bike on train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sara

I am taking my bike on the train to Colorado. However, I am getting on at a manned station where they can load my bike, but when I get to COlorado, my station is not manned, so I cannot take my bike off of the train. Any suggestions??

All I can say is to get off at the next to ther nearest stop where luggage/bicycles can be handled. You may also want to call Amtrak to see if an exception could be made. Sorry if I can't be more of a help. :)

I was on the Southwest Chief a little more than a year ago (in the middle of winter - almost an empty train), and found a bike in the unused family bedroom in one of the sleepers. The bike belonged to someone in a sleeper room who was getting off at an unmanned station in the middle of the night (Dodge City or Newton I believe). The conductor apparently allowed it, evidently because he knew the family bedroom would not be used.

I was on the same train this past summer (the train was packed full), and discovered that the service staff on the train retrieved a bike from the baggage car at an unmanned station for a sleeping car passenger getting off in the middle of the night.

The way bikes are handled seems to be rather informal. Call Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back