Biggest Cities With no Rail service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
battalion51 said:
The it was stated it sounded like he meant "Some of these state capitals don't have service," obviously he meant, "Among these are some state capitals without service." By the way Guest, I would've fallen asleep in English not Geography. :unsure:
I'm wouldn't be suprised if you slept through every class.

Extra Credit

Question 1 - Which of the cities in my long list of unserved cities is a state capital?

Question 2 - What state capitals are currently served by Amtrak?

Amtrak Watcher said:
Extra Credit
Question 1 - Which of the cities in my long list of unserved cities is a state capital?

I know the capital of Montana. It's "M".

I'm in Baton Rouge and I have to go to Lafayette to catch the train! :angry: The train goes from Hammond (east of Baton Rouge) to New Orleans (south of Baton Rouge) to Lafayette (west of Baton Rouge). It skips Baton Rouge on purpose to go down to New Orleans. I guess New Orleans is more important. :(

The following 28 state capitals have Amtrak train service:

Arkansas, Little Rock

California, Sacramento

Colorado, Denver

Connecticut, Hartford

Florida, Tallahassee

Georgia, Atlanta

Illinois, Springfield

Indiana, Indianapolis

Kansas, Topeka

Massachusetts, Boston

Michigan, Lansing

Minnesota, St. Paul

Mississippi, Jackson

Missouri, Jefferson City

Nebraska, Lincoln

New Jersey, Trenton

New York, Albany

North Carolina, Raleigh

Oklahoma, Oklahoma City

Oregon, Salem

Pennsylvania, Harrisburg

Rhode Island, Providence

South Carolina, Columbia

Texas, Austin

Utah, Salt Lake City

Virginia, Richmond

Washington, Olympia

West Virginia, Charleston

The following 9 state capitals do not have Amtrak train service, but have Amtrak Thruway bus service:

Alabama, Montgomery

Arizona, Phoenix

Idaho, Boise

Nevada, Carson City

New Hampshire, Concord

New Mexico, Santa Fe

Ohio, Columbus

Tennessee, Nashville

Wisconsin, Madison

The following 13 state capitals have no Amtrak service:

Alaska, Juneau

Delaware, Dover

Hawaii, Honolulu

Iowa, Des Moines

Kentucky, Frankfort

Louisiana, Baton Rouge

Maine, Augusta

Maryland, Annapolis

Montana, Helena

North Dakota, Bismarck

South Dakota, Pierre

Vermont, Montpelier

Wyoming, Cheyenne

Amtrak Watcher said:
Extra Credit

1.State capitals on the list:

Phoenix, AZ

Cheyenne, WY

Nashville, TN

Montgomery, AL

Columbus, OH

Des Moines, IA

Baton Rouge, LA

Carson City, NV

Madison, WI

Honolulu, HI

Anchorage, AK

2. State Capitals with service:

Boston, MA

Albany, NY

Providence, RI

Hartford, CT

Springfield, IL

Sacramento, CA

Austin, TX

Tallahassee, FL

Harrisburg, PA

Raleigh, NC

Richmond, VA

Lansing, MI

Omaha, NE

St. Paul, MN

Indianapolis, IN

Charleston, WV

Columbia, SC

Olympia, WA

Santa Fe, NM(via Thruway bus)

Montpelier, VT

Concord, NH(via Thruway bus)

Jefferson City, MO

Oklahoma City, OK

Topeka, KS

Trenton, NJ

Denver, CO

Boise, ID(via Thruway bus)

Atlanta, GA

Jackson, MS

Little Rock, AR

Nashville, TN(via Thruway bus)

Salt Lake City, UT

Dover, DE(via Thruway bus)

Phoenix, AZ(via Thruway bus)

Amtrak also has service to two Canadian Provincial capitals with Toronto and Vancouver being served

Guest said:
I know the capital of Montana.  It's "M".
I too thought so, but a visit to Merriam-Webster shut me up.

Code:
Main Entry: 3capital
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Italian; French, from Italian capitale, from capitale, adjective, chief, principal, from Latin capitalis

3 [2capital] a : a city serving as a seat of government b : a city preeminent in some special activity <the fashion capital>
The numbers attached to "capital" are in fact superscript.

"capitol" seems to refer to the building itself?

Code:
Main Entry: cap·i·tol 
Pronunciation: 'ka-p&-t&l, 'kap-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin Capitolium, temple of Jupiter at Rome on the Capitoline hill
1 a : a building in which a state legislative body meets b : a group of buildings in which the functions of state government are carried out
2 capitalized : the building in which the U.S. Congress meets at Washington
with no alternate definitions.

Anthony said:
Guest said:
Suprizing, indeed.

(Clever...) :lol:
Good call sir. :lol: I don't sleep throguh classes, I skip them. It's nice to be a walking hall pass. What school do you know that lets a Senior order $17,000 in equipment? Mine. Who's the Senior? Me.

battalion51 said:
Anthony said:
Guest said:
Suprizing, indeed.

(Clever...) :lol:
Good call sir. :lol: I don't sleep throguh classes, I skip them. It's nice to be a walking hall pass. What school do you know that lets a Senior order $17,000 in equipment? Mine. Who's the Senior? Me.
You would be suprised what you can get, if you know the right people in the school district. Plus with all these grants out there, you can get the equipment at no cost.

While Anchorage, AK, is not on Amtrak's system, it does have the Alaska Railroad that still offers daily passenger train service to Fairbanks (to the north)--with two round trips during the summer months--and to Whittier and Seward to the south. And the Alaska is still a private railroad running privately-run passenger trains!

steve_relei said:
While Anchorage, AK, is not on Amtrak's system, it does have the Alaska Railroad that still offers daily passenger train service to Fairbanks (to the north)--with two round trips during the summer months--and to Whittier and Seward to the south. And the Alaska is still a private railroad running privately-run passenger trains!
I thought the Alaska railraod was owned by the state.

engine999 said:
steve_relei said:
I thought the Alaska railraod was owned by the state.
You are indeed correct, it hass been owned by the State of Alaska since 1985 as per this webpage

The Alaska Railroad Corporation is a self-sustaining, full-service railroad serving ports and communities from the Gulf of Alaska to Fairbanks. Owned by the State of Alaska since 1985, the Railroad is overseen by a seven-member Board of Directors appointed by the Governor of Alaska.

Also the Alaska Railroad does not serve the state capital which is Juneau- it does serve the largest cities and biggest attractions though.

Back