Birmingham, Alabama Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know when the new Amtrak station in Birmingham will be opened ? I have made 6 trips to the Magic City on the Crescent since 2014. The way the have you drop off and pick up, I am surprised there hasn't been an accident yet involving someone pulling out into traffic. I will be glad when it is done because the small waiting room can get congested if 19 is running late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I recall reading an article last year, saying it would be open by March of 2017. I can tell you, when I arrived in April of this year from DC, it was to the old station still. I live in Birmingham, but rarely go downtown. I will take a trip over there soon and see, I need to figure it out anyway, I'm leaving on Jan 12th, for a trip anyway, out of Birmingham. I'll let you know what I find.

In my short time living here, I'm learning that timelines are meaningless, projects will only be half completed, and not much actually happens. Whether it's completing the North Loop (money ran out, half a highway to nowhere), the new train station (I know they're doing SOMETHING) the replacement of the old "Malfunction Junction" (I-65/20/59 interchange) with the all new and unimproved "malfunction junction", to even ordering a burger, nothing happens fast, it probably won't be right, and after paying, you'll feel somehow dirty........I guess it's how things are done in Dixie......

What year? 2137?
default_huh.png

..................... nothing happens fast, it probably won't be right, and after paying, you'll feel somehow dirty........I guess it's how things are done in Dixie......
That’s not the Birmingham I’ve experienced when visiting a nephew or my brother who was susccessfully dianogsed and cured of a rare brain infection at Unifverstiy Hospital. Perhaps you mistook politeness and concern for others with slowness.

And certainly Dreamland BBQ is about as good as it gets or Irondale Cafe for the best in southern cooking with non stop NS action out the window.

..................... nothing happens fast, it probably won't be right, and after paying, you'll feel somehow dirty........I guess it's how things are done in Dixie......
Thats not the Birmingham Ive experienced when visiting a nephew or my brother who was susccessfully dianogsed and cured of a rare brain infection at Unifverstiy Hospital. Perhaps you mistook politeness and concern for others with slowness. And certainly Dreamland BBQ is about as good as it gets or Irondale Cafe for the best in southern cooking with non stop NS action out the window.
Yes, yes, it was all (somewhat) tongue in cheek. But this really is a bit of a different world here. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Living here is much different than visiting. Like most of the South. I've lived in Atlanta and Savannah for a few years each also.
And yes Dreamland is good, next time you're in the area, go to the original. In Tuscaloosa.

Interesting. My next trip leaves Jan 12th. Guess we'all see. Flying back, and there is no parking there that I'm aware of so will be parking at the airport and taking an Uber over to the station. I guess if I get there and the door is boarded up, I'lol know to go find the new one!

Of course, the sad part is that they've now rebuilt the Birmingham station either two or three times (I forget which)... without touching the platforms or the elevator to the platforms. Which must await some future century.

Of course, the sad part is that they've now rebuilt the Birmingham station either two or three times (I forget which)... without touching the platforms or the elevator to the platforms. Which must await some future century.
Now that is sad, considering their condition.
It's because the track and platforms are owned by the railroad and the City has nothing to do with them.

No, it's really not because of that. The track and platforms get renovated in other station projects regardless of who has legal title to them.

Yep! Amtrak made their move into the new station earlier this week!

Greyhound should arrive in late spring or early summer and, with that, Thruway connection to Nashville and Montgomery!

There's an article and photos on the TARP website at www.tarprail.org.

BHM4.jpg

BHM6.jpg

BHM5.jpg

Back