Beware of unwanted reservation changes!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm back home from my trip now, and I thought that maybe some of you would like to know how my roomette situation turned out.

My tickets were printed and handed to me by the Agent in Dearborn, Mi. The ticket was printed correctly which was room #2 in 3001. When greeted by our sleeper attendent in TOL, one of the first things he said was "I had to move you from #2 to #5 because the bed was broke in #2". Long story short, room #2 sat empty the entire trip except for a few towell bags that the attendent was storing. I really dont think his story added up since it apeared that he wanted the supplies as close as possible to his room (#1). Anyway... At least I wasn't moved downstairs.

Maybe some of you have encountered this situation already, but I wanted to write this post to inform people of what could happen to your reservation.

The agent said room 10 was available for about $30 more.
That doesn't make sense. I always want the bottom floor, and it costs sometimes 50-100 dollars more expensive to change from top to bottom........I don't get it, they should be GIVING you that 30 bucks.

Maybe some of you have encountered this situation already, but I wanted to write this post to inform people of what could happen to your reservation.

That doesn't make sense. I always want the bottom floor, and it costs sometimes 50-100 dollars more expensive to change from top to bottom........I don't get it, they should be GIVING you that 30 bucks.
Many phone agents will let you change roomettes for no charge. If they want to charge you, call back later and the next person might be willing. I never pay for a room change.

Many phone agents will let you change roomettes for no charge. If they want to charge you, call back later and the next person might be willing. I never pay for a room change.
There should be no charge to change rooms. If they are trying to charge you for it, they don't know how to do it properly. Politely thank them and call back until you get someone who can do it for you without a fee.

Arnold, if there is a meaningful difference like the canyon table, I agree. That sucks. But the difference between room 2 and room 12 isn't really worth inconveniencing a traveling family in my mind. Obviously other people's opinions vary.
Your opinion is simply wrong.

I'll give another example. My fiancee has moderate arthritis and has a lot of trouble with stairs. But she likes to eat in the dining car and use the lounge car. Accordingly, we make a point of getting upstairs roomettes, so that she can walk up the stairs ONCE and walk back down them ONCE, and just stay on the top level the rest of the time. If we were in a downstairs roomette, she'd just have to forego going to the dining car or the lounge car. (I know the attendants will, theoretically, bring you your meals in the lower level.)

Being switched between the upper and lower level is a severe service quality change. Now, the difference between roomette 2 and roomette 3? Probably few would care. But *lots* of people see a *large* difference between upper level and lower level roomettes.

Arnold, if there is a meaningful difference like the canyon table, I agree. That sucks. But the difference between room 2 and room 12 isn't really worth inconveniencing a traveling family in my mind. Obviously other people's opinions vary.

I'll give another example. My fiancee has moderate arthritis and has a lot of trouble with stairs. But she likes to eat in the dining car and use the lounge car. Accordingly, we make a point of getting upstairs roomettes, so that she can walk up the stairs ONCE and walk back down them ONCE, and just stay on the top level the rest of the time. If we were in a downstairs roomette, she'd just have to forego going to the dining car or the lounge car. (I know the attendants will, theoretically, bring you your meals in the lower level.)

Being switched between the upper and lower level is a severe service quality change. Now, the difference between roomette 2 and roomette 3? Probably few would care. But *lots* of people see a *large* difference between upper level and lower level roomettes.
I agree that for someone with limited mobility, there is a big difference. My wife has problems climbing stairs albeit, she can do it slowly. Having to repeatedly go up and down stairs would be an issue but doing it once is something she can tolerate.

For your fiancee, there is a major difference.
For the vast majority of Americans, I'm still right.

Can an opinion actually ever be wrong? Perhaps the premise, but isn't an opinion by definition subjective?

I didn't know Acela turned. I thought same seats always face same direction. How is that possible, or even necessary?
Acela turns the seats more than any other train around; at least in the US. In DC the set itself is never wyed, same in Boston too. They just pull in, clean the train, turn the seats that can be turned, load up and go the other direction. Yes, all that occurs over the course of like 2 or 3 hours. And with regard to the "seat that can be turned" comment, seats at tables cannot be turned, they are fixed. All other seat pairs are turned, as well as some of the singles in FC.

For trains that terminate in NY, all sets are run out to Sunnyside first, where they automatically go around the loop track and negate the need to turn the seats. That trip around the loop is also why one can never predict if the FC car will be at the front or rear of any given run.
I did, indeed, state that incorrectly. I didn't truly presume that folks would travel backwards from BOS to DC. I figured that they turned the SEATS. I meant to state that I thought the TRAIN faced the same direction regardless of travel. Interesting note about the loop. Wonder why they do that.

On the Shinkansen, the order of the cars are ALWAYS oriented towards the bigger of the terminals - usually Tokyo. This is important as the stations have permanent signs directing people to their train car so they can line up at the right spot before the train arrives, reducing boarding time - a pretty important feature when you try to load/unload 16 cars in 30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, indeed, state that incorrectly. I didn't truly presume that folks would travel backwards from BOS to DC. I figured that they turned the SEATS. I meant to state that I thought the TRAIN faced the same direction regardless of travel. Interesting note about the loop. Wonder why they do that.
If they really wanted to keep the sets oriented the same way they could. There is track connectivity available to move trains into Sunnyside without going around the loop. However something being totally consistent may be such a culture shock at Amtrak that it would be considered almost like an unnatural act :) :lol:

More seriously, with current track layout there are more potential conflicts to take a train into Sunnyside without taking it around the loop. The conflicts will be reduced some with the changes being made to Harold. In any case the number of such moves needed is relatively small, since (a) there are not that huge a number of Acelas anyway, and (b) even fewer of them terminate in NYP.

On the Shinkansen, the order of the cars are ALWAYS oriented towards the bigger of the terminals - usually Tokyo. This is important as the stations have permanent signs directing people to their train car so they can line up at the right spot before the train arrives, reducing boarding time - a pretty important feature when you try to load/unload 16 cars in 30 seconds.
Indeed! But seriously loading/unloading in 30 secs itself would be an unnatural act too :lol:

More seriously in a six car train with only two cars with special properties (First Class, and Quiet Car) I suppose a consistent announcement about their location in the consist a few minutes before the train's arrival should suffice since it does not take that long to walk 4 car lengths.

Last edited by a moderator:

For your fiancee, there is a major difference.
For the vast majority of Americans, I'm still right.
You do not speak for me and do not pretend to. I have definate preferences in roomette placement, and do not want my confirmed space changed without my consent.

Just throwing in my opinion....

I love Superliners but the downstairs is ugly and utilitarian.

The lower level seating area is absolutely depressing looking - always reminds me of steerage.

I would never willingly sit down there.

I can't imagine how the roomettes near the bathrooms, baggage area, doors, and family bedroom could even be comparable, ambiance-wise, to the upper level.

The roomettes may be physically the same but the overall experience, imo, would be seriously lacking.

My CONO reservations (made 8 months in advance) are for the upper level, #2 and #5 and that's what I expect to be in.

The lower level would be unacceptable and I wouldn't willingly exchange for a lower level roomette for anyone, call me selfish - too bad.

If they really wanted to keep the sets oriented the same way they could. There is track connectivity available to move trains into Sunnyside without going around the loop. However something being totally consistent may be such a culture shock at Amtrak that it would be considered almost like an unnatural act :) :lol:

More seriously, with current track layout there are more potential conflicts to take a train into Sunnyside without taking it around the loop. The conflicts will be reduced some with the changes being made to Harold. In any case the number of such moves needed is relatively small, since (a) there are not that huge a number of Acelas anyway, and (b) even fewer of them terminate in NYP.
I admit up front that I'm posting this from the Auto Train on my way home, and therefore don't have access to my track maps. But that said;

As I recall, the only other way into Sunnyside yard other than the loop, is to wrong rail in the normally inbound line 2 or 4 tunnels. One cannot get from the normal outbound line 1 & 3 tunnels to Sunnyside without either using the loop track or making at least 1 and maybe 2 backup moves. By the time the normally outbound line 1 & 3 tunnels pop up to the surface they are past any connection to the yard leads from the yard to the line 2 & 4 tunnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back