BFX and NYP Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madzoo

Train Attendant
Everyone here is so helpful when I have questions that I'm back with more.

Weather permitting, I'm going to head out to Buffalo in a few weeks to have a look at some of the downtown architecture. Then I plan to briefly visit NYC just to have a look around and decide if I want to take a longer trip there in the future. I'd be leaving Buffalo from the Exchange Street station. Is there more than one track there? I'm guessing that all I need to do is stand outside the station and get on the train when it comes.

I'm more concerned about NYP. I've been reading some past threads, and it seems I will have a bit of an adventure there. I have a roomette booked back to Chicago. Is it OK to hang out in Club Acela until the boarding announcement, or am I better off coming out by the sign? Also, are there escalators down to the tracks or just stairs?

Bonus question. Has anyone taken the 40 bus from downtown to the falls? I'm wondering what it's like.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only question I can answer is about the way down to the tracks at NYP, as I don't tend to take LD trains from there. There are escalators down from the main level.

I don't think it's an adventure, really, it can just be a bit of a zoo, and it's probably somewhat confusing the first time. :)

Yes, you may hang out in the Club Acela with a sleeper ticket. There is no advantage of standing in the main concourse looking up at the departure board. There are departure monitors in the Club Acela which can be viewed from comfy chairs. Also, your train will be announced in the Acela Club and you will be led to the correct escalator by a guide.(or Red Cap if requested)

Buffalo is a very interesting city to visit, be sure and visit City Hall and go to the top for the view of the Metro Area including Canada! And check out the Anchor Bar, the place that claims they had the first Buffalo Wings?? Get there early,always a line!

The Small Exchange Street Station is manned 6:15am-4pm and the agent there is very friendly, they'll let you store your luggage free ( a tip would be nice) while you sight see and have lunch!

As for NYP,( which can Bea maze to those not familiar with it) you can board your Train from the Club Acela, they announce it and lead you to the escelator or elevator (if needed) but I'd recommend you have a Red Cap take you to your train, you'll beat the thundering hurd to the platform.

I'll let others answer the bus to/from Niagara Falls question, I've only ridden the train there!

If you have a roomette, the Club Acela is the way to go. Have a red cap pre board you, for a few dollars gratuity, it will allay all fears. When you check in at the desk, let the receptionist know you would like the red cap. You will have no problems........Only did downtown Buffalo once, I'm usually off/on at Depew, I just don't remember the station config.

Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful. I'm definitely planning a trip to City Hall. I want to try and catch one of their noon tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back