Biden and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The old lie: Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori.
Or, even better:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimum pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.
:rolleyes: yEA rIGHT and "E Pluribus Unum" too!!! I don't know what most of those words mean, but they look and sound appitizing!

I took french, not latin... and I can't speak french either! 8)
"It is sweet to die for the homeland, but it is sweeter to live for the homeland, and the sweetest to drink for it. Therefore, let us drink to the health of the homeland." It was a frequent 19th century students' toast.

The old lie: Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori.
Or, even better:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimum pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.
:rolleyes: yEA rIGHT and "E Pluribus Unum" too!!! I don't know what most of those words mean, but they look and sound appitizing!

I took french, not latin... and I can't speak french either! 8)
"It is sweet to die for the homeland, but it is sweeter to live for the homeland, and the sweetest to drink for it. Therefore, let us drink to the health of the homeland." It was a frequent 19th century students' toast.
Thank you for the interpertation. I guess that college priorities back in the 19 century are the same as they are today:

1. BEER
  2. BEER
  3. EVERYTHING ELSE!
______ :rolleyes: ______

Railroads are good but as the ****s discovered, they can be used for evil purposes. So, guys, get it in perspective. Get the right guy in the office and then use the power of the pen to get Amtrak permanently funded.
Wow. I've been without internet for a few days until this morning, and read through the other politics thread on this forum before this one. I was already dismayed with the entire forum by that point, but as I already had tabs open for several other threads including this one I figured I'd skim through them. Big mistake, I guess.

I never thought I'd see a thread ON AN AMTRAK DISCUSSION BOARD hit Godwin's Law. ("As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving ****s or Hitler approaches one.")

Poster above, I'm not singling you out or blaming you specifically; I'm pretty much saddened by everyone, whose combined behavior built up to this--even the people whose arguments I agree with (of whom there are many).

Yes, there are many, many non-political threads here, and I could pretty easily ignore forum threads with anything political in the subject line. Henceforth, I will--don't take my inactivity as an indicator that I don't have opinions on the matter, but merely that I have no interest in discussing them here any further, or reading any more of y'alls. Everyone's entitled to their views, and regardless of whether I agree with them I defend your right to hold and express those views; but frankly, at this point I know all of your views, and reading them for a sixth time won't enrich my life.

What I'm really worried about is the LA Gathering: in-person conversations are rarely segregated with clearly-identifiable (and avoidable) subject lines, and a month before a major election, pretty much any conversation could devolve into a powder keg like this. Also, in-person gatherings don't really have "moderators" in the same way that the online forum does. I think many of us will find that political debate as we've seen here dampens or ruins a weekend we've looked forward to for months and put a lot of care and planning into. (Well, ok, maybe folks who were big into debate in high school or college would enjoy those powder kegs, but seriously, I think that would ruin the Gathering for a lot of us.)

Is this avoidable? I offer that an open question for everyone here to consider, as my final thought on this matter.

[if this thought has already been expressed and addressed by others, my apologies--I stopped reading this thread entirely with the post I quoted above, with several pages left unread.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really my place to comment on another countries elections, but I will say this. To those who rave about "service" and "sacrifice" for your country, do you think that keep on sending your young men and women to die for a war that is at best morally dubious, at worst illegal and a war crime is a good thing? Iraq has dragged on longer than WW2, with no real end in sight.If people chose to make that service and sacrifice then surely it is the Governments responsibility to only use that when absolutely necessary and not to throw it away for cheap political purposes. The only glorious victory you can hope to achieve is to go home in dignity. Sometimes it is ok to admit you were wrong and you mad a mistake rather than keep on the same old, same old.
Neil, I wish the war were as simple as you make it to be. But it isn't and there's no way to address (once again) your thoughts on this forum.
War is generally a few idiots not being able to back down and everyone else getting to do the dirty work.

The war in Iraq is very simple. Its based around lies, oil, mistruths and finishing off daddy's unfinished business.

How long do you consider it necessary to keep sending your young men and women to a grim death for no real reason and no real end in sight?

Do you need a President who wants to keep on giving people democracy at the point of a gun? Another 4 more years of endless deaths? Did you see those Germans cheering Mr Obama? What would they have done if GWB had turned up? Wouldn't it be nice for America to be liked again? Or are you happy for the 'land of the free' to be associated with orange jump suits, captivity without trial and illegal invasions of countries that might have oil and whose political system or leader don't fit the bill?

There are other ways to deal with people, and it is acceptable for other people to not want to be a satellite state of the US and you don't have to kill them for that. Other points of view are available (and acceptable).

If you wanted to be really way out, you could stop giving the military money for a month and spend it on something more positive instead! :ph34r:

Religion and politicis are two subjects guaranteed to cause friction. I was, personally, absolutely disgusted with politics after the very divisive 2004 election. Especially by the bloggers who started their spiel on the "stupidity" of anyone who didn't vote their way. To me what's stupid is calling someone else stupid. If I want someone to at least consider my position on something, insulting them seems to me to be the LEAST effective way to accomplish this.

I, too, have my definite opinions on all things political, but, especially after the last election, for the most part keep them to myself. Gutless??? Perhaps. Spineless???? Maybe. I just don't care to be skewered just because of what I believe. Therefore, for the most part, I shut up.

The war in Iraq is very simple. Its based around lies, oil, mistruths and finishing off daddy's unfinished business.
Ok, I've remained largely silent in this discussion so far, but I can't let that one pass unchallenged. Jr. is not finishing off Daddy's unfinished business. Daddy, unlike Jr., actually understood the rules of international policy. George Bush Sr. was asked by the UN to free a sovereign country, Kuwait, which had asked the UN for help after the illegal invasion of their country by Iraq. Bush Sr. responded with American troops in Desert Storm, and with the support of most of the world, including many Arab countries. In fact, Saudi Arabia allowed us to stage troops there to prepare for Desert Storm.

Bush Sr. did exactly what the UN asked us to do, free Kuwait. He got to the border of Iraq, and he stopped at that border because he knew that he had not been asked to invade Iraq or to deal with Saddam. Bush Sr. did the right thing under International law and the charter of the UN. He was pretty soundly criticized in this country and in fact I believe that it was one of two factors that cost him reelection to a second term. But again, I stress that he did the right thing!

George Bush Jr. however failed to learn from daddy. He stood up in front of the world and in effect told Saddam "You had better obey the UN and allow the search teams in or I'm going to do an end run around the UN (by not asking for permission that he knew he wouldn't get) and force you to comply with the UN's resolutions.” He went in without a UN mandate, without the support of the UN, without permission from the UN, without the support of 90% of the free world and of course without any support from the non-free world. The invasion of Iraq in a word was, illegal, under International law and the UN Charter that the US helped to draft.

Why Jr. failed to learn from Sr. may well be a source of debate for years to come, but he did.

And I'm not saying that Saddam wasn't a problem, the man was a tyrant and a murderer. I've no doubt that eventually we would have needed to go in. But the US can't be the world's policeman, if we're not going to follow the collective will of the world. The US can’t expect the rest of the world to obey the UN, if the US is going to thumb its nose at the UN.

So now, sadly, with each passing day good men and women in our armed services loose their lives in Iraq. These people are paying the ultimate sacrifice in a war that shouldn’t have happened, or at least it shouldn’t have happened in the manner that it did. I mourn that loss of life each day and have nothing but praise for those still over there fighting and making sacrifices in many different ways, not just with their lives.

Back to the original topic at hand - the Washington Post has a great piece on Biden and Amtrak today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8082603569.html

Including a quote which gave me a good laugh:

Most often in recent years, Biden has taken the No. 2103, which leaves Wilmington at 7:35 a.m. and pulls into Union Station -- barring delays -- at 8:55 a.m. (Amtrak has become a recurring character in the hearings Biden participates in. "Gentlemen, I apologize," he told a Judiciary Committee hearing in 1996 when he showed up late. "One of those things that I keep telling my colleagues: If they fully funded Amtrak, I would not be late. [Pause.] And some suggest that's why they don't fully fund Amtrak.")

Ok, I've remained largely silent in this discussion so far, but I can't let that one pass unchallenged. Jr. is not finishing off Daddy's unfinished business. Daddy, unlike Jr., actually understood the rules of international policy. George Bush Sr. was asked by the UN to free a sovereign country, Kuwait, which had asked the UN for help after the illegal invasion of their country by Iraq. Bush Sr. responded with American troops in Desert Storm, and with the support of most of the world, including many Arab countries. In fact, Saudi Arabia allowed us to stage troops there to prepare for Desert Storm.

Bush Sr. did exactly what the UN asked us to do, free Kuwait. He got to the border of Iraq, and he stopped at that border because he knew that he had not been asked to invade Iraq or to deal with Saddam. Bush Sr. did the right thing under International law and the charter of the UN. He was pretty soundly criticized in this country and in fact I believe that it was one of two factors that cost him reelection to a second term. But again, I stress that he did the right thing!

George Bush Jr. however failed to learn from daddy. He stood up in front of the world and in effect told Saddam "You had better obey the UN and allow the search teams in or I'm going to do an end run around the UN (by not asking for permission that he knew he wouldn't get) and force you to comply with the UN's resolutions." He went in without a UN mandate, without the support of the UN, without permission from the UN, without the support of 90% of the free world and of course without any support from the non-free world. The invasion of Iraq in a word was, illegal, under International law and the UN Charter that the US helped to draft.

Why Jr. failed to learn from Sr. may well be a source of debate for years to come, but he did.

And I'm not saying that Saddam wasn't a problem, the man was a tyrant and a murderer. I've no doubt that eventually we would have needed to go in. But the US can't be the world's policeman, if we're not going to follow the collective will of the world. The US can't expect the rest of the world to obey the UN, if the US is going to thumb its nose at the UN.

So now, sadly, with each passing day good men and women in our armed services loose their lives in Iraq. These people are paying the ultimate sacrifice in a war that shouldn't have happened, or at least it shouldn't have happened in the manner that it did. I mourn that loss of life each day and have nothing but praise for those still over there fighting and making sacrifices in many different ways, not just with their lives.
Alan,

Your presentation is quite elequent, some of it I agree with, some I don't but I want to thank you for challenging the mistruths that have been propgated here. There are some points however that I too want to make, one of which is frequently ignored by opponents of the war, one of a frequently presented mistruth and the other that is never brought up that I'm aware of. They are:

1. There were 10 years and 17, yes 17 ignored resolutions passed by the UN. It was also very apparent to the world that the UN was a weak impotent body that was only good for pushing paper (a paper tiger if you will) and a body that would in all likelyhood never have acted even if there were as many as 100 resolutions. And why? Because there were nations, like Russia for instance, on the security council that would have never ever jeapordized the lucrative business arrangements they had with Iraq and many other nations that are not our friends.

Now talking and negotiatin is first and foremost the way to go, but there also has to be a point that you have to do more than talk and keep issuing meaningless resolutions until the cows come home. Simply put, when is enough enough? 20 years? 50 years? 100 years?

Look at it this way, if you (US) and a group of acquaintances (nations of the world) are walking down the street and the neighborhood bully (Iraq) who has been harrasing and hurting one of your aquaintances suddenly starts beating him mercylessly, would you and the other neighborhood aquaintences just stand around and do nothing to help defend that person because most of the other aquintences just stand there afraid to do anything, or would you have the courage to take the lead to try and help him even if no one or few follow to help? If you say of course you would jump in, then you are doing exactly what George W. Bush had the courage to do!
  2. And forget about the weapons of mass destructions issue. It hasen't been proved that Bush had intellegence that differed from what the rest of the congress had when they decided to support Bush's actions! It's NOT A LIE when you find out after the fact that something was not as you thought it was no matter how much political opponants what you to believe otherwise! And don't even bring up that he made mistakes afterward! I'll answer that one right here up front... yes he did make mistakes, but he is only human like everyone else. He is after all our president and as such he is subject to criticisms - truthful criticisms. However, our president should alsos be supported by his country and not be undermined like he was for the sake of partisan politics.
  3. This last item is something that makes me wonder why no one ever talks about it. Following Desert Storm's defeat of the Iraq army following the invasion into Kuwait, a no fly zone was established in the southern area of the country to protect Kuwait and possibly Saudi Arabia from future attacks. It wasn't long before Sadam starting thumbing his nose at and taunting the US who was officially the air guardian of the no fly zone. The violations kept getting more frequent and more daring and the previous president as best as I know did little about it. Then Comes George W, followed by 9-11 and way too many UN resolutions and you know the rest. So again I say, when is enough enough?
Now as someone previously told me, "I'm not going to change anyones mind," but I do believe that some people who do maintain an open mind and can change their opinions, and that there are some people who have made up their minds no matter what, and there are also some people who would like to see speach suppressed when facts and opinions that differ from their own are presented. (dont confuse this last statement with my previous request to close this topic. That request was made because it was becoming apparant that I was being singled out along with one other person because our political beliefs differered from the other two posters involved)

Again thank you for providing me a reason for expressing my thoughts especially No. 3!

Back to the original topic at hand - the Washington Post has a great piece on Biden and Amtrak today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8082603569.html

Including a quote which gave me a good laugh:

Most often in recent years, Biden has taken the No. 2103, which leaves Wilmington at 7:35 a.m. and pulls into Union Station -- barring delays -- at 8:55 a.m. (Amtrak has become a recurring character in the hearings Biden participates in. "Gentlemen, I apologize," he told a Judiciary Committee hearing in 1996 when he showed up late. "One of those things that I keep telling my colleagues: If they fully funded Amtrak, I would not be late. [Pause.] And some suggest that's why they don't fully fund Amtrak.")
That is funny! Knowing now how Biden supports Amtrak I just might have considered voting for him if he were the presidential candidate or even if he was VP with Hillary being the candidate. But with Senator Biden carring and unqualified nominee on his back... I DON'T THINK SO! The position is just too important to fill any Johnny Come Lately into it!

Here's the thing, sports fans.
Some of Amtrak's biggest cuts occurred under the Carter administration. Those cuts IMO, really crippled the national system, leaving us fewer options on the table that we need NOW.

25 years ago, the policy-makers and bean-counters only saw numbers needing cutting.

I would prefer having a national intercity railroad passenger train system being perceived as something both political parties agree upon, and fully believe those on this forum need to work towards. Remember: 218+51+1 votes are needed to make any federal spending happen. Positioning the national intercity railroad passenger train system in terms of a single political party is a mistake that passenger train advocates cannot afford to make.

That's why I think that it's nice that Senator Biden rides Amtrak, but don't expect any miracles if he and his running mate are elected to office.
Here! Here!

And let's not forget the fact that Clinton/Gore promised the moon on passenger rail and gave us nada, nothing, zippo. In fact, cuts took place under the Clinton administration and that hideous self-sufficiency act was signed under his watch which started the 'glidepath' debacle that Amtrak is still paying for to this day.

Amtrak has had bi-partisan support in congress and to say one party supports it over another is simply ignoring facts and therefore does not lend itself to a truly honest debate.

I don't mean to be singling out Clinton/Gore here, but it is an example of when it comes to politicians, talk is cheap and I'll believe things when I see 'em.

Dan

Here's the thing, sports fans.
Some of Amtrak's biggest cuts occurred under the Carter administration. Those cuts IMO, really crippled the national system, leaving us fewer options on the table that we need NOW.

25 years ago, the policy-makers and bean-counters only saw numbers needing cutting.

I would prefer having a national intercity railroad passenger train system being perceived as something both political parties agree upon, and fully believe those on this forum need to work towards. Remember: 218+51+1 votes are needed to make any federal spending happen. Positioning the national intercity railroad passenger train system in terms of a single political party is a mistake that passenger train advocates cannot afford to make.

That's why I think that it's nice that Senator Biden rides Amtrak, but don't expect any miracles if he and his running mate are elected to office.
Here! Here!

And let's not forget the fact that Clinton/Gore promised the moon on passenger rail and gave us nada, nothing, zippo. In fact, cuts took place under the Clinton administration and that hideous self-sufficiency act was signed under his watch which started the 'glidepath' debacle that Amtrak is still paying for to this day.

Amtrak has had bi-partisan support in congress and to say one party supports it over another is simply ignoring facts and therefore does not lend itself to a truly honest debate.

I don't mean to be singling out Clinton/Gore here, but it is an example of when it comes to politicians, talk is cheap and I'll believe things when I see 'em.

Dan
Double Here Here Dan!

Your words echo what I've previously indicated, that regardless of who is elected president, it will have little effect on how Amtrak is later treated. Lawmakers are motivated by their party's idology first, followed by self interests then cross party involvement last. For Amtrak funding to improve as it should it's going to take public pressure and a strong advocacy as well as more bi-partisan cooperation! Using the famous words of Spock, "Live long and prosper" Amtrak :excl:

One thing I wanted to add here concerning McCain's choice for VP. One person that is getting a lot of buzz right now is Tim Pawlenty, the governor here in MN. Although a pretty conservative guy, he has been a pretty consistent supporter for public transportation. If McCain were to get it, it could offset his stance on Amtrak -- maybe. Again, I'm not holding my breath as I would turn blue and pass out. :p

Dan

1)There were 10 years and 17, yes 17 ignored resolutions passed by the UN. It was also very apparent to the world that the UN was a weak impotent body that was only good for pushing paper (a paper tiger if you will) and a body that would in all likelyhood never have acted even if there were as many as 100 resolutions. And why? Because there were nations, like Russia for instance, on the security council that would have never ever jeapordized the lucrative business arrangements they had with Iraq and many other nations that are not our friends.
Now talking and negotiatin is first and foremost the way to go, but there also has to be a point that you have to do more than talk and keep issuing meaningless resolutions until the cows come home. Simply put, when is enough enough? 20 years? 50 years? 100 years?

Look at it this way, if you (US) and a group of acquaintances (nations of the world) are walking down the street and the neighborhood bully (Iraq) who has been harrasing and hurting one of your aquaintances suddenly starts beating him mercylessly, would you and the other neighborhood aquaintences just stand around and do nothing to help defend that person because most of the other aquintences just stand there afraid to do anything, or would you have the courage to take the lead to try and help him even if no one or few follow to help? If you say of course you would jump in, then you are doing exactly what George W. Bush had the courage to do!
The point is, you can't have it both ways. Either everyone, including you, has to listen to the UN, or nobody does. "Mom says don't eat from the cookie jar! I SWEAR I WILL EAT ALL THE COOKIES IF YOU KEEP THIS UP!"

2) And forget about the weapons of mass destructions issue. It hasen't been proved that Bush had intellegence that differed from what the rest of the congress had when they decided to support Bush's actions! It's NOT A LIE when you find out after the fact that something was not as you thought it was no matter how much political opponants what you to believe otherwise! And don't even bring up that he made mistakes afterward! I'll answer that one right here up front... yes he did make mistakes, but he is only human like everyone else. He is after all our president and as such he is subject to criticisms - truthful criticisms. However, our president should alsos be supported by his country and not be undermined like he was for the sake of partisan politics.
There is lying. And then there is boldly going forth reading what you want to read. "I just drove here." You can read that to believe the person quoted is a car fanatic because they drive, etc. Or you can simply accept the fact that the person arrived in a vehicle that is operated by a person on a road. Which is all it actually says. Bush committed us to a war by reading and assuming a lot of things that simply turned out not to be accurate. That is not responsible of him, period.

Second, he claimed tons of WMDs and what not. He was wrong. He was flat out wrong. But did he say, to the nation, as this "courageous" man we elected, "My fellow Americans, one of the reasons we went into this war was because I believed something was there, and it wasn't. I'm sorry." I mean he could even have tacked on some downplay involving how much good we accomplished with it and I'd respect him more. I screw up. I do it quite often, actually. I always admit it, and if someone was hurt by it, I apologize. I expect no less of our leader.

3) This last item is something that makes me wonder why no one ever talks about it. Following Desert Storm's defeat of the Iraq army following the invasion into Kuwait, a no fly zone was established in the southern area of the country to protect Kuwait and possibly Saudi Arabia from future attacks. It wasn't long before Sadam starting thumbing his nose at and taunting the US who was officially the air guardian of the no fly zone. The violations kept getting more frequent and more daring and the previous president as best as I know did little about it. Then Comes George W, followed by 9-11 and way too many UN resolutions and you know the rest. So again I say, when is enough enough?
Saddam had just as much right to thumb his nose at the UN as we do. We aren't special. We aren't kindly. We aren't benevolent. We aren't humanitarians. We don't have a god given right to do what we want in the face of opposition any more than Hussein did. Crooks go free if our police don't follow the laws that govern how they should do their job. That is what we have decided to base our system on. On the unwavering belief of government of the people, for the people, by the people. And on the the inalienable human rights of any individual, including the right to not be tortured into self incrimination.

Hobbling system, I know. Quite often not fair for victims. All that. I know. Were I crowned king of the world, with unmitigated, absolute power, there would be some changes around here, let me tell you. I personally think they'd be for the good of all man kind. The main one is that if a lawyer chooses to defend someone, and they turn up guilty, they get punished the same as the guilty. But thats besides the point.

I'm not absolute dictator of the world, and neither is George W. Bush. He has rules he has to follow, inconvenient or not. The people's representatives, the congress of the United States, chose some time ago to belong as members of a world governing body, the United Nations. Last time I checked, they did not vote to secede from it. That means we are bound by the rules and regulations entailed in being a member of it, like it or not. Maybe its desirable to invade Iraq. Maybe its desirable for me to mug somebody and make some money. Doesn't mean I can do it, because it is illegal. (Not to mention wrong!)

Hypocrisy is the worst scourge of humanity, and anyone who perpetuates it on a grand scale deserves to be boiled in oil. Unfortunately, that is cruel and unusual, so I guess we'll just have to hang them.

Now as someone previously told me, "I'm not going to change anyones mind," but I do believe that some people who do maintain an open mind and can change their opinions, and that there are some people who have made up their minds no matter what, and there are also some people who would like to see speach suppressed when facts and opinions that differ from their own are presented. (dont confuse this last statement with my previous request to close this topic. That request was made because it was becoming apparant that I was being singled out along with one other person because our political beliefs differered from the other two posters involved)
Again thank you for providing me a reason for expressing my thoughts especially No. 3!
If you come up with something that is convincing, you'll convince me. Of that I promise you.

Here! Here!

Dan
I dunno other people, but its not that McCain is a republican that bothers me. He could be a member of the HooberGoober policy and I'd feel the same way. McCain, with regard to Amtrak, has displayed quite a history of not supporting it, personally. Biden has, as has Obama. On this issue, as with most others, I go with the track record. I remember the kid who got elected in my school council by promising soda would be free. Yeah. Right.

I never thought I'd see a thread ON AN AMTRAK DISCUSSION BOARD hit Godwin's Law. As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving ****s or Hitler approaches one.

You say that as though mentioning an atrocity is a bad thing. Going back to earlier history it was common to pile up rocks at a special place so that those who passed it again would remember the events that occurred there and pass it down.

I don't know (or care, once again) who Godwin was and find Wiki an interesting and potentially very biased experience in collective opinions, but I do know H* survivors, personally. It SHOULD be referenced. It was quite possibly the most horrific event of the last century and yet there are many who want to silence those who refer to it as a real occurence and among us in this country are people who believe in the supremacy of one race. It should be passed down to every generation as an occasion of what happens when assumptions are made and when people look the other way. And YES, those rails were used for evil purposes.

1)There were 10 years and 17, yes 17 ignored resolutions passed by the UN. It was also very apparent to the world that the UN was a weak impotent body that was only good for pushing paper (a paper tiger if you will) and a body that would in all likelyhood never have acted even if there were as many as 100 resolutions. And why? Because there were nations, like Russia for instance, on the security council that would have never ever jeapordized the lucrative business arrangements they had with Iraq and many other nations that are not our friends.

The point is, you can't have it both ways. Either everyone, including you, has to listen to the UN, or nobody does. "Mom says don't eat from the cookie jar! I SWEAR I WILL EAT ALL THE COOKIES IF YOU KEEP THIS UP!"

2) And forget about the weapons of mass destructions issue. It hasen't been proved that Bush had intellegence that differed from what the rest of the congress had when they decided to support Bush's actions! It's NOT A LIE when you find out after the fact that something was not as you thought it was no matter how much political opponants what you to believe otherwise! And don't even bring up that he made mistakes afterward! I'll answer that one right here up front... yes he did make mistakes, but he is only human like everyone else. He is after all our president and as such he is subject to criticisms - truthful criticisms. However, our president should alsos be supported by his country and not be undermined like he was for the sake of partisan politics.
There is lying. And then there is boldly going forth reading what you want to read. "I just drove here." You can read that to believe the person quoted is a car fanatic because they drive, etc. Or you can simply accept the fact that the person arrived in a vehicle that is operated by a person on a road. Which is all it actually says. Bush committed us to a war by reading and assuming a lot of things that simply turned out not to be accurate. That is not responsible of him, period.

Second, he claimed tons of WMDs and what not. He was wrong. He was flat out wrong. But did he say, to the nation, as this "courageous" man we elected, "My fellow Americans, one of the reasons we went into this war was because I believed something was there, and it wasn't. I'm sorry." I mean he could even have tacked on some downplay involving how much good we accomplished with it and I'd respect him more. I screw up. I do it quite often, actually. I always admit it, and if someone was hurt by it, I apologize. I expect no less of our leader.

3) This last item is something that makes me wonder why no one ever talks about it. Following Desert Storm's defeat of the Iraq army following the invasion into Kuwait, a no fly zone was established in the southern area of the country to protect Kuwait and possibly Saudi Arabia from future attacks. It wasn't long before Sadam starting thumbing his nose at and taunting the US who was officially the air guardian of the no fly zone. The violations kept getting more frequent and more daring and the previous president as best as I know did little about it. Then Comes George W, followed by 9-11 and way too many UN resolutions and you know the rest. So again I say, when is enough enough?
Saddam had just as much right to thumb his nose at the UN as we do. We aren't special. We aren't kindly. We aren't benevolent. We aren't humanitarians. We don't have a god given right to do what we want in the face of opposition any more than Hussein did. Crooks go free if our police don't follow the laws that govern how they should do their job. That is what we have decided to base our system on. On the unwavering belief of government of the people, for the people, by the people. And on the the inalienable human rights of any individual, including the right to not be tortured into self incrimination.

Hobbling system, I know. Quite often not fair for victims. All that. I know. Were I crowned king of the world, with unmitigated, absolute power, there would be some changes around here, let me tell you. I personally think they'd be for the good of all man kind. The main one is that if a lawyer chooses to defend someone, and they turn up guilty, they get punished the same as the guilty. But thats besides the point.

I'm not absolute dictator of the world, and neither is George W. Bush. He has rules he has to follow, inconvenient or not. The people's representatives, the congress of the United States, chose some time ago to belong as members of a world governing body, the United Nations. Last time I checked, they did not vote to secede from it. That means we are bound by the rules and regulations entailed in being a member of it, like it or not. Maybe its desirable to invade Iraq. Maybe its desirable for me to mug somebody and make some money. Doesn't mean I can do it, because it is illegal. (Not to mention wrong!)

Hypocrisy is the worst scourge of humanity, and anyone who perpetuates it on a grand scale deserves to be boiled in oil. Unfortunately, that is cruel and unusual, so I guess we'll just have to hang them.

If you come up with something that is convincing, you'll convince me. Of that I promise you.

Here! Here!

Dan
I dunno other people, but its not that McCain is a republican that bothers me. He could be a member of the HooberGoober policy and I'd feel the same way. McCain, with regard to Amtrak, has displayed quite a history of not supporting it, personally. Biden has, as has Obama. On this issue, as with most others, I go with the track record. I remember the kid who got elected in my school council by promising soda would be free. Yeah. Right.
I will respond to your responses by simply saying that I will let my words stand against yours. People are intellegent and can think for them selves and make their own conclusions. They need not respond openly to these issues, but think they should, think about what you have written and what I have written and be truthful to themselves in those conclusions! Thank you for your perspective and have a nice day.

I may become unpopular by doing this, but I am going to close this thread now. It has long outlived its usefulness and pertinence. Start a new thread on something else Amtrak-related, and hopefully it will not end up entirely overcome by politics that have nothing to do with Amtrak, its leadership, direction, or federal subsidies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back