicker is, when most couples/families come to eat, do they spend most of the time staring out the window? Of course not! They're chatting with each other! At least the solitary guest would actually enjoy the view more! Anyway, I refused the table, cancelled the other reservations and ate a vending machine dinner that evening. Never-mind the little cracker box room on the "opposite" side of the hotel I got to stay in.... :angry:

I can tell you many other war stories in this regard. Point being, "selfishness" works both ways. In the above case, the selfishness of the restauranteur in re: potentially maximizing his profits. He could have put 1-2 tables for two against those windows. But that would not have been "profitable."

The only real fair way to resolve it is to say, "First come... First Served." If families want to be together, they should reserve ASAP. Now, like our dining room manager, Amtrak is certainly free to manage their trains and room assignments as they see fit. It's their train. But I can tell you that the first time I'm bumped from a room assignment without my consent (especially one I negotiated) will be the last time.

PS. Needless to say, I no longer frequent those luxury hotels/restaurants anymore. Both for financial reasons, and for those stated above. As long as it's clean, safe and functional, I'm fine. :)

I have to agree with OP amtrakmichigan. He stated that he would be amenable to work with Amtrak if they notified him and asked. It has nothing to do with the fact that he wanted to move upstairs (although paying extra for it means they had no right to move him downstairs). but the fact that Amtrak shouldn't arbitrarily move people without their agreement. Same as on a plane. You wait until the last minute and you might not have seats together. You can ask but that is not the same as forcibly changing someone. Moreover, moving between upstairs and downstairs should not be involuntarily done

On the TGV from Paris on a business trip 20 years ago, we couldn't get seats together so when we boarded, we asked the seat occupier next to my wife if he would change with me. He did. On the return train (I was alone as I was there on business and my wife had returned early), I was asked to change seats by a couple and I willingly did so. Interestingly enough, in neither case did the other person know English nor I French but the combination of gestures and translation assistance by nearby passengers made it clear what was being asked. However, any time someone simply takes my seat because they expect me to accommodate them do I allow it. I expect them to acknowledge that they got a favor and it is not their right.

If Amtrak is unwilling to call customers to ask if they will switch, then they need to tell the requesting customer that they will have to check with the SCA to see if someone is willing to change. We moved from one roomette to another when asked by the SCA and we willingly did so but we were asked, not pushed to do so. Switching people leads to dumping on passengers to accommodate friends and "VIPs" and should be prohibited without permission.

Come on Bill, that's ridiculous.

First off, I clearly stated that the agents didn't have any idea that he had negotiated that room. You can't expect an agent moving someone to try and accommodate a family to be omniscient and know that the OP had specifically picked that room. Now that there is a note on the reservation, I would expect that the reservation will remain unchanged.

Second, it's nothing like being moved from E+ to a non-E+ seat. On UA they are two different classes of service. Room 2 and room 12 are in the same class of service, so it's nothing like getting moved from E+ to 29E.

Finally, yes. I'm taking Amtrak's story literally. Strangely enough, I don't consider people liars unless I have a good reason to do so. Yes, agents provide varying levels of service. That doesn't make the agent in this case a liar.
How can you say that the Amtrak agents did not know he negotiated the better room. He did the negotiation with an Amtrak agent. The agent that made the change and charged him the extra fare for the better room sure knew about it. Why wouldn't that agent have noted that in his PNR? If they didn't, then who's fault is that? The OP's. Was he supposed to tell the agent how to do their job. And, since you did not like my UA analogy, how about a US analogy - choice seats. Pay an extra $30 for a choice seat, say 8C, and find yourself in 29E. Same class, extra fare for a better seat.

Sorry: the Amtrak story does not pass the smell test. Considering that we just has a posting here that had a family booked on the Auto Train in Rooms A and N and Amtrak would not consider moving anyone to put them together, Amtrak's story in this case is suspect. I'm not saying the agent who told the OP the family story is a liar. I simply suspect that at some point in the chain of actions someone is being less then entirely truthful. Regardless, I also am very reluctant to call someone "selfish" for simply wanting to get what they paid for.

Here is a revenue opportunity for Amtrak :p It is leaving money on the table! They should start charging a room location negotiation fee :p A room location is certainly not guaranteed AFAICT.

More seriously, they should regularize the process of getting a specific room assignment with some level of assurance that the room will remain assigned as originally, for a fee, instead of the current ad hoc anyone's guess approach.
To be honest, if it came to that, I'd be willing to pay extra for that guarantee, depending on "how much extra." :p

But this entire thread got my interest up, so I just called Amtrak customer service. According to the CSA to which I spoke, Amtrak's official policy is not to change rooms already assigned to a customer in favor of another. The SCA can "request" a change from a customer at boarding time, but the original recipient is not obliged to change. Is that what happens in practice? Not sure.... But that's what this CSA said...

Arnold, if there is a meaningful difference like the canyon table, I agree. That sucks. But the difference between room 2 and room 12 isn't really worth inconveniencing a traveling family in my mind. Obviously other people's opinions vary.

How can you say that the Amtrak agents did not know he negotiated the better room.
Because there is more than one Amtrak agent? Is it mandated that agents put every detail of a transaction in the notes? Perhaps he should have, but you can't blame an agent for not following a policy that doesn't exist.

And, since you did not like my UA analogy, how about a US analogy - choice seats. Pay an extra $30 for a choice seat, say 8C, and find yourself in 29E. Same class, extra fare for a better seat.
It's not that I didn't like it, it's that it was wrong. This one is too, since as Amamba pointed out there shouldn't have been an extra charge if the original agent had done their job properly.

Sorry: the Amtrak story does not pass the smell test. Considering that we just has a posting here that had a family booked on the Auto Train in Rooms A and N and Amtrak would not consider moving anyone to put them together, Amtrak's story in this case is suspect. I'm not saying the agent who told the OP the family story is a liar. I simply suspect that at some point in the chain of actions someone is being less then entirely truthful.
Come on, you know how inconstant Amtrak can be. There's no way you can take a single data point and use that to justify calling someone a liar.

Regardless, I also am very reluctant to call someone "selfish" for simply wanting to get what they paid for.
And again, if Amtrak had a program where you could pay extra for a choice seat (or room), you'd have a point. But they don't, and the fact that the original agent screwed up doesn't make the OP entitled to preferential treatment. The OP paid for a roomette on a particular train and was never in danger of not getting a roomette somewhere on that train.

The thing is, if you don't move, you will probably have lots of family members hanging out in the hallway.
Not a problem for me... That's happened to me on airlines before. Again see that original thread. :D

Two can play that game! Trust me, I can "stand my ground" out in that hallway. :ph34r: Well, maybe not

in a "Florida" sort of way... but... :D

Wow. I never cease to be amazed at the demands by folks. Upper vs Lower, I can understand. MAYBE end vs Middle, but much less so. Quite frankly, Amtrak DOES NOT RESERVE INDIVIDUAL ROOMS. When I worked at Disney and sold hotel rooms, we graciously accepted requests, but absolutely made it clear that within a category of room, there were better rooms than others. Requests were always considered; never guaranteed. Now, Amtrak has an issue if they are actually blocking different roomettes or bedrooms at different buckets. The buckets should be based on the total availability on any given train, and prices should be based on however many are left vs time to departure algorithm.

Now, when a ticket is issued, reassigning a room should cease, with an exception made on the train when boarding at the consent of the passenger. But until that point, a particular room and car number should be able to be requested, but NEVER guaranteed under the system we have today - except when children are involved. We always guaranteed connecting rooms (when requested) if there was a scenario where there could be only children in just one room (ie: 4 adults, 4 kids, yes; 5 adults, 3 kids, no). It's not necessarily fair to blame a family for only booking their vacation 10 months in advance just because a couple of individuals picked rooms 11 months in advance. Families should always trump the lone traveler. Sorry - you get the same scenery and arrive at the same time. Anything else is superficial.

Unfortunately, Amtrak has opened the gates to dissatisfied customers by raising expectations beyond their ability to deliver.

Wow. I never cease to be amazed at the demands by folks. Upper vs Lower, I can understand. MAYBE end vs Middle, but much less so. Quite frankly, Amtrak DOES NOT RESERVE INDIVIDUAL ROOMS. When I worked at Disney and sold hotel rooms, we graciously accepted requests, but absolutely made it clear that within a category of room, there were better rooms than others. Requests were always considered; never guaranteed. Now, Amtrak has an issue if they are actually blocking different roomettes or bedrooms at different buckets. The buckets should be based on the total availability on any given train, and prices should be based on however many are left vs time to departure algorithm.

Now, when a ticket is issued, reassigning a room should cease, with an exception made on the train when boarding at the consent of the passenger. But until that point, a particular room and car number should be able to be requested, but NEVER guaranteed under the system we have today - except when children are involved. We always guaranteed connecting rooms (when requested) if there was a scenario where there could be only children in just one room (ie: 4 adults, 4 kids, yes; 5 adults, 3 kids, no). It's not necessarily fair to blame a family for only booking their vacation 10 months in advance just because a couple of individuals picked rooms 11 months in advance. Families should always trump the lone traveler. Sorry - you get the same scenery and arrive at the same time. Anything else is superficial.

Unfortunately, Amtrak has opened the gates to dissatisfied customers by raising expectations beyond their ability to deliver.
Seems to me, you could just have your tickets printed and mailed (or print them at home with the E-ticketing thing). By not printing them, so you can change things up later playing the game, you, in my opinion, stand to take a little risk in that they move you around a bit to accomodate a group. That seems fair to me. Can't have it both ways....

Well, he was assigned #12 first.

And from what I read, no matter what he was able to "negotiate", he kept being put back where he started, #12.

I am not that sure that this family wasn't first all along (there was a hold on #2 for them?). That's why he was assigned #12, and whenever the OP attempted to muscle into the middle of that family, he was sent right back to his room, #12. :giggle:

Well, he was assigned #12 first.

And from what I read, no matter what he was able to "negotiate", he kept being put back where he started, #12.

I am not that sure that this family wasn't first all along (there was a hold on #2 for them?). That's why he was assigned #12, and whenever the OP attempted to muscle into the middle of that family, he was sent right back to his room, #12. :giggle:
He didn't request #2, he was assigned that room after he called to get the lower rate (after he had been reassigned to #10 when he requested an upstairs room). I don't know why they just didn't keep him in #10 at the lower rate.

Wow. I never cease to be amazed at the demands by folks. Upper vs Lower, I can understand. MAYBE end vs Middle, but much less so. Quite frankly, Amtrak DOES NOT RESERVE INDIVIDUAL ROOMS.
Not saying they do. When I make reservations, I initially get whatever the computer assigns me. If need be, I then call to see if something I'd prefer is available. If so, then great... I switch. If not, then it's my tough luck.

When I worked at Disney and sold hotel rooms, we graciously accepted requests, but absolutely made it clear that within a category of room, there were better rooms than others. Requests were always considered; never guaranteed.
And did you "pre-reserve" the "better rooms than others" within that category for couples/families or those willing to pay more (i.e. the rack rate)? I definitely would have an issue with that, having been the victim of it many times. In fact, once, I got bumped out of the category (for an inferior one), even though I paid for that category. But that's another war story I'll be happy to tell you about later...

Now, Amtrak has an issue if they are actually blocking different roomettes or bedrooms at different buckets. The buckets should be based on the total availability on any given train, and prices should be based on however many are left vs time to departure algorithm.
I don't think they are "blocking" different rooms on different buckets. I do think the rooms are subject to bucket fluctuations, as are general fares, but I think all rooms are available for assignment whenever made.

Now, when a ticket is issued, reassigning a room should cease, with an exception made on the train when boarding at the consent of the passenger. But until that point, a particular room and car number should be able to be requested,
I'm actually with you, up to this point... :) And in the case of the AT (which I frequent most), they have been eTicketing for some time, so the room assignment is almost immediately at booking.

but NEVER guaranteed under the system we have today - except when children are involved. We always guaranteed connecting rooms (when requested) if there was a scenario where there could be only children in just one room (ie: 4 adults, 4 kids, yes; 5 adults, 3 kids, no). It's not necessarily fair to blame a family for only booking their vacation 10 months in advance just because a couple of individuals picked rooms 11 months in advance. Families should always trump the lone traveler.
Sorry, but here's where I must disagree. Would you mind telling me *why* you believe "families should always trump the lone traveler?" And where (either in law or Amtrak policy) it says they can? I didn't make the choices for those families. They chose their life on their own. They chose to have children on their own. They chose to ride the train on their own... They made their choices, as did I. They should be subject to the exact same policies/procedures as I. If there are sufficient accommodations to honor everyone's requests, then great. Otherwise, First come... First served. It's the only fair way.

Sorry - you get the same scenery and arrive at the same time. Anything else is superficial.
Sorry... but no :excl: Same scenery and same time, perhaps, but not necessarily "same comfort!" There are legitimate reasons why I'm so "picky" when it comes to Amtrak rooms... Medical reasons.... I'd be happy to tell you them via PM.

Dissatisfaction, like other things, works both ways.

if I get to the train and the SCA says 'Oh by the way your room has been changed" it might wipe the smile off my face.
Oh, that's happened to me. I didn't really care, since a roomette is pretty much a roomette to me. Now if I were moved from a bedroom to a roomette, I'd have a problem.
I tend to be in the same vein...I've been moved around once or twice, usually to accommodate funky situations on the western trains, but also because an SCA accommodated a request on-board (such as getting a family together), With that said, for me a roomette is a roomette is a roomette.

A pick-your-roomette fee wouldn't be the worst idea known to man, provided that they could guarantee which side of the train you'd be on. I'd probably pass on it, considering the more-or-less equal nature of rooms, but I suspect it would be reasonably popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back