Big suitcase?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcnews

OBS Chief
My wife found a very large suitcase today, which we plan to use on our upcoming trip later this week. I hope it is not too big?

We will be going business class on a Northeast regional from Ashland to WAS. In Ashland (an unmanned stop), there are no checked baggage arrangements - just carry on, but the business class can often be sparse on a Saturday morning, so there should be room in the BC car...

After that we will then connect to the Capital Limited to Chicago with a roomette, and later, on to the SW Chief to Albuquerque (sleeper).

The big black bag is 31" tall or 33" if you count the rollers, but I think they consider it to be 31". The bag is a little over 20" wide (about 20.5") and about 12" deep.

The advantage of this very large bag is we don't end up with so many smaller bags, etc.. We most likely will have two more smaller bags, so we would have 3 total for two people. But one being quite large...

Would they prohibit us from getting on the Northeast Regional with this large of a bag? Or in Washington, would they question the 31" size. I plan to just carry it onto our sleeping car and place it on the luggage rack in the lower level, but I could easily check it - if that is better?

I think we would be OK...

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically (according to the policy posted on the Amtrak website), your big bag would be too big for a carry-on. The policy states:

"Each passenger can have a total of 2 carry-on bags, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg), 28 x 22 x 14 inches (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters)."

As a checked bag, there would be no problem, as the checked bag policy states:

"Each passenger can check up to 4 bags - 2 free of charge and 2 for $20 per bag, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg), 75 linear inches (length + width + height)."

But since there is no checked baggage taken at your starting location, the onboard staff may well just look the other way when you board with a huge carry-on.

Thanks - I think we will be OK, since it does (barely) adhere to the the checked limitations of 75 linear inches. Plus we have business class tickets, so that may help just a bit... And it is a short trip up to DC, about 85 miles.

I measure 31 plus 21 plus 12 == 65 or so linear inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back