Big news out of Virginia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the question is: When are actual titles transferred to the various agencies ? Is there still a wait for funds and is there wait for the actual infrastructure bill signed ? I can not see why Virginia to ask for interest in bidding on the Long Bridge project. That would tighten up time line for request for bids.

I am pleased to see Virginia closing the deal to buy track and ROW.

I wish NY would do the same. :-(

Buying track and right of way is one of the best capital expenditures a government can make, and one of the few that justifies the expense. The parcels of land tend to be so narrow plus each one is essential to the entire purpose, so they seem really expensive - but they only go up in price. This type of thing could have cost twice as much in five years.

It seems to me that what Virginia has done creates a template that could be followed by other States. Such as in my State of Ohio.

Under Governor Kasich, the State paid 53 cents per person per year for public transportation. Anyone who gave someone a dollar towards bus far was twice as generous as the Governor. It's going to take decades to undo the damage Kasich did to cities and public transit, even as I liked some of his other political positions.

Under Governor Kasich, the State paid 53 cents per person per year for public transportation. Anyone who gave someone a dollar towards bus far was twice as generous as the Governor. It's going to take decades to undo the damage Kasich did to cities and public transit, even as I liked some of his other political positions.

Ain't that the truth.

Thanks. It amazes me that after all this talk in the US about higher speed rail, the turnouts and crossovers proposed here are good for only 30 MPH. [There are some also proposed for lower speeds!] As long as there are new ones going in, they should install #20 or #25 crossovers for eventual higher speeds of 40 and 50 MPH respectively. My, the bar is low here.

Thanks. It amazes me that after all this talk in the US about higher speed rail, the turnouts and crossovers proposed here are good for only 30 MPH. [There are some also proposed for lower speeds!] As long as there are new ones going in, they should install #20 or #25 crossovers for eventual higher speeds of 40 and 50 MPH respectively. My, the bar is low here.
The #10s are only for MOW sidings though. The #15s are basically continuation of what is currently there. Just an observation. I wonder what the current and envisaged speed limit is on that segment.

Every train is going to stop at L'Enfant Plaza, so not much point in trying to get super-high speeds through there (which you can't due to tight curves anyway). Also, in the final design, trains shouldn't be changing tracks often -- there's a southbound passenger main, a northbound passenger main, a southbound freight main, and a northbound freight main, and trains won't cross between them in regular service except for a few NS freight trains -- so keep an eye on the "straight-railed" speeds, and don't worry too much about the crossover/turnout speeds.

Last edited:
Back